Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,336 Members 37,327 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Magnets in cases - official response

Tip us?

newdevo
Old
(Last edited by newdevo; 3rd March 2014 at 03:58 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default Magnets in cases - official response

[EDIT: sorry guys, this was supposed to be in the nexus 5 section, i'm not sure how i got in the general discussion section]

Hi guys, i'm wondering if anyone here asked LG support if magnets affect the phone hardware.

I contacted LG UK and LG Romania and they had different responses.
LG UK said that magnets don't affect the phone while LG RO said that they do. This is confusing. I'll definitely contact LG US and LG CA next to see their opinion but in the meantime, did anyone else ask them about this?

LG UK
Quote:
11:23:28 AM [LG Mobile Phone Support] I can confirm that the magnets wont affect the hardware
LG Romania
Quote:
11:32:06 AM [LG Romania] din pacate magnetul afecteaza hardware-ul si software-ul telefoanelor ,asa ca va sugerez sa nu folositi sau sa scoateti magnetul din husa

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,148

DONATE TO ME
No, the tiny magnets inside the case won't affect your phone in any way.

- Swiped from my Nexus 5!

meangreenie
Old
Thanks Meter 623
I almost returned a nexus 7 2013 because of a cheap flip case. Compass was malfunctioning with it on.

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,148

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreenie View Post
I almost returned a nexus 7 2013 because of a cheap flip case. Compass was malfunctioning with it on.
Yes, that's the only thing which might get screwed when a sizeable magnet is brought near the device. But it can't damage the phone AFAIK.

newdevo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
LG USA

Quote:
For the moment we have no heard if they do. But then again we don't make the cases so it would not be something we caused you know? Since we don't make the cases we do not know what they are made out of and we do not have a way to support them since they are not made by LG but by third party companies. I only have information to help out with the actual phone, but not the accessories.