5,599,394 Members 37,846 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How To] Forward Google Voice to Canada without 3rd party apps and for free!

Tip us?

dj_aj
Old
(Last edited by dj_aj; 3rd December 2013 at 08:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Info 2 [How To] Forward Google Voice to Canada without 3rd party apps and for free!

Disclaimer: This may not be the right section for this thread but I didn't know where else to put it. And since I verified this setup on a Nexus 5, I figured this is the best bet.
I stayed in the US for a few years and have an active Google Voice number that my friends in the US call to contact me. Thus, I needed a free method to forward those calls to Canada.
Yes, There are a few of 3rd party apps like GrooveIP that not only let you receive calls but also make calls over data. However, I don't like 3rd party app notifications in my status bar constantly and needed a free solution that would work.
My solution however, only uses the default phone dialer app to receive forwarded calls over SIP.

Step 1
  • Get yourself a Google Voice number. There are many guides on the internet on how to achieve this via the use of proxies/vpn services.
Step 2
  • Create a free Sip2Sip account here: https://mdns.sipthor.net/register_sip_account.phtml
  • Once you receive the confirmation email, Login and go to the ‘Settings’ panel.
  • Uncheck Reject Anonymous, change the no answer timeout to 60 seconds and uncheck Voicemail Enable. Then click Save at the bottom.
  • Then click on the ‘Identity’ panel and leave that page open.
Step 3
  • Open a new browser tab and signup for an IPKall account here: http://phone.ipkall.com/
  • All the information to be filled out will be available on the ‘Identity’ panel on sip2sip.
  • Where it says SIP URI Username, enter your username from the account you created on Sip2Sip.
  • Enter sip2sip.info in the Domain field.
  • Choose any password and complete the signup.
  • Wait for IPKall to email you your new number and account info.
Step 4
  • Go to Google Voice Settings and click to Add a new number.
  • Choose a name for this number, I named it ‘Ipkall’ to make it easier to recognize. And type in the phone number that Ipkall emailed you. then click save.
  • More than likely, the IPKall number assigned to you may have already been used earlier by another Google Voice user. It’ll ask you to reclaim that number by verifying it. That’s okay, we’ll get to that in a bit.
Step 5
  • On your android device, open the Phone dialer and go to settings. Then open ‘Call Settings’.
  • Scroll all the way down to Internet Call Settings and click on Accounts. Make sure that there is a check mark next to Receive incoming calls. Then click on Add account on the bottom.
  • Enter your sip2sip username and password in the respective fields. In the server field, enter sip2sip.info. Then uncheck set as primary account and click on Optional Settings. Under outbound proxy address, enter proxy.sipthor.net
  • Then click save and wait for it to register. Once done it should say Receiving Call under “username@sip2sip.info”.
  • That’s it, go back to Google Voice settings and reclaim the IPkall number assigned to you. If you didn’t have this issue then you are already set to go.
  • Place a few test calls to your Google Voice Number and check to see if they’re being forwarded to your Phone over SIP.
  • BONUS: You can also use this setup to get Google Voice to connect you to US phone numbers for free. Visit the Google Voice website, enter the phone number you'd like to call and choose your ipkall number as the phone to connect with. OR you could get a Google Voice call back app to do this on your phone.
Device: Nexus 5 (Primary) & Samsung Galaxy S4 (Backup)
GalaxyS2Root Blog

wyrman
Old
Thanks Meter 33
So doing this I can call and receive calls anywhere free of charge and not using any data?

dj_aj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrman View Post
So doing this I can call and receive calls anywhere free of charge and not using any data?
As long as you are on wifi, there's no charge and no use of your data.

When you're not on wifi, this method will use data but not your minutes.
Device: Nexus 5 (Primary) & Samsung Galaxy S4 (Backup)
GalaxyS2Root Blog

wyrman
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_aj View Post
As long as you are on wifi, there's no charge and no use of your data.

When you're not on wifi, this method will use data but not your minutes.
No good for Cuba.

hoktrillian
Old
(Last edited by hoktrillian; 4th December 2013 at 06:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
For Canadian users want to use mobile air time minutes instead of data, I would recommend Voxox instead. Voxox will let you have an telephone number in southern California, United States for free which can forward incoming calls via PSTN to any telephone number in Canada or United States for free. You do not even have to install their app. It is a lot simpler to setup, but again, it use your mobile voice minutes instead of data.

Sull2
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Interesting I may give this a shot thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5
Tags
canada, forward, free, google voice, sip