Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,300 Members 53,141 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I Love this phone but....

Tip us?

stone_phalanges
Old
(Last edited by stone_phalanges; 6th February 2014 at 11:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default I Love this phone but....

I know we all love this phone, it is awesome. Super Fast, Super intuitive stock android, Super pretty, but lets be honest What's the one issue that Makes you want to get rid of the phone and never look back.

I didn't know how important a microsd card was to me until I used this phone. I used to have my entire music collection on my GS4 and while I still have online access to everything, I really miss not having to use up all my data and really being able to listen to anything anytime anywhere. Also pinning music for offline use through Google music sucks when you have thousands upon thousands of tracks and might forget what you have and haven't saved for offline play.

What's your issue that made you rethink your purchase for a slit second.

NaterTots
Old
Thanks Meter 617
I knew there was no sd card going in and embraced it. I think it's easier to keep track of what's on storage and I obviously bought a 32 GB.

No complaints with the phone here. Well except I would have bought a red one.

Oh, ibl

Complaining isn't going to help.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
HTC EVO 4G - Sold
HTC EVO 4G LTE
HTC EVO 4G LTE - Sold
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Sold
Nokia 521- Sold
HTC First - Stock
Google Nexus 5
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NaterTots For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RedBlueGreen
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_phalanges View Post
What's your issue that made you rethink your purchase for a slit second.
nothing

Nexus 4 - Paranoidandroid
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RedBlueGreen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 9786
I haven't rethought at all. As is a small bugbear but it hasn't made me rethink

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rarscaryfrosty
Old
Thanks Meter 79
For the average user, most phone companies now are not including an SD card on pretty much all of their phones (except samsung.) With cloud storage and high speed internet available at your finger tips, just stream it all. Google will let you store like 20,000 songs free and stream them. It may be a strain on your data plan, but if you're at home or the office, just use wifi.

The point of the fact is, if 16GB isn't enough, they make you buy the 32GB phone. If that still isn't enough for you, they recommend you use their services and apps to fill in the gap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rarscaryfrosty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Cirkustanz
Old
Thanks Meter 78
For me it's not having USB audio on stock.

Many people have no idea what this means, and even if they did it wouldn't matter to them, but to music quality snobs such as myself, it really irks me.

Especially because iphones have usb audio.

Cyanogen and probably some other roms support usb audio so it is possible to get with this phone

But I really feel this should be on stock android, and on every single phone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cirkustanz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pwrmedia
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarscaryfrosty View Post
For the average user, most phone companies now are not including an SD card on pretty much all of their phones (except samsung.) With cloud storage and high speed internet available at your finger tips, just stream it all. Google will let you store like 20,000 songs free and stream them. It may be a strain on your data plan, but if you're at home or the office, just use wifi.

The point of the fact is, if 16GB isn't enough, they make you buy the 32GB phone. If that still isn't enough for you, they recommend you use their services and apps to fill in the gap.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^

To the OP, may I offer a suggestion:

Use a large portion of your internal storage to store the albums/tracks you listen to w/ the most frequency, and leave the online storage for the remainder. Obviously you can swap between the two whenever you'd like, but seems like it would make the most sense given the fact that you still decided to go w/ a N5.

May not serve your "any track, any time, anywhere" purpose fully, but will save you data and still allow you quick access to a good portion of your media.
Currently running:

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: 4.4.2 Rooted Stock
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: Stock
Freq: Stock
LCD Density: 300

Retired: HTC One, S3 Dev Ed., Galaxy Nexus, iPhone4s 32G, EVO LTE, 3vo, MoPho, Evo Shift, OG Evo, Hero, Diamond
The Following User Says Thank You to pwrmedia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kronflux
Old
Thanks Meter 172

DONATE TO ME
I have to say, the limitation on storage does not bother me in the slightest. Sure it would be -nice- to be able to expand the storage, but in this day and age, data is getting cheaper and cheaper, and services that stream media are getting better and easier to use.
Why do we need more storage? how many apps are you truly going to install? how much music do you really need to take with you at all times?

personally, I have a network attached storage, which does owncloud. Through this, and the owncloud app, I stream all of my media to my phone wherever I am.
One could also use a service such as dropbox, or even just listen to online radio streams or even watch netflix for movies.

"The Cloud" is all the rage these days, and it's getting more and more cost effective to use such services. So really, why do we need an SD slot? why do we need additional storage?
Device: Google/LG Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
Rom: CyanogenMod 11 Official Nightly by CyanogenMod
Kernel: Chaos Kernel by neobuddy89
Recovery: PhilZ Touch CWM by rootSU
-----------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter!
If you found my post helpful, please remember to hit the Thanks Button!
You could also buy me a coffee by clicking here:

EnIXmA
Old
Thanks Meter 154
I have a 128 GB USB drive attached to my key chain, and a USB otg cable in my wallet all the time... No need for an sd card here... Just wish there was an i r blaster

Sent from my One using XDA Premium HD app

reddragon72
Old
Thanks Meter 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnIXmA View Post
I have a 128 GB USB drive attached to my key chain, and a USB otg cable in my wallet all the time... No need for an sd card here... Just wish there was an i r blaster

Sent from my One using XDA Premium HD app
That'll do it right there.

I was preaching this a year ago when people were bagging in the HTC One and no SDcard slot. LOL

I have the 16 gig and no issue.... well it's because I have Sprint and have decent service in Houston so pulling anything from/to the cloud is a no worries situation for me!!
Remember people, instructions are there to help you not hinder you and anytime you skip them you are doing the same with your phone as it would be to walk off a cliff with a self packed parachute.... did you do it right by following the instructions or did you just shove it in the bag and jump..... think before you leap!

Current - Sprint LG OG running CM11 official nightlies.
New Current - Nexus 5 stock on Sprint

Tags
sd card