Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,633 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 on AIO wireless thread

Tip us?
 
whitedragonz83
Old
#221  
whitedragonz83's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 179
Posts: 574
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazyazoo View Post
I am on AIO. Do I need to root the phone to get wifi tether working on the Nex 5? I saw on earlier posts that stock tether works. Does anyone have a guide on how to set it up and make it harder for AIO to detect that you are tethering?
Just enable tethering through the built-in Android interface. They appear to have zero issues with it and no caps I have noticed other than your normal data cap.
LG Nexus 5, 16GB, Black
Stock Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel - Latest

Previous Phones: Galaxy Nexus (GSM), Sold; LG Nexus 4, Sold

G+

Cell Plan:
$45/mo Cricket Wireless (formally AIO Wireless) 2.5GB, unlimited text, unlimited minutes, AT&T network
Private Message me your First and Last name with email address and I'll get an AIO Refer-a-Friend going for $25 credit for you if you sign up.
 
rsriniv24
Old
(Last edited by rsriniv24; 26th July 2014 at 09:51 PM.) Reason: Forgot to mention how many lines would be porting.
#222  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orlando
Default Switching four lines to Cricket

I want to switch the entire family over (4 lines). If I do 1-2 lines piecemeal, can I get 4 x $25 in referrals, or do you only get $25 for the first line?
 
kjjjjshab
Old
(Last edited by kjjjjshab; 28th July 2014 at 05:54 PM.)
#223  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 113
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedragonz83 View Post
Just enable tethering through the built-in Android interface. They appear to have zero issues with it and no caps I have noticed other than your normal data cap.
Tethering on Cricket violates the TOS. I'll post the link tonight if nobody beats me to it.

That said, it does sound like they currently don't enforce it, yet.

Edit: it is hard to find because they used to include tethering on some older CDMA Cricket plans, but I am fairly certain those no longer apply to the new AT&T GSM Cricket.
The Following User Says Thank You to kjjjjshab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tmeader
Old
#224  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 86
Posts: 169
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjjjshab View Post
Tethering on Cricket violates the TOS. I'll post the link tonight if nobody beats me to it.

That said, it does sound like they currently don't enforce it, yet.

Edit: it is hard to find because they used to include tethering on some older CDMA Cricket plans, but I am fairly certain those no longer apply to the new AT&T GSM Cricket.
Since Aio always allowed free tethering, and the new Cricket is just a re-badged Aio for all intents and purposes, why do you think that tethering violates their TOS all of the sudden?
 
kjjjjshab
Old
(Last edited by kjjjjshab; 28th July 2014 at 08:33 PM.)
#225  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 113
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post
Since Aio always allowed free tethering, and the new Cricket is just a re-badged Aio for all intents and purposes, why do you think that tethering violates their TOS all of the sudden?
Because it does.

www.cricketwireless.com/terms

Prohibited Uses...

"tether a wireless device to a computing device... ""... and you have not subscribed to a specific data plan designed for this purpose"

So the CDMA smartphone plans used to be considered" designed for this purpose" but I have never seen the new GSM plans referred to as such. Please share where that is stated.
 
tmeader
Old
#226  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 86
Posts: 169
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjjjshab View Post
Because it does.

www.cricketwireless.com/terms

Prohibited Uses...

"tether a wireless device to a computing device... ""... and you have not subscribed to a specific data plan designed for this purpose"

So the CDMA smartphone plans used to be considered" designed for this purpose" but I have never seen the new GSM plans referred to as such. Please share where that is stated.
That's fine, except Cricket HAS NO plan or add-on options "designed for this purpose". So, unless they were disabling tethering outright, which they aren't obviously, it appears to be allowed. I understand what their new terms say, but I'm thinking that this is more the case (at least right now) of a mass carry-over of the Cricket jargon without it being changed to reflect Aio's actual policies.
 
kjjjjshab
Old
(Last edited by kjjjjshab; Yesterday at 02:58 AM.)
#227  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 113
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post
That's fine, except Cricket HAS NO plan or add-on options "designed for this purpose". So, unless they were disabling tethering outright, which they aren't obviously, it appears to be allowed. I understand what their new terms say, but I'm thinking that this is more the case (at least right now) of a mass carry-over of the Cricket jargon without it being changed to reflect Aio's actual policies.
I still think if the current smartphone plans don't explicitly state tethering is allowed then it is prohibited. But it sure would be great to have it spelled out, rather than being forced to interpret or take the word of a random CSR.

Edit:
"This AUP encompasses Cricket Network and Services using the new Cricket GSM network as well as the legacy Cricket CDMA network. You are a legacy Cricket CDMA customer if you have not migrated to the new Cricket GSM network..."

I can't find it right now, but I am certain CDMA plans used to explicitly state tethering was included. Some users would still be on those plans.

Edit2: Here excerpt from a press release describing the CDMA plans that included tethering:

SAN DIEGO, Aug. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Cricket Communications...
..The new $60 smartphone plan contains 2.5GB of full-speed data per month and the new $70 smartphone plan offers 5GB of full-speed data per month. Both the $60 and $70 plans include the ability for customers to tether their device to power additional wireless devices...

So this would be why the Cricket TOS and AUP still need to provide for some legacy users that have tethering included.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes