Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Black vs White subtle differences

OP timothyung

1st November 2013, 07:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 198
 
331 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
I got a chance today to get hold of both variations. Other than the obvious color on the back, there are several subtle differences:
1. Earpiece color, black vs white
2. Side finish, matte vs glossy
3. Back finish, soft-touch vs regular matte plastic (contrary to what Engadget reported)

I was going to grab the white one for the look, but after getting them in my hands, I changed my mind. That soft touch back on the black one is really comfortable to touch (I don't plan on using a case anyway). Also, I prefer the earpiece to be black.

Also take a look at this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=123
Last edited by timothyung; 2nd November 2013 at 07:05 PM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to timothyung For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2013, 08:00 PM   |  #2  
crawlgsx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Maine, USA
Thanks Meter: 284
 
1,511 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyung

I got a chance today to get hold of both variations. Other than the obvious color on the back, there are several subtle differences:
1. Earpiece color, black vs white
2. Side finish, matte vs glossy
3. Back finish, soft-touch vs regular matte plastic (contrary to what Engadget reported)

I was going to grab the white one for the look, but after getting them in my hands, I changed my mind. That soft touch back on the black one is really comfortable to touch (I don't plan on using a case anyway). Also, I prefer the earpiece to be black.

Weak, I didn't know that (about the finish on the back) or I too would've opted for black.
1st November 2013, 08:02 PM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
So the conclusion is that white has the better looking and the black is more comfortable for using?
1st November 2013, 08:04 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 51
 
552 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoxhui

So the conclusion is that white has the better looking and the black is more comfortable for using?

16gb white was all that was available when i hit the play store yesterday so that's what i ordered. i like the black / white combo on this device and ordered the white spiegen ultra fit case to show it off.

won't really matter how the back compares against the black once the case is on there.

*shrugs.
1st November 2013, 08:07 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 198
 
331 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoxhui

So the conclusion is that white has the better looking and the black is more comfortable for using?

Well yes, this is my opinion, although IMO white is just slightly more appealing if it also have a soft touch back.
I guess having soft touch on white is either very difficult, or will make it stain/turn yellow easily
I always believed that the white one will not have soft touch, until I read the Engadget report...but it turns out to be false
1st November 2013, 08:12 PM   |  #6  
Tony_YYZ's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 101
 
440 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Donate to Me
I have a white GS3 and love white devices but after never being able to get a case or bumper that can stay clean, I opted for the black Nexus 5.
1st November 2013, 08:16 PM   |  #7  
Yadao's Avatar
Senior Member
USA
Thanks Meter: 66
 
175 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Man, if I had known the white wasn't a soft-touch stain magnet, I may have considered it more. That white ear piece grill is ugly, though.
1st November 2013, 08:17 PM   |  #8  
Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 7
 
40 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
More
Now that you mention it it makes sense that they wouldnt go soft touch with the white. Makes me long for the black one now. Im not usually one to put my phone is a case, but I think without the softback I might go with a case this time around and see how it works. Regardless, they both look like great pieces of hardware
1st November 2013, 08:23 PM   |  #9  
crawlgsx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Maine, USA
Thanks Meter: 284
 
1,511 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyburke

16gb white was all that was available when i hit the play store yesterday so that's what i ordered. i like the black / white combo on this device and ordered the white spiegen ultra fit case to show it off.

won't really matter how the back compares against the black once the case is on there.

*shrugs.

Whats a case?

/s
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crawlgsx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2013, 09:11 PM   |  #10  
Kenneth131's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 126
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyung

I got a chance today to get hold of both variations. Other than the obvious color on the back, there are several subtle differences:
1. Earpiece color, black vs white
2. Side finish, matte vs glossy
3. Back finish, soft-touch vs regular matte plastic (contrary to what Engadget reported)

I was going to grab the white one for the look, but after getting them in my hands, I changed my mind. That soft touch back on the black one is really comfortable to touch (I don't plan on using a case anyway). Also, I prefer the earpiece to be black.

Man thats disappointing. I was looking forward to the white. Did the back cover feel like the same type of plastic on the white HTC HERO? I Wish I could get hands on both. I was really up for the white but the ear piece looks silver in pics and I thought it would really detract from the gorgeous screen always catching your eye.

Shame they really should have documented that there was a difference in the two models and how they are finished.

Also how did the glossy sides feel of the white one? Im assuming the white is aimed stereotypically at the female market hence the glossy glossy sides.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes