Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,807 Members 43,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 and LG G2 battery swap....

Tip us?

deansaunders
Old
(Last edited by deansaunders; 5th November 2013 at 01:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Plug Nexus 5 and LG G2 battery swap....

Took my Nexus 5 apart this morning to get rid of the power button rattle, and had a look at the battery. The connection for this one and the LG G2 are identical, just on opposite sides (Nexus on the right, G2 on the left). However, after checking ebay for a G2 battery I noticed that although the connection is on the left, it is coming up from the underneath (see pic). If they are the same size-ish, does anyone think it would be possible to buy a G2 battery, simply flip it over so the flex has a little more play in it, then attach it to the logic board? It seems do-able, if the flex permits it and they're of a similar height and width. Anyone got N5 and a G2 that fancy's taking them apart?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	6869
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2372720  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deansaunders For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tony_YYZ
Old
Thanks Meter 95

DONATE TO ME
No pics are attached.
CANADA | ROGERS | NEXUS 5 | D820 | KK 4.4 | Stock w/Root
Nexus 7 FHD Tablet | FLO | KK 4.4 | Stock w/Root

http://www.infowerxsolutions.com - Check us out for cheap US roaming plans (Canadians)

Kenneth131
Old
Thanks Meter 126
How did you remove the rattle in the power button did you identify something that is easily fixed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
nexus 4 301 Rev 11

deansaunders
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ View Post
No pics are attached.
Uploaded now, the pic is of a G2 battery

deansaunders
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth131 View Post
How did you remove the rattle in the power button did you identify something that is easily fixed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
There is a gap (extremely tiny) in between the ceramic power button and the micro-switch inside. I took out the logic board then rested a tiny square of normal paper (about 2mm x 2mm) on the inside of the button. Carefully put the logic board back in so as not to knock the paper from it's place, put the phone back together and the rattle has gone, plus the button has a more firm click

Tony_YYZ
Old
Thanks Meter 95

DONATE TO ME
Here is a pic of the Nexus 5 battery

CANADA | ROGERS | NEXUS 5 | D820 | KK 4.4 | Stock w/Root
Nexus 7 FHD Tablet | FLO | KK 4.4 | Stock w/Root

http://www.infowerxsolutions.com - Check us out for cheap US roaming plans (Canadians)

reeco
Old
(Last edited by reeco; 5th November 2013 at 01:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 96

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansaunders View Post
There is a gap (extremely tiny) in between the ceramic power button and the micro-switch inside. I took out the logic board then rested a tiny square of normal paper (about 2mm x 2mm) on the inside of the button. Carefully put the logic board back in so as not to knock the paper from it's place, put the phone back together and the rattle has gone, plus the button has a more firm click

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Can't this just be done by sliding a bit of paper at the side of the button without taking the device apart?

I have the same problem and the rattling is doing my head in.

deansaunders
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ View Post
Here is a pic of the Nexus 5 battery

They look pretty similar in size....
Really wish I knew someone with a G2 that I could take the battery out of to experiment
The Following User Says Thank You to deansaunders For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deansaunders
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeco View Post
Can't this just be done by sliding a bit of paper at the side of the button without taking the device apart?

I have the same problem and the rattling is doing my head in.

I tried that originally and the gap is too small. My next idea was to pad the area out with cotton wool, and although that worked it made the power button pretty stiff. Once you have the back of the phone off the rest is really simple, there's 6 screws to take out, pop a plastic cover off, unclip about 3 flex cables and the board just lifts out. I can do it over again if you like and take photos so you can see how it's done?
The Following User Says Thank You to deansaunders For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

muyoso
Old
Thanks Meter 494
This would be an amazing mod if you could somehow smash in a 3000mah battery, although I highly doubt it would fit.