[MOD][ROOT] Camcorder Audio Quality Fix and Thoughts on In-Call Voice Quality

OP chdloc

20th October 2014, 02:51 AM   |  #191  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Hi thanks for ur answer

Well i am using stock room kitkat 4.4.4, i installed the mod for raise up speakers volumen. I am using Poweramp to play music.

I use arome installer, and use both 6db and 12db mod and them i try play music again and i can confirm the volumen dosen't raise up like before. I rollback with an android backup i do before and the sound was normal again.

Sent from my Nexus 5
20th October 2014, 03:28 AM   |  #192  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 197

114 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [No_CoDE]

Hi thanks for ur answer

Well i am using stock room kitkat 4.4.4, i installed the mod for raise up speakers volumen. I am using Poweramp to play music.

I use arome installer, and use both 6db and 12db mod and them i try play music again and i can confirm the volumen dosen't raise up like before. I rollback with an android backup i do before and the sound was normal again.

Sent from my Nexus 5

To me it seems that the two mods are stepping on each other's toes. The two mods can coexist only if your volume mod (which one?)
merely changes the mixer. Post your /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml file from your "normal" installation to confirm.
20th October 2014, 03:53 AM   |  #193  

7 posts
I am trying to post the file, but from the mobile app i cant figure out how to do that. I will send later from my laptop.

Thank U

Sent from my Nexus 5
20th October 2014, 01:43 PM   |  #194  
Flag Ankara
Thanks Meter: 9

22 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chdloc

Short answer is no, the mod should not affect playback levels.
You are right, by default, the recording levels are significantly lower with the mod installed.
I suggest you read the section on "Changing the microphone gain" in the OP.
If you want the same level as on stock you may want to set the recording level DEC6 to around 100 (instead of the default 88).
You can do this with the Aroma installer. Keep in mind, though, that the (white) microphone self-noise gets amplified as well.
That's why I released a newer mod for KitKat that allows for a moderate level of noise suppression.
This new mod will not be available on Lollipop until the relevant sources are released.

Thank you for your answer and effort. i'll try your suggestion and post the result here.
21st October 2014, 05:24 AM   |  #195  

7 posts
i use aroma installer again, but this time i choose quick install, and now everything its working great. Now i will be testing video audio recording.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5
26th October 2014, 01:43 AM   |  #196  

4 posts
Hi,

Im very new to this, I just got a Nexus 5 and wanted to fix this sound issue.
I have read alot posts from this thread and I see that this doesn't fix the call issue (thought I only had 1 friend complaining he could not hear me, other people said it was perfect) but I have some questions.

So this is a mod for camcorder, but does it also fix other recorders ? For example, in Watsap I sometimes speak in a message, or when I use skype, or another recording app like IgCamera.

I also read alot of types like aroma, or L review, so how do I know what I am using ? I just bought this and didnt mod anything, all I know is it uses version 4.4.4.

Thanks in advanced!
26th October 2014, 04:25 AM   |  #197  
OP Senior Member

114 posts
More
Quote:

Im very new to this, I just got a Nexus 5 and wanted to fix this sound issue.
I have read alot posts from this thread and I see that this doesn't fix the call issue (thought I only had 1 friend complaining he could not hear me, other people said it was perfect) but I have some questions.

No, this mod does not fix the low TX level issues reported by many. I suggest you read the section labeled "Thoughts on in-call voice quality" in the OP. While there is no true fix (which needs to come from Qualcomm and/or LG) there are some suggestions that may help lower the occurrence of low TX levels.

Quote:

So this is a mod for camcorder, but does it also fix other recorders ? For example, in Watsap I sometimes speak in a message, or when I use skype, or another recording app like IgCamera.

The "simple fix" has an effect on any app that requests the "CAMCORDER" audio device. Unfortunately, there is no a-priori way to know what device an app developer selects as the app's recording front-end.

The "advanced fix" has an effect on any app that records audio and requests a single audio effect called "Noise Suppression". I have not yet come across an app (other than Google's camcorder with this mod) that requests this setup.

Have you come across another app whose recording quality is poor?

Quote:

I also read alot of types like aroma, or L review, so how do I know what I am using ? I just bought this and didnt mod anything, all I know is it uses version 4.4.4.

The term "Aroma installer" refers to an easy way to flash software/mods via custom recovery.
L Preview refers to Google's developer preview of their upcoming ROM, which will be called Lollipop (5.0) once it becomes generally available.
Since your phone runs 4.4.4 you are on KitKat.
The Following User Says Thank You to chdloc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th October 2014, 12:59 PM   |  #198  
Thanks Meter: 106

570 posts
More
I know the dev has said that they're not going to port the noise cancellation algorithm for the L Preview, but provided we're willing to understand the risks et al, can somebody please make an aroma install for the L Preview WITH 6db and 12db options of noise cancellation?

(I sound like one of those XDA users who don't read or want something incessantly without reading )
27th October 2014, 02:54 AM   |  #199  
OP Senior Member

114 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoveu

I know the dev has said that they're not going to port the noise cancellation algorithm for the L Preview, but provided we're willing to understand the risks et al, can somebody please make an aroma install for the L Preview WITH 6db and 12db options of noise cancellation?

(I sound like one of those XDA users who don't read or want something incessantly without reading )

I've taken a birds-eye view of the relevant libraries and they seemed to have changed significantly enough that I'm sure that the mod
with moderate noise suppression needs to be built from source.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chdloc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th October 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #200  
Thanks Meter: 106

570 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chdloc

I've taken a birds-eye view of the relevant libraries and they seemed to have changed significantly enough that I'm sure that the mod
with moderate noise suppression needs to be built from source.

Ah alright. Makes sense. Thanks!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread