5,598,297 Members 47,762 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NEXUS logo on the back falling off. Sort of.

Tip us?

haltemien
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default NEXUS logo on the back falling off. Sort of.

Hi!

If you look at the nexus logo on the back cover, you will notice that there is some sort of shiny material inside it. This material is glued on inside the letters. Seems like this was some very cheap glue, because Ive lost all mine. This is gonna happend with my friends phone aswell, as he noticed recently that his letters are "jiggly", and prone to fall out soon.

Ive contacted LG in Scandinavia, and they confirmed that this was something they where not aware off, and most likely is not a production error, and therefor not covered by the warrenty. This baffels me, because there was some media coverage about this problem shorty after the nexus 5 was launched. But I cant find any recent articels on the subject.
I feel like it's not worth sending the phone to LGs repair station, because they will most likely just send it back to me, with a message that it's not theyre fault, and charge me for the device check.
Would be nice if they could atleast send me a new back cover...

Anyway, I suspect that the reason that the glue lost its hold, might be because of the wireless charger. I got one about a month ago, and the problem started shorty thereafter. Is LG producing the OEM nexus charger aswell? Could they just blame it on the use of "unofficial" LG charger?

Anyone else lost the letters, or havent noticed it yet? When the letters are gone the letters are just like the rest of the back cover. AKA not shiny.

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to haltemien For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RoyJ
Old
Thanks Meter 870
Honestly I didn't even notice they were shiny lol. I just checked and mine are fine, but then again I bought a case for the N5 before I had the N5. It's been in it since day 1. Still perfect tho.
*Click for device info

ROM: All of them at least once
KERNEL: Bricked Stable
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.3.6.4
Other Devices: Galaxy Nexus

CH3ck0r
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I also noticed, that one of my letters remained on the wireless charger. But I lost all of them now, and only the second one was on the wireless charger. I barely even notice that the letters are a bit less shiny now, so to me this would not be worth the fuzz

d_phekt
Old
(Last edited by d_phekt; 11th March 2014 at 02:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 329
I had this happen a month or so ago and just decided to pick them all out. In case some of you don't realize.. There is a tiny bit of adhesive left behind after the shiny part of the stickers fall out. The leftover adhesive strips can easily be removed using an xacto knife or even a toothpick. IMHO it looks better without the glossy letters.

Device: Google Nexus 5 D820 Black 32GB
Rom: Stock KitKat 4.4.2 KOT49H/Rooted
Kernel: ElementalX
Recovery: Clockworkmod 6.0.4.5
Carrier: -T---Mobile-

OuncE718
Old
Thanks Meter 255
Its possible that steam from a hot shower can cause the glue to weaken and the letters to fall off.

On another note I always take my phone in the bathroom with me when I shower and it gets pretty steamy in there but my letters are still intact.

Eventually I won't be so lucky.

sent from my neXus 5

Docarut
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I put on a Seidio Surface case first day holding those letters on. Using wireless charger with the case there is no magnetic hold but Seidio prop on back of case butts to the bottom of Google charger and charges through the case fine.

howard bamber
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Wish mine would fall out. I'd like to fill with black fill.
All the other grumbles, noisy switch, dull screen, etal I don't suffer from. I've never had trouble with any Nexus phone, from the 1/5.They all work most have cm11,except the later. It's a legacy platform, IMO.

Sent using reversed alien technology...

bushako
Old
Thanks Meter 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuncE718 View Post
Its possible that steam from a hot shower can cause the glue to weaken and the letters to fall off.

On another note I always take my phone in the bathroom with me when I shower and it gets pretty steamy in there but my letters are still intact.

Eventually I won't be so lucky.

sent from my neXus 5
Now why would you shower with your phone next to you? lol
Nexus 5 32GB, Mahdi Rom 2.5, Franco Kernel and FKU.

OuncE718
Old
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako View Post
Some of us get real important phone calls that we just can't miss, also some people shower and listen to music on their phone.

Edit: A nosey girlfriend or wife can also be a good reason to shower with the phone next to you.

sent from my neXus 5

FuMMoD
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1856

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako View Post
Music mainly lol but some of us are on call for a lot of stuff and have to be glued to our phone even when we don't want to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
If I helped you out please click the thanks button under my name. Thanks!

Holo White Accent Theme Zip For Cataclysm
Nexus 5 Cataclysm Help thread and Mirrors

The Following User Says Thank You to FuMMoD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]