Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,594 Members 38,966 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Does your back panel "creak" when pressure is applied?
Yes 28 33.73%
No 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

N5 owners: Creak?

Tip us?

danv28
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default N5 owners: Creak?

I got my Nexus 5 last Thursday, thought it was perfect, and have lately been hearing a creaking sound coming from the back cover.

I notice the sound in a quiet environment such as my room, and it's when you apply pressure to the back of the phone where the panel dips to meet with the sides. Press along there, and post in the poll, or reply to this thread, if your device has a creaking sound. I'm trying to find out if all Nexus 5's are like this, or if I should exchange it. Press along the ridge where the back panel dips down.

Thanks.

Carbajal3009
Old
Thanks Meter 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by danv28 View Post
I got my Nexus 5 last Thursday, thought it was perfect, and have lately been hearing a creaking sound coming from the back cover.

I notice the sound in a quiet environment such as my room, and it's when you apply pressure to the back of the phone where the panel dips to meet with the sides. Press along there, and post in the poll, or reply to this thread, if your device has a creaking sound. I'm trying to find out if all Nexus 5's are like this, or if I should exchange it. Press along the ridge where the back panel dips down.

Thanks.
Think your back cover is warped or not pressed in all the way. Mine doesn't do that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MuertoKo
Old
Thanks Meter 550
Just tested, no cracking at all. Just the usual jinggle when tapping on the top part of screen due to power button, which actually annoys me close to null :P
Device: LG G3
ROM: Stock
Kernel: Stock

Device history: LG G3, LG Nexus 5, LG Nexus 4, SG5, SG4, SG3, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus HTC Sensation, HTC Nexus One

TobiS87
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by danv28 View Post

Thanks.
Oh, come on! Are all of you guys desperately searching for flaws? Stop blocking RMA units with this BS. There are people with really defective phones who need those.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TobiS87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jtwlbz
Old
Thanks Meter 224
Creaky back plate near camera here

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OuncE718
Old
Thanks Meter 311
No creaking on my 32gb Black Nexus 5 but I agree with TobiS87. Stop searching for these flaws. There really are people who have defective units that may genuinely need a new device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OuncE718 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

farsight73
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Just enjoy your phone.. Stop looking so hard into defective..

Sent from my Nexus 5 via XDA Premium HD
=======================================
Nexus 5: 312K: Running stock deodexed 4.4.4 with ElementalX kernel

Transformer TF101(B60): Kitkat-Katkiss 4.4.4
System Speed: Overclock Dual Core 1400Ghz

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to farsight73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,328
Mine doesn't creak. It makes a crinkle noise when I push my thumb in the centre of the screen and my fingers are on teh nexus carved out of teh back, but so what? Thinks creak. Things bend. Things rattle.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

qwahchees
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Opposite side of the camera, to the left, creaks.

Follow me on Twitter: @Qwahchees

Retired: ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T, Samsung Galaxy S III, Motorola Xoom Stock Rooted, iPhone 4 JB iOS 5, Nokia N900, Sony Ericsson C902

Excelsior82
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I have a white N5, no creaks (or I don't press correctly, but I tried several times)
LT15i Generic World 4.1.B.0.587 (Root) (Sold, bye little one )
Nexus 5 Beanstalk 4.4.225