Flag Newnan
Thanks Meter: 1,667

2,518 posts
More

OTA Help-Desk

*4.4.4 KTU84P Available*

*4.4.3 KTU84M Available*

First, let's talk about what an OTA is:

An OTA (Over the Air) update is the method of updating your phone's software. When the OTA is downloaded to your phone it will prompt you to reboot and install. It is not a complete image, but a series of patches to the OS. Patches in the OTA can include: bootloader, radio, system, recovery and kernel. While it's installing, the script checks the files it is patching to make sure the original files are correct. If everything is correct, the update will finish successfully. If it's not, the process will stop. That's why it is critical to make sure everything is in its "out of the box" state. Don't worry though. It is easy to get your phone back to a state where you will have it up and running, with the latest software.

We are also able to manually flash this file. When the URL of the OTA is discovered, you can download it and use adb or a custom recovery to apply it.

Now that you have read the important info above, Let's update your Nexus 5!

In order for the OTA to apply successfully without intervention; you must be completely stock
  • From 4.4.3 KTU84M
  • Current Bootloader: HHZ11k
  • Current Radio:M8974A-2.0.50.1.13
  • Stock Kernel: 3.4.0-gd59db4e

• From 4.4.2 KOT49H
  • Current Bootloader: HHZ11k
  • Current Radio: M8974A-1.0.25.0.23
  • Stock Kernel: 3.4.0-gadb2201
  • All /system apps present
  • No modifications to existing /system files of ANY kind.
Note: Literally any modification will break the OTA. Xposed, DPI, build.prop, volume mod, etc. ANYTHING!
Seriously, I'm not joking guys.

If you meet the above criteria, the OTA will complete successfully.
If you don’t meet the criteria or don’t want to wait for the OTA to hit your device then see below.

Current OTA's

4.4.4-KTU84P-from-4.4.3-KTU84M: http://android.clients.google.com/pa...M.c08cce45.zip Thanks @sucro

Legacy OTA's

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...50&postcount=1 Thanks @oldblue910

These are the most common scenarios. If you aren't sure where you fit, feel free to ask.

Scenario #1
You are completely stock. Unlocked/locked bootloader. No root permissions.
Continue to Section A

Scenario #2
You are stock, with root. Custom Recovery without any modifications or deletions.
Continue to Section B

Scenario #3
You are stock, with Xposed Framework installed.
Continue to Section C

Scenario #4
You are stock, with a custom kernel and/or old radio and no other modifications.
Continue to Section D,1

Scenario #5
You are stock with any modifications to /system/ including removed system apk(s) and a custom kernel.
Continue to Section D,2 or See 2nd Post (Special Scenario #1) **Special Scenario #1 is not updated yet**

Scenario #6
You are running a Custom ROM
Continue to Section D,3

Section A: adb sideload

NOTE:Make sure you have the latest version of adb. It seems people are having issues with older versions. It's attached at the bottom of this post.

1) Download the OTA.zip on your PC, rename the file update.zip, then place file in the same directory as adb.
2) Make sure you have USB Debugging checking in the Developer Options, then connect your phone.
3) Open the command prompt from the directory above on your PC and type the command: 'adb reboot recovery'
4) When in recovery, you’ll see an android laying down. Press volume up and release. The menu will appear. Select “apply update from adb”
5) Using the command prompt type: 'adb sideload update.zip' The file will load and the update will begin.
6) When completed, select reboot.

Section B: Flashing in a Custom Recovery (TWRP- CWM)

1) Download the OTA.zip and copy to your phone.
2) Boot into recovery.
3) Flash the OTA just like you would a ROM.
4) Reboot.

Section C: Uninstalling Xposed Framework

Use the Xposed Framework Installer to remove the framework before applying the OTA.
Go into Xposed Framework, Framework-> Uninstall (it will restore the original file "app_process") then reboot.
NOTE: If you just uninstall Xposed Framework (the app itself), even after a reboot the "app_process" file (in /system/bin) is still the modified one by Xposed Framework, the original file is not restored.
Xposed Installer and info can be found here.

Once Xposed is uninstalled; jump back up to Section A on stock recovery and Section B on custom recovery.

Thanks @Hammer_Of_The_Gods & @C3C076

Section D: Let’s get back to stock

1) Flash the stock boot.img and/or radio.img (whatever is applicable) from the factory image using fastboot.

Fastboot commands used in this section would be:

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-M8974A-1.0.25.0.23.img
NOTE: Some custom kernels will modify files in /system/ If this is the case you will see a status 7 error and the file modified. The easiest way to fix this is to flash the system.img

2) Replace the stock kernel or .apk(s) you removed or modified.
If you don't have a backup of removed or modified apk(s) flash the system.img
Note: These must be the exact versions that shipped with the rom.

Fastboot commands used in this section would be:

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
3) Flash the KOT49H stock image. Follow abaaaabbbb63's guide if you need help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After completing the steps needed to return to “stock” make sure you meet all the criteria at the top of the page then revert to:

Section A if you are running stock recovery.
Section B if you are running a custom recovery.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I’ll do my best to answer them as quickly as possible. Perhaps others may answer them as well. Please read to see if your question has been answered before asking.

