Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,261 Members 51,331 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why The Nexus has a bad radio

Tip us?

markdapimp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 320
Default Why The Nexus has a bad radio

I have an HTC One and Nexus 5 I love them both dearly. However After extensive research on it's not so good radio (Nexus 5) I have compiled many theories about this and solutions.

Firstly the Nexus 5 is an Unlocked GSM Device which means your carrier isn't involved, Which brings many drawbacks such as tower hand off and other signal factors.

Example: HTC One and Nexus 5 Both in backyard 1 Bar Signal both register around -93Dbm, Bring inside both device's where my T-Mobile Cel-FI is.. Boom HTC One automatically hand's off to that "Tower" and the Nexus 5 still is trying to register itself to the tower it was previously on before. Until 2 Mins later it will register on the Cel-FI repeater.

Why is this? Carrier Devices are better for signal as the carrier optimizes them before releasing the radio to the handset, where as Google and LG release like a very generic radio RIL which works decently for all carriers, however once again there are drawbacks to that as stated above.

To better improve hand off and signal readings see this article I found which helped me http://ianmarmour.com/2014/02/02/goo...-34g-networks/

Its better than before but still not comparable to an HTC One

So overall carrier devices have much better signal and tower handoff as the carrier optimized the radio as where as a Unlocked device it's very generic and won't be as great as a device from your carrier (This same behavior is present in a Factory Unlocked iphone 5 vs T-Mobile branded iPhone 5)

I expect google to roll out a software update soon to fix this , I hope this helps the majority of you having signal issues
Devices: Nexus 5 (Sold) 1X
Nexus 5
HTC One

tien113
Old
Thanks Meter 7
R u using KitKat 4.4.2?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Google Nexus 5 32GB White
CWM+rooted
stock ROM + Franco r33 kernel
dalvik+bionic library optimization
Xposed+APM+GravityBox+NotifyClean+Greenify
disable fast dormancy
KRT01B Radio (Radio 4.4.2 suck)

crachel
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 2532
Please use one of your existing threads

The radio is great on the nexus 5
The radio SUCKS!

Closed

moto x: 4.4 | flo: 4.4

other: Chromecast | Chromebook | System76 | MacBook Air

former: hammerhead | m7 | mako | Kindle Fire | CR-48 | Revue | grouper | maguro | crespo | passion | GT-I9100 | vision | rhodium | kaiser

The Following User Says Thank You to crachel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe