5,597,647 Members 33,639 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 Gamma Calibration

Tip us?

jbbuie
Old
(Last edited by jbbuie; 8th December 2013 at 12:21 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Nexus 5 Gamma Calibration

So I have been using XDA for the last 3yrs to help with rooting adding custom kernels and so on, but I have only used it to read and keep up with my kernel or rom I was using, never tried posting...till today. So I think this is were I am supposed to post my first comments/questions since I am unable to post reply's in the thread regarding this, anyways... on to what I have found works on my phone. I was always able to get the gamma correct on all colors but the problem was the white balance/ tint of the screen, it was always to reddish. I made a chart of each color graphing each value. I noticed that between the three colors the only significant difference was in the red color of the first 9 values slots. I also found out that i can complete change the gamma using values in ROW 2 ,COLUMN 5 and ROW 3, COLUMN 1. I found that increasing these values together in the same increments will increase the gamma. For example- if you increase the value of ROW 2, COLUMN 5 by 5 then raise it the same amount in ROW 3, COLUMN 1. The higher the value the more you increase the gamma, the lower the number the more you decrease gamma. So I set the gamma so it was 2.2 for all colors using this method. Since I found out that the red was drastically different in the first 9 slots compared to green and blue I took the average of green and blue for each slot (within the first 9 slots) and applied that avg to the corresponding red slots. This method not only got me nearly perfectly at gamma 2.2 but corrected the tint/white balance of the screen. I no longer have a reddish tint or yellow. I hope someone else tries this to see if it works for them or if they can add too or better this so we all have a better calibrated screen.

Update: After plotting if values are off still whatever your lowest color value is do the average and raise it. Also I think when fine tunning secondary colors (cyan, Magenta, yellow) ROW 3, COLUMN 2

ChazzMatt
Old
(Last edited by ChazzMatt; 7th December 2013 at 10:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 757
There's a gamma calibration thread and app already in the Nexus 5 original development section.

And 2.4 is even better than 2.2.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544128

Nexus 5 (LG-D820)

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jbbuie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
There's a gamma calibration thread and app already in the Nexus 5 original development section.

And 2.4 is even better than 2.2.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544128
I tried posting there but I was denied because of not having enough post.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ElbreoGraphixx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Can you plz post a picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbuie View Post
So I have been using XDA for the last 3yrs to help with rooting adding custom kernels and so on, but I have only used it to read and keep up with my kernel or rom I was using, never tried posting...till today. So I think this is were I am supposed to post my first comments/questions since I am unable to post reply's in the thread regarding this, anyways... on to what I have found works on my phone. I was always able to get the gamma correct on all colors but the problem was the white balance/ tint of the screen, it was always to reddish. I made a chart of each color graphing each value. I noticed that between the three colors the only significant difference was in the red color of the first 9 values slots. I also found out that i can complete change the gamma using values in ROW 2 ,COLUMN 5 and ROW 3, COLUMN 1. I found that increasing these values together in the same increments will increase the gamma. For example- if you increase the value of ROW 2, COLUMN 5 by 5 then raise it the same amount in ROW 3, COLUMN 1. The higher the value the more you increase the gamma, the lower the number the more you decrease gamma. So I set the gamma so it was 2.2 for all colors using this method. Since I found out that the red was drastically different in the first 9 slots compared to green and blue I took the average of green and blue for each slot (within the first 9 slots) and applied that avg to the corresponding red slots. This method not only got me nearly perfectly at gamma 2.2 but corrected the tint/white balance of the screen. I no longer have a reddish tint or yellow. I hope someone else tries this to see if it works for them or if they can add too or better this so we all have a better calibrated screen.

Update: After plotting if values are off still whatever your lowest color value is do the average and raise it. Also I think when fine tunning secondary colors (cyan, Magenta, yellow) ROW 3, COLUMN 2
Can YouPost a screenshot to get this setting

starkzp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
COLUMN 5 by 5 then raise it the same amount in ROW 3, COLUMN 1. The League of Legends Boost higher the value the more you increase the gamma, the lower the number the more you decrease gamma. So I set the gamma so it was 2.2 for all colors using this method. Since I found out that the red was drastically different in the Fifa14coins/"FIFA 14 IOS Coins</a> first 9 slots compared to green and blue I took the average of green and blue for each slot (within the first 9 slots) and applied that avg to the corresponding red slots.

ElbreoGraphixx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Screenshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkzp View Post
COLUMN 5 by 5 then raise it the same amount in ROW 3, COLUMN 1. The League of Legends Boost higher the value the more you increase the gamma, the lower the number the more you decrease gamma. So I set the gamma so it was 2.2 for all colors using this method. Since I found out that the red was drastically different in the Fifa14coins/"FIFA 14 IOS Coins</a> first 9 slots compared to green and blue I took the average of green and blue for each slot (within the first 9 slots) and applied that avg to the corresponding red slots.
BUT CAN YOU POST A SCREENSHOT I DONT THE COLUM AND ROW THING...sorry i am noob just started this i will apreciate the screen shot on the setting...THANKS

myfluxi
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElbreoGraphixx View Post
BUT CAN YOU POST A SCREENSHOT I DONT THE COLUM AND ROW THING...sorry i am noob just started this i will apreciate the screen shot on the setting...THANKS
There is no column/row scheme, just a sequence of hexadecimal values that form an upward/downward curve. The fact that faux's app uses this scheme is purely for practical reasons.

The best way to implement it would possibly be a set of sliders like in an equalizer (e.g. as in DSPManager).