FAQ

Q: I'm seeing a status 7 error when trying to install the OTA
A: Look at the error closely. It will describe on the file it is failing at. Post the file path so we can help resolve the issue.

Q: The ota applied successfully but I lost my custom recovery and I want to re-root. How do I get root back?
A: Flash the custom recovery of your choice in fastboot and use it to regain root permissions

Q: I've tried everything, but I'm still getting status 7 errors.
A: Unfortunately you may have to start from scratch. Follow Section C1.

Q: I flashed a .zip file that modified (insert mod here.) Will I the OTA install successfully?
A: No, any modification at all will cause the OTA to fail.

Q: Why do I get a "cannot read update.zip" error when trying to sideload?
A: If you named the file update.zip, the actual name would be update.zip.zip. Windows auto names extensions by default. That could be your problem. If not try another usb cable or a different usb port. If that still doesn't work, make sure you type exactly what you renamed the file. You may have made a typo. It is also case-sensitive.

UPDATED: 6/19/14 - Updated for KTU84P
Attached Files
File Type: zip platform-tools 19.0.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.09 MB, 3772 views)
Last edited by Judge Joseph Dredd; 21st October 2014 at 01:53 AM.
The Following 241 Users Say Thank You to Sandman-007 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th November 2013, 03:17 AM   |  #2  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Newnan
Thanks Meter: 1,667

2,518 posts
More

Special Scenario #1

If you are running the stock ROM, rooted, with a custom kernel, and you want to retain root after the OTA; follow this great detailed walkthrough by @Lettuce!

If it helps you, make sure you thank him on the original post, located here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=268
1) downloaded factory image from https://developers.google.com/androi...ges#hammerhead
2) extract the tgz, the tar within that, then extract the the zip within that to get the system.img and boot.img files
3) moved these two files into the adb folder (for the fastboot/adb method)
4) downloade SuperSU-v1.80.zip from http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
5) put SuperSU-v1.80.zip on your phone's internal storage
6) download the 4.4.1 OTA update zip from http://android.clients.google.com/pa...M.7ed504f6.zip
7) rename it to ota.zip
8) move ota.zip onto your phone's internal storage
9) boot into bootloader
10) open command prompt from your adb folder
11) connect USB cable
12) type 'fastboot devices' to check the connection
13) type 'fastboot flash system system.img'
14) type 'fastboot flash boot boot.img'
15) use volume and power buttons to boot into recovery (TWRP)
16) install ota.zip
17) install SuperSU-v1.80.zip
18) clear dalvik and cache
19) reboot phone
UPDATED: 12/7/13
Last edited by Judge Joseph Dredd; 21st October 2014 at 01:54 AM.
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Sandman-007 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th November 2013, 04:42 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,516

2,009 posts
More
Good job :thumbup:Nice to see you here

Sent from my NEXUS 5
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman860 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th November 2013, 04:47 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

76 posts
Scenario #2: Will I receive a message ?
Thanks for this thread. It's just what I've been trying to figure out.

So, if I'm Scenario #2, will I received a message on the phone when the OTA is available? Can I let it download then install through TWRP ?

If I'm reading correctly, the custom recovery will not let it install automatically (and maybe I don't want it to since it could wipe out TWRP). On reboot will TWRP prompt me to root the phone (that's how I got to root the first time).
12th November 2013, 04:57 AM   |  #5  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 126

358 posts
More
If you're rooted, but with stock ROM, do you know for sure OTA updates won't go through? Thanks.
12th November 2013, 05:21 AM   |  #6  
Forum Moderator
Flag Roseville, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,114

3,674 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by david31262

Thanks for this thread. It's just what I've been trying to figure out.

So, if I'm Scenario #2, will I received a message on the phone when the OTA is available? Can I let it download then install through TWRP ?

If I'm reading correctly, the custom recovery will not let it install automatically (and maybe I don't want it to since it could wipe out TWRP). On reboot will TWRP prompt me to root the phone (that's how I got to root the first time).

I believe the new versions of recovery will ask to keep the custom recovery and/or root. We'll see how the custom recoveries handle the OTA on the N5 and I'll update the post accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow

If you're rooted, but with stock ROM, do you know for sure OTA updates won't go through? Thanks.

It all depends on how you gained root access. If you used cf-super boot it will not go through because it modifies the kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Daddy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th November 2013, 05:32 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 350

1,841 posts
What about cf auto root? From the description it looks like that only adds the root apps and nothing else.
12th November 2013, 05:35 AM   |  #8  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 126

358 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Daddy

It all depends on how you gained root access. If you used cf-super boot it will not go through because it modifies the kernel. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

WHen you say cf-super boot you mean installing SuperSU through TWRP right? Thanks.
12th November 2013, 05:46 AM   |  #9  
Forum Moderator
Flag Roseville, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,114

3,674 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo_Shift

What about cf auto root? From the description it looks like that only adds the root apps and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow

WHen you say cf-super boot you mean installing SuperSU through TWRP right? Thanks.

Cf-auto root and super su should be fine as they don't modify the kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to El Daddy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th November 2013, 01:53 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Thanks Meter: 3,030

3,795 posts
More
Nice!!

Every time someone mentions me, I regret choosing this username.

The Following User Says Thank You to abaaaabbbb63 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.4.2, kot49h, ota, status 7, update
Previous Thread Next Thread