5,604,050 Members 46,493 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 Straight Talk (AT&T) Thread

Tip us?

FunDionysus
Old
(Last edited by FunDionysus; 24th February 2014 at 05:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Signing up with AT&T will have to be my solution for now.

godleye
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I recently purchased a Red Nexus 5 for straight talk and have been a straight talk user for almost 3 years. The only phone I ever used with them before the Nexus 5 was a flip non android phone that happened to be Verizon tower based. The Signal was always 4-5 bars withe flip phone (Verizon) even though I live a rural area. However when getting the AT&T Sim card connected to the Nexus i found that it was a 1 bar or less on coverage (Horrible signal!), but the signal was only the beginning of the problem.

First off let me say I would not wish the experience of straight talk customer service on anyone! Since my last phone was a Verizon and my new phone at&t the web site wouldn't let me port my number over (according to the rep) and that she would do it over the phone. Well all she did was activate the phone with a new number and then told me i had to wait till next month to get it ported. Yeah this went over well..... So I ended up getting my number ported over to Google voice after spending another 20 bucks and forwarded it to my phone. Only problem with Google voice is i don't receive any MMS from them.

I have manged to get my phone working with 2 bars (Sometimes even 3) but i have a feeling straight talk isn't using all of at&t's towers. The AT&T coverage map however shows great signal at LTE speeds in my area. Next month I will be switching over to AIO and see how they fare.

Heres a list of things I did to improve my Cell Reception with Straight Talk.

1. There is a List of Modem Drivers on XDA that I downloaded and flashed each one separately after testing the signal strength using an app called Network Signal Info (Lower dBm is better). After a tedious hour of flashing each driver and monitoring the dBM i found that the .15 Driver (D820 KRT01B) was what improved the reception the best for me with .17 a close second. This of course does require root.

NOTE: PLEASE!!!! Backup your EFS by following the guide located at the above "Modem Drivers" link. You do not want to lose that info as it's married to your phone.

2. I Found a set of AT&T APN settings that were different from the rest I saw posted here. Not sure if it improves for you but they seem to work for me.

Name: STRAIGHT_TALK
APN: tfdata
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN Type: default,supl,mms,hipri,agps,fota,dun,entitle
APN Protocol: IPV4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPV4

<Insert Standard Disclamer Here> aka "Use at your own Risk, Im not Responsible)
The Following User Says Thank You to godleye For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

digiblur
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1964

DONATE TO ME
Straight Talk uses all of AT&T's towers just like AIO does. They don't just leave ones out here and there to screw with people.

Moscow Desire
Old
Senior Moderator - Resident Troll Killer
Thanks Meter 5045

DONATE TO ME
Attention K-Mart Staff, Clean-up in aisle 6!

Knock it OFF please, and post in a civil manner. No need to get all hot-headed. I'm sure both of you can find more "literate" ways to discuss things.

Last 3 posts were deleted due to being argumentative. So if any useful info was in there, well, sorry, I'm not going to spend time editing your posts. You can re-post in a more civil manner.

Cheers and carry on.

MD
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Read XDA Rules which can be found HERE

Though I walk among the trolls, I fear them not, for I am the Troll King
Killen dem Trolls since 2011
Acer Iconia A701***A501***ExPlay X-Tremer***HTC Desire***Desire S
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moscow Desire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ubelsteiner
Old
Thanks Meter 1
i've been using AT&T through straight talk for the past year or two on my galaxy nexus. I ordered a AT&T micro SIM from straight talk when i ordered my N5. When they arrived i put the SIM card in and got on the website to transfer my service from my Gnex to my N5 and ran into an issue doing so because I kept getting an error that the serial number i was entering for the SIM wasnt a valid one, even tho I was certain that it was. So I called up straight talk and, after explaining the problem to 2-3 different (what i'm assuming to be) reps from India i was transferred to someone in US support and they did something on their end and my new SIM's serial was accepted.

I'm on AT&T 4G LTE in the Pittsburgh area and loving the speeds compared to the HSPA+ with my Gnex

FunDionysus
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Of course APN settings impact data/internet and messaging services. But those services were not the issue. Voice connectivity/reception/quality was the issue.

Deleted ALL APN settings from the phone, and phone connected to voice service as usual.

KidCuda
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by godleye View Post
I recently purchased a Red Nexus 5 for straight talk and have been a straight talk user for almost 3 years. The only phone I ever used with them before the Nexus 5 was a flip non android phone that happened to be Verizon tower based. The Signal was always 4-5 bars withe flip phone (Verizon) even though I live a rural area. However when getting the AT&T Sim card connected to the Nexus i found that it was a 1 bar or less on coverage (Horrible signal!), but the signal was only the beginning of the problem.

First off let me say I would not wish the experience of straight talk customer service on anyone! Since my last phone was a Verizon and my new phone at&t the web site wouldn't let me port my number over (according to the rep) and that she would do it over the phone. Well all she did was activate the phone with a new number and then told me i had to wait till next month to get it ported. Yeah this went over well..... So I ended up getting my number ported over to Google voice after spending another 20 bucks and forwarded it to my phone. Only problem with Google voice is i don't receive any MMS from them.

I have manged to get my phone working with 2 bars (Sometimes even 3) but i have a feeling straight talk isn't using all of at&t's towers. The AT&T coverage map however shows great signal at LTE speeds in my area. Next month I will be switching over to AIO and see how they fare.

Heres a list of things I did to improve my Cell Reception with Straight Talk.

1. There is a List of Modem Drivers on XDA that I downloaded and flashed each one separately after testing the signal strength using an app called Network Signal Info (Lower dBm is better). After a tedious hour of flashing each driver and monitoring the dBM i found that the .15 Driver (D820 KRT01B) was what improved the reception the best for me with .17 a close second. This of course does require root.

NOTE: PLEASE!!!! Backup your EFS by following the guide located at the above "Modem Drivers" link. You do not want to lose that info as it's married to your phone.

2. I Found a set of AT&T APN settings that were different from the rest I saw posted here. Not sure if it improves for you but they seem to work for me.

Name: STRAIGHT_TALK
APN: tfdata
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN Type: default,supl,mms,hipri,agps,fota,dun,entitle
APN Protocol: IPV4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPV4

<Insert Standard Disclamer Here> aka "Use at your own Risk, Im not Responsible)
So I have my MMS proxy set to mms3.tracfone.com, would it be better to switch it to that IP address? I've had other people on vanilla AT&T not receive my mms sometimes.

godleye
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCuda View Post
So I have my MMS proxy set to mms3.tracfone.com, would it be better to switch it to that IP address? I've had other people on vanilla AT&T not receive my mms sometimes.
It's the same.

maucer
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Smile Always On Push Notifications android app

I am not sure if anyone is following this thread anymore, but I switched to StraightTalk about a month ago, and have been experiencing huge delays in my google voice notifications as well (among other things). I've tried several different apps to get this resolved, but none have worked for me... so I decided to write my own. It was published to the google play store this morning (Android 2.3+ currently). If anyone sees this, please try it out, and let me know what you think.

It's called "Always On Push Notifications". I can't post a link right now because I haven't posted on these forums enough yet.

903tex
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Great lte speeds for me and MMS works great! Work around for MMS on stock ROM is use gosms and enter your APN settings in the gosms advanced settings.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395704082104.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2648410  
Current Device

Nexus 5

Previous Devices
TO MANY TO LIST!!! LOL

IF I HELPED YOU WITH ANYTHING HIT THAT THANKS BUTTON.......