Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,803 Members 36,827 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Black vs White subtle differences

Tip us?

timothyung
Old
(Last edited by timothyung; 2nd November 2013 at 06:05 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197
Default Black vs White subtle differences

I got a chance today to get hold of both variations. Other than the obvious color on the back, there are several subtle differences:
1. Earpiece color, black vs white
2. Side finish, matte vs glossy
3. Back finish, soft-touch vs regular matte plastic (contrary to what Engadget reported)

I was going to grab the white one for the look, but after getting them in my hands, I changed my mind. That soft touch back on the black one is really comfortable to touch (I don't plan on using a case anyway). Also, I prefer the earpiece to be black.

Also take a look at this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=123
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to timothyung For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crawlgsx
Old
Thanks Meter 270

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyung View Post
I got a chance today to get hold of both variations. Other than the obvious color on the back, there are several subtle differences:
3. Back finish, soft-touch vs regular matte plastic (contrary to what Engadget reported)

I was going to grab the white one for the look, but after getting them in my hands, I changed my mind. That soft touch back on the black one is really comfortable to touch (I don't plan on using a case anyway). Also, I prefer the earpiece to be black.
Weak, I didn't know that (about the finish on the back) or I too would've opted for black.
Chris D.
AT&T | iPhone 6 Plus Slate Gray 64gb | Moto X 2014 Ordered Black/Leather/Silver Pure Edition
Previously - Moto X, Lumia 930, LG G3, HTC One M8, LG G2, Nexus 5, HTC One, BB Z10, Note II, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, ATT GS3, Note N7000, Skyrocket, Infuse 4g, Inspire 4g , Atrix 4g, iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, iPhone, HTC 8525, many dumb-phones.

taoxhui
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So the conclusion is that white has the better looking and the black is more comfortable for using?

cyburke
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoxhui View Post
So the conclusion is that white has the better looking and the black is more comfortable for using?
16gb white was all that was available when i hit the play store yesterday so that's what i ordered. i like the black / white combo on this device and ordered the white spiegen ultra fit case to show it off.

won't really matter how the back compares against the black once the case is on there.

*shrugs.

timothyung
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoxhui View Post
Well yes, this is my opinion, although IMO white is just slightly more appealing if it also have a soft touch back.
I guess having soft touch on white is either very difficult, or will make it stain/turn yellow easily
I always believed that the white one will not have soft touch, until I read the Engadget report...but it turns out to be false

Tony_YYZ
Old
Thanks Meter 95

DONATE TO ME
I have a white GS3 and love white devices but after never being able to get a case or bumper that can stay clean, I opted for the black Nexus 5.
CANADA | ROGERS | NEXUS 5 | D820 | KK 4.4.4 | Stock w/Root & Xposed
Nexus 7 FHD Tablet | FLO | KK 4.4.4 | Stock w/Root & Xposed

http://www.infowerxsolutions.com - Check us out for cheap US roaming plans (Canadians)

Yadao
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Man, if I had known the white wasn't a soft-touch stain magnet, I may have considered it more. That white ear piece grill is ugly, though.

s33squar3d
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Now that you mention it it makes sense that they wouldnt go soft touch with the white. Makes me long for the black one now. Im not usually one to put my phone is a case, but I think without the softback I might go with a case this time around and see how it works. Regardless, they both look like great pieces of hardware

crawlgsx
Old
Thanks Meter 270

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyburke View Post
16gb white was all that was available when i hit the play store yesterday so that's what i ordered. i like the black / white combo on this device and ordered the white spiegen ultra fit case to show it off.

won't really matter how the back compares against the black once the case is on there.

*shrugs.
Whats a case?

/s
Chris D.
AT&T | iPhone 6 Plus Slate Gray 64gb | Moto X 2014 Ordered Black/Leather/Silver Pure Edition
Previously - Moto X, Lumia 930, LG G3, HTC One M8, LG G2, Nexus 5, HTC One, BB Z10, Note II, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, ATT GS3, Note N7000, Skyrocket, Infuse 4g, Inspire 4g , Atrix 4g, iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, iPhone, HTC 8525, many dumb-phones.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crawlgsx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kenneth131
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyung View Post

Man thats disappointing. I was looking forward to the white. Did the back cover feel like the same type of plastic on the white HTC HERO? I Wish I could get hands on both. I was really up for the white but the ear piece looks silver in pics and I thought it would really detract from the gorgeous screen always catching your eye.

Shame they really should have documented that there was a difference in the two models and how they are finished.

Also how did the glossy sides feel of the white one? Im assuming the white is aimed stereotypically at the female market hence the glossy glossy sides.
nexus 4 301 Rev 11