5,594,221 Members 45,546 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Play games in full screen on the fly with expanded desktop + pie controls

Tip us?

_MetalHead_
Old
(Last edited by _MetalHead_; 4th December 2013 at 05:37 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1987
Default [HOW-TO] Play games in full screen on the fly with expanded desktop + pie controls

If you're anything like me, you love the nav bar but HATE it when you're gaming. Well I just stumbled across a solution that made me the happiest person in the world. In this guide I will show you how to add a toggle to your quicksettings that will hide the navbar and give you pie controls on demand for full screen gaming or whenever you just want to ditch the navbar easily.

This method requires root, Xposed framework + GravityBox.

*I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW UP YOUR PHONE*
  1. If you haven't already, download + install Xposed Framework.
    Refer to this thread for framework + install instructions- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1574401

2. Download + install GravityBox and enable it in the Xposed Installer.
    Get it here- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2554049

3. Open GravityBox and go to Display tweaks. Enable Expanded desktop mode and set it to hide navigation bar (you can set it to hide the status bar as well if you like but this is not necessary to go full screen for gaming)

4. Go to Statusbar tweaks and hit Pie controls. Enable pie controls with the "when expanded desktop is on" setting. Now click Trigger positions and check the bottom and right border options. It would be wise to also shrink the trigger size down, so you don't accidentally hit it. I have mine set at 2px and you basically need to swipe in from the edge to bring up the pie.

5. Also in Statusbar tweaks, go to QuickSettings management and then Statusbar Quicksettings tiles. Select/deselect whatever tiles you want or don't want, just make sure that Expanded Desktop is selected.
    if you enable the advanced reboot menu (power tweaks), you can toggle expanded desktop from there as well

6. Reboot your phone

Once this is all done, you can pull down your quicksettings shade and just hit the Expanded desktop toggle and your navbar will magically disappear and get replaced with pie controls. When done gaming, hit the toggle again and your navbar will reappear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-03-23-28-52.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	2431945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-03-23-29-47.png
Views:	469
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	2431946  
\m/(-_-)\m/
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to _MetalHead_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

_MetalHead_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1987
Bump for all the gamers!
\m/(-_-)\m/

Ali812
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I came from a Galaxy S4 so the perk there was enjoying the 5" screen without any on-screen buttons. Using your method I managed to hide the navbar completely and use pie.

Only differences I made is that PIE controls are active at all times and I changed the navbar height to 0 to completely hide it

_MetalHead_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali812 View Post
I came from a Galaxy S4 so the perk there was enjoying the 5" screen without any on-screen buttons. Using your method I managed to hide the navbar completely and use pie.

Only differences I made is that PIE controls are active at all times and I changed the navbar height to 0 to completely hide it
Yeah I tried going the always PIE route and it got annoying after awhile. I like the navbar when just using the phone for normal stuff like browsing, but hate it when I'm playing a game. I had it shrunk to 30% when in landscape and that worked great for me up until I figured this out. This essentially gives us our own immersive mode that works on everything. Did this on my Moto X too.
\m/(-_-)\m/

makkles
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Awesome! Was getting a bit fed up with the bar lurking at the side of the screen there.

SupWiz17
Old
Thanks Meter 67
What game is that first person shooter in your screenshot?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Nexus 4 running RBJ with Trinity

Nexus 7 running RBJ with Trinity

_MetalHead_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupWiz17 View Post
What game is that first person shooter in your screenshot?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Neon Shadow. Great game.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
\m/(-_-)\m/