Kitkat 4.4.4 factory image available

Search This thread

Citizen_Snips

Apr 23, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Google Pixel Watch 2

I flashed the .zip file from that site and had problems. I'm still on a 4.4.3 ROM, but it's my understanding that that does not matter. Clock (com.android.deskclock) will FC on boot now. Alarms still works, but there's always a FC. Also I had to go through setup wizard again on first boot. Plus I lost root and had to flash superSU again. Modem updated successfully, MD5 matched. Idk what happened. I'll stick to IMG files from now on. :/

jm77

Sep 24, 2008
I downloaded the stock 4.4.4 image, removed the "-w" flag from the .bat file and let it update over my 4.4.3 rooted. No problems, re-rooted with CF-Auto-Root.

Like so:
fastboot update image-hammerhead-ktu84p.zip

For what it's worth, I never had issues with 4.4.3 battery drain. In fact, I forgot to charge my phone last night and here's where I was just after lunchtime (see attached).

9GqDjks.png

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
Samsung Galaxy Watch
OnePlus 10 Pro
I flashed the .zip file from that site and had problems. I'm still on a 4.4.3 ROM, but it's my understanding that that does not matter. Clock (com.android.deskclock) will FC on boot now. Alarms still works, but there's always a FC. Also I had to go through setup wizard again on first boot. Plus I lost root and had to flash superSU again. Modem updated successfully, MD5 matched. Idk what happened. I'll stick to IMG files from now on. :/

IMG is usually safer...that's what I used and no issues so far!

theboleslaw

Oct 31, 2012
Dumaguete
rTcrc6Z.png

10500589_10201167440188124_7578118683881801583_n.jpg

Only radio(noticeable) and recovery has been changed, the system I doubt the only change is only the build.prop IMHO

Last edited:

ExoidX

Jun 18, 2014
Really?! ahah

Great.. I just learned how to get back to stock and flash the 4.4.3. (which took me a bit time to learn) and now I already CF-Auto rooted and installed Xposed... Can I just unistall the modules and flash the 4.4.4 or since I CF-Auto rooted it changed the system and now I have to go stock before flash the new update?

Thanks!

danger2u

Jan 24, 2010
Rooted with Geohot app Towelroot
all working great
installed Gravity Box,Busybox,Xposed installer,Touch control,Super su.
i see some quite update on radio stability wifi and gsm,some speed update at open apps and system.
battery will need some days to test it.

mu2y9ave.jpg
u5a6upa8.jpg

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Brushstroke

Aug 26, 2013
Here's how I updated to 4.4.4. This applies to anyone using Windows. I was on stock 4.4.3 with Xposed, ElementalX kernel and rooted via SuperSU. This will not wipe your data and, if you use Xposed, all of your settings for your modules will be preserved.

Make sure you have done the following before you update using the factory image:

1. Uninstall Xposed Framework but don't uninstall your modules.
2. Choose the Full Unroot option in the SuperSU app.
3. It might also be a good idea to flash the stock kernel if you're using a custom kernel. You can find the stock kernels for 4.4, 4.4.1, 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 here. Use the one for 4.4.3 and flash it in recovery.

After doing these steps, reboot into the bootloader. On Windows, extract the factory image folder named "hammerhead-ktu84p" which contains:

bootloader-hammerhead-hhz11k.img
flash-all.bat
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
image-hammerhead-ktu84p.zip
radio-hammerhead-m8974a-2.0.50.1.16.img

Open the file named "flash-all.bat" in a file editor in Windows, I prefer Notepad++. Look for the line,

Code:
fastboot -w update image-hammerhead-ktu84p.zip

and remove the "-w" then save the file. This W flag is what wipes your data. That's what we don't want.

Now, provided you have your adb/fastboot environment set up, run:

Code:
fastboot devices
then
Code:
flash-all.bat

This will install the factory image without using the -W flag. Let it complete, your phone will reboot and you'll be on 4.4.4! Now just flash your recovery of choice (I use TWRP), install SuperSU, install Xposed Framework and you're done! :)

Last edited:

Brushstroke

Aug 26, 2013
Might be a good idea to remove userdata and recovery from .zip file if you have a custom recovery.

Skickat från min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

I didn't need to remove the userdata file. Seems to have not affected anything. And yeah, I could have removed the recovery to avoid having to flash TWRP again, but that's not that big of a deal. :p

Utacka

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 19, 2012
Stockholm
www.utacka.se
I didn't need to remove the userdata file. Seems to have not affected anything. And yeah, I could have removed the recovery to avoid having to flash TWRP again, but that's not that big of a deal. :p

Removing -w probably skips flashing userdata but its always a good idea to be cautious and do both if you are as paranoid about your data on the phone as I am. ;)

And backup, I always backup xD

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's how I updated to 4.4.4. This applies to anyone using Windows. I was on stock 4.4.3 with Xposed, ElementalX kernel and rooted via SuperSU. This will not wipe your data and, if you use Xposed, all of your settings for your modules will be preserved.

Make sure you have done the following before you update using the factory image:

1. Uninstall Xposed Framework but don't uninstall your modules.
    2. Choose the Full Unroot option in the SuperSU app.
    3. It might also be a good idea to flash the stock kernel if you're using a custom kernel. You can find the stock kernels for 4.4, 4.4.1, 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 here. Use the one for 4.4.3 and flash it in recovery.

After doing these steps, reboot into the bootloader. On Windows, extract the factory image folder named "hammerhead-ktu84p" which contains:

bootloader-hammerhead-hhz11k.img
    flash-all.bat
    flash-all.sh
    flash-base.sh
    image-hammerhead-ktu84p.zip
    radio-hammerhead-m8974a-2.0.50.1.16.img

Open the file named "flash-all.bat" in a file editor in Windows, I prefer Notepad++. Look for the line,

Code:
    fastboot -w update image-hammerhead-ktu84p.zip

and remove the "-w" then save the file. This W flag is what wipes your data. That's what we don't want.

Now, provided you have your adb/fastboot environment set up, run:

Code:
    fastboot devices
    then
    Code:
    flash-all.bat

This will install the factory image without using the -W flag. Let it complete, your phone will reboot and you'll be on 4.4.4! Now just flash your recovery of choice (I use TWRP), install SuperSU, install Xposed Framework and you're done! :)
    "previous app showing when using back button" has been fixed in 4.4.4.

I am so smart that I didn't bother to install 4.4.3.

I'm gonna be smart again and wait at least one month to try 4.4.4.

Good luck guys.

...because installing an update on a nexus is so complicated..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Might be a good idea to remove userdata and recovery from .zip file if you have a custom recovery.