Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,988 Members 44,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Enable Multiuser on Nexus 5 (Root)

Tip us?

wd5gnr
Old
(Last edited by wd5gnr; 5th January 2014 at 03:44 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Default [HOW-TO] Enable Multiuser on Nexus 5 (Root)

My 32GB Nexus 5 is less of a phone and more of a small tablet. But multiuser is not enabled!

You might ask, why do I want multiuser? Well... perhaps you give your phone to kids to play with on long trips. Or perhaps you want a "test" set of settings. Or you want to separate work and personal. Or maybe you just like to customize.

You do need the following:
1) Root
2) A way to enable the lock screen to rotate (I suggest Gravity Box: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2316070)
3) A way to edit your build.prop. (Do it old school or an app such as https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ld.prop.editor)
4) A current backup!

It is easy enough to do if you can edit your build.prop. This requires root, and YOU REALLY MUST BACKUP before you mess with build.prop. Seriously. Back up. It just takes a few minutes.

You can edit build.prop by pulling it to a PC and pushing it back or you can use a build.prop editor from the market (I used the one built into Android System Tuner Pro (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....pmw.pro&hl=en) because I was feeling lazy). If you are doing it by hand the build.prop is in /system/ The line you need is:

Code:
fw.max_users=4
You can set 4 to however many users you want to be able to support.

Reboot.

At this point, it seems like nothing has happened. You need to go to Settings and you'll find a new entry:

If you click Users you should be able to figure it out from there:

Once you have set up a new user, you can press your user name in the settings to get to the lock screen. In portrait mode, it will look normal. But if you rotate to landscape mode you will see an icon for each user you've defined. If you set a different lock type/code for each (a PIN or a swipe code) you will have "some" security between users.

I did this on the 4.2.2 OTA that was slightly repackaged here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2557523

You'd imagine it would work on most other ROMs that don't already support it, but BACK UP FIRST just in case!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-04-10-56-08.png
Views:	4698
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	2493946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-04-10-56-19.png
Views:	4579
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	2493947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-05-09-41-24.png
Views:	3164
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2495902  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wd5gnr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ldubs
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Default sweet

Thanks for this find! So what's the default on fw.max_users? 1?

Thinking I might set this up so that when my son keeps asking "can I play on your phone" he gets his own setup. Interesting.

Insert witty, pithy, androidy statement here

wd5gnr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
The default is the line is not there. This apparently sets it to a single user.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Juansegovia20
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd5gnr View Post
The default is the line is not there. This apparently sets it to a single user.

So the line is not there? So we just click on edit and add this line?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juansegovia20 View Post
So the line is not there? So we just click on edit and add this line?

Edit: i went and add the line to build prop and it worked

idriff
Old
(Last edited by idriff; 5th January 2014 at 04:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 23
just added the line to the build.prop and its working

Edit: any special setting i need to add to make it rotate on lockscreen?

Edit2: nvm just found out that i had an option to enable user selection on power screen
Google Nexus 5 Owner
Stock with Xposed.

remixkilla
Old
Thanks Meter 59
How do you switch users?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

wd5gnr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Oh yeah. I use xposed and gravity box to enable rotating lock screen. Forgot about that. To switch users you need the landscape lockscreen. My bad! Still, xposed and gravity box are a great add on too.

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 490

DONATE TO ME
Good find. There's a couple other ways too like the app SwitchMe or my favorite: I just dual boot. The phone boots so fast that it's less than a minute to boot to the other side. That way my wife can set up the phone to be less confusing since my phone is mostly gesture based and not for the novice.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)

remixkilla
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd5gnr View Post
Oh yeah. I use xposed and gravity box to enable rotating lock screen. Forgot about that. To switch users you need the landscape lockscreen. My bad! Still, xposed and gravity box are a great add on too.

Thanks

YTayyar
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Is there any solution yet for (com.android.phone force closed) in the secondary user?
thanks