Nexus 5 and LG G2 battery swap....

OP deansaunders

5th November 2013, 02:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag South West England
Thanks Meter: 130

115 posts
More
Took my Nexus 5 apart this morning to get rid of the power button rattle, and had a look at the battery. The connection for this one and the LG G2 are identical, just on opposite sides (Nexus on the right, G2 on the left). However, after checking ebay for a G2 battery I noticed that although the connection is on the left, it is coming up from the underneath (see pic). If they are the same size-ish, does anyone think it would be possible to buy a G2 battery, simply flip it over so the flex has a little more play in it, then attach it to the logic board? It seems do-able, if the flex permits it and they're of a similar height and width. Anyone got N5 and a G2 that fancy's taking them apart?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	13113
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2372720  
Last edited by deansaunders; 5th November 2013 at 02:12 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deansaunders For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 02:11 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 103

449 posts
Donate to Me
No pics are attached.
5th November 2013, 02:11 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 126

191 posts
How did you remove the rattle in the power button did you identify something that is easily fixed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
5th November 2013, 02:18 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag South West England

115 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ

No pics are attached.

Uploaded now, the pic is of a G2 battery
5th November 2013, 02:20 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag South West England

115 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth131

How did you remove the rattle in the power button did you identify something that is easily fixed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

There is a gap (extremely tiny) in between the ceramic power button and the micro-switch inside. I took out the logic board then rested a tiny square of normal paper (about 2mm x 2mm) on the inside of the button. Carefully put the logic board back in so as not to knock the paper from it's place, put the phone back together and the rattle has gone, plus the button has a more firm click
The Following User Says Thank You to deansaunders For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 02:22 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 103

449 posts
Donate to Me
Here is a pic of the Nexus 5 battery

5th November 2013, 02:24 PM   |  #7  
Flag Swansea, Wales
Thanks Meter: 98

279 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansaunders

There is a gap (extremely tiny) in between the ceramic power button and the micro-switch inside. I took out the logic board then rested a tiny square of normal paper (about 2mm x 2mm) on the inside of the button. Carefully put the logic board back in so as not to knock the paper from it's place, put the phone back together and the rattle has gone, plus the button has a more firm click

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Can't this just be done by sliding a bit of paper at the side of the button without taking the device apart?

I have the same problem and the rattling is doing my head in.

Last edited by reeco; 5th November 2013 at 02:27 PM.
5th November 2013, 02:26 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag South West England

115 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ

Here is a pic of the Nexus 5 battery

They look pretty similar in size....
Really wish I knew someone with a G2 that I could take the battery out of to experiment
The Following User Says Thank You to deansaunders For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 02:28 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag South West England

115 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeco

Can't this just be done by sliding a bit of paper at the side of the button without taking the device apart?

I have the same problem and the rattling is doing my head in.

I tried that originally and the gap is too small. My next idea was to pad the area out with cotton wool, and although that worked it made the power button pretty stiff. Once you have the back of the phone off the rest is really simple, there's 6 screws to take out, pop a plastic cover off, unclip about 3 flex cables and the board just lifts out. I can do it over again if you like and take photos so you can see how it's done?
5th November 2013, 02:34 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 497

2,471 posts
This would be an amazing mod if you could somehow smash in a 3000mah battery, although I highly doubt it would fit.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread