XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 Audio Quality Tested by Anandtech

Tip us?

thegr8anand
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default Nexus 5 Audio Quality Tested by Anandtech

I personally don't use my nexus for listening to music using headphones. Just read this excellent testing done by Anandtech and wanted to share it with you all. He has tested with 4.4.1 update and the results are the same.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/s...uality-testing

Just a quote from page 5.

Quote:
The conclusion I pull from this is that both the G2 and the Nexus 5 have the exact same flaw right now. However, the G2 has attempted to hide it by reducing the maximum output level of their headphone amplifier. The Nexus 5 can play louder, but only with far more distortion. Given this I would expect there to be an update to the Nexus 5 at some point that lowers the maximum headphone level to something closer to the G2.

However this doesn't mean that the Nexus 5 is certainly worse to use with headphones. The top 3 settings are ones I would avoid due to the left channel issue, but I might avoid the top 1-2 settings on the G2 as well. If we consider 1% THD+N to be the maximum allowable level, that leaves 8 volume steps on the Nexus 5 that are usable. The G2 has 9 steps that are available to you, and 10 if you consider 0.03% THD+N in one ear to be OK (it probably is).

In the end, the G2 won't play as loud as the Nexus 5 will, but you don't want to play that loud anyway. It has more usable volume steps than the Nexus 5, and otherwise very similar numbers. I'll be interested to see if either of them make further changes to their maximum output levels to remove this issue.
N5, N7 Flo, i9100
The Following User Says Thank You to thegr8anand For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mastferd
Old
Thanks Meter 2
the same with 4.4.2 ?

americasteam
Old
Thanks Meter 307
I would rate the headphone out quality mediocre at best.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

big_adventure
Old
Thanks Meter 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by americasteam View Post
I would rate the headphone out quality mediocre at best.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
According to the empiric tests done on Anandtech, it is actually excellent as long as you avoid the top three or so volume slots. They just overboosted for those top spots, so a channel clips BADLY. Skip them, and the quality is fine - and this backs up my experiences. Spotify extreme quality downloaded songs through Shure SE535's is fantastic, since I never go past about one more than middle volume. Through the same headset, listening to crappy downloaded podcasts can reveal some issues, since, on public transit, I sometimes have to get into one or two slots down from max volume.
N5

americasteam
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
According to the empiric tests done on Anandtech, it is actually excellent as long as you avoid the top three or so volume slots. They just overboosted for those top spots, so a channel clips BADLY. Skip them, and the quality is fine - and this backs up my experiences. Spotify extreme quality downloaded songs through Shure SE535's is fantastic, since I never go past about one more than middle volume. Through the same headset, listening to crappy downloaded podcasts can reveal some issues, since, on public transit, I sometimes have to get into one or two slots down from max volume.
We have opposite findings then. I never go no where near the upper levels. Sound is not clean at all coming from my UE Triple Fi 10s. Gonna give it another listen in a few.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Martin-Doc
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Does this apply also for the bluetooth-transfered audio?

mattbta
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I've noticed this using the upper few slots while flying. Good info!

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 178
I imagine the top volume levels are more or less reserved for using the speaker in loud environments. In that situation the mono speaker is not going to suffer any channel issues and though it may get distorted at least you will hear you're ringtone or notification better.

Over 75% volume with headphones is pretty deafening. If not you can always boost equalization across the board to increase volume music volume.
W32

mjliang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up nice

good

drms12
Old
Thanks Meter 27
About sound quality and music,
Did any of you got DSP tunneling to work?
For me battery drained as usual, 3.5%-5/ while screen off and phone awake all time, mediaserver wakelock. Means no deep sleep while music playing and screen off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2