5,603,729 Members 37,924 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 put to the ultimate durability test!

Tip us?

BiznessMan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Default Nexus 5 put to the ultimate durability test!

BY ACCIDENT.

So this weekend the girlfriend and I were getting ready for a small road trip. I had my jacket and Nexus in hand when I get to the car and I put them both on the top as I dug around trying to find my cigarette lighter -> USB device under the seats. I got distracted and ended up leaving with both my coat and phone on the top of my car. I turn out of my apartment complex and floor it to 40mph. I'd say about 5 minutes later we get to the gas station and I realize my Nexus is missing!

I realized what I had done and we went back to see both of my items lying in the busy street. My poor Nexus was face down on the asphalt... I had to play Frogger to get across the road safetly and to my surprise the phone was okay. It has quite a few small scratches on the front and the plastic on the top edge is a little rough but aside from that everything is fine. I was so surprised after shattering my Nexus 4 not too long ago.

Just figured I'd share this story. I'm more impressed with the build quality now after knowing that it landed face down and was probably ran over by a few cars
The Following User Says Thank You to BiznessMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

h20wakebum
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiznessMan View Post
BY ACCIDENT.

So this weekend the girlfriend and I were getting ready for a small road trip. I had my jacket and Nexus in hand when I get to the car and I put them both on the top as I dug around trying to find my cigarette lighter -> USB device under the seats. I got distracted and ended up leaving with both my coat and phone on the top of my car. I turn out of my apartment complex and floor it to 40mph. I'd say about 5 minutes later we get to the gas station and I realize my Nexus is missing!

I realized what I had done and we went back to see both of my items lying in the busy street. My poor Nexus was face down on the asphalt... I had to play Frogger to get across the road safetly and to my surprise the phone was okay. It has quite a few small scratches on the front and the plastic on the top edge is a little rough but aside from that everything is fine. I was so surprised after shattering my Nexus 4 not too long ago.

Just figured I'd share this story. I'm more impressed with the build quality now after knowing that it landed face down and was probably ran over by a few cars
sorry to hear! was it naked or a case?

can you post pics?

colander
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20wakebum View Post
sorry to hear! was it naked or a case?

can you post pics?
yeah pics would be interesting

deadpedal
Old
Thanks Meter 437
Also in for pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Redmed427
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Fwiw your durability will definitely vary. The phone slipped out of my hands from waist height on turkey day and got a nice thick scratch across the whole mid section of the screen. Of COURSE it landed face down -_- first time ever dropping it too
Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Redmed427 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BiznessMan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Here are the pictures. I apologize, they were taken with a gen 4 iPod Touch so they look really bad

The scratches look way worse in the photo because I had it facing a bright light. Normal use I hardly notice them (especially with the screen on)
I might eventually just buy a new glass and replace it myself but we'll see. I dropped both my Note 2 and Nexus 4 with awful results.

And yes it was naked when it hit the pavement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BiznessMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]