Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,814 Members 51,105 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

You won't be able to swap the G2 battery into the Nexus 5

Tip us?

Warrimonk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 106
Default You won't be able to swap the G2 battery into the Nexus 5

Hey fellow XDA'ers

I have seen a few people suggesting the possibility of swapping the LG G2 battery into the Nexus 5, which reminds me of the Atrix HD. You could swap the 1780 battery out of the Atrix HD and throw in the 3300mah battery from the Razr MAXX, almost doubling the battery life. The batteries were almost the same size except for an increased thickness.

Naturally I also dreamed of putting a beefier battery into my (soon to be arriving) Nexus 5, however I come to you now to destroy those dreams.

I pulled up some old FCC battery pictures of the LG G2 battery, model BL-T7, and the Nexus 5 battery, the BL-T9.

As you can see in the attached pictures, there are 2 major issues that will prevent a battery swap from happening:

LG G2 BL-T7

55mm wide
67mm long

Nexus 5 BL-T9

57mm wide
60mm long

The LG G2s battery is 2 millimeters thinner, however it is also 7 millimeters wider. This is a rather large difference, and looking at photo 3, there is no way in hell you are going to get another 7mm of height.

Secondly, the placement of the cable where the battery attaches to the phone is very offset. You would need some sort of extender in order to get the connector to reach, would would be another chore in itself.

LG G2 battery:

Nexus 5 battery:

Nexus 5 with cover removed:

I realize my measurements might not be perfect, but I highly doubt they are more than 1-2mm off.

It really is too bad... because it looked like the N5 has a few mm of thickness to spare.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Warrimonk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wideasleep1
Old
Thanks Meter 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrimonk View Post
Hey fellow XDA'ers

I have seen a few people suggesting the possibility of swapping the LG G2 battery into the Nexus 5, which reminds me of the Atrix HD. You could swap the 1780 battery out of the Atrix HD and throw in the 3300mah battery from the Razr MAXX, almost doubling the battery life. The batteries were almost the same size except for an increased thickness.

Naturally I also dreamed of putting a beefier battery into my (soon to be arriving) Nexus 5, however I come to you now to destroy those dreams.

I pulled up some old FCC battery pictures of the LG G2 battery, model BL-T7, and the Nexus 5 battery, the BL-T9.

As you can see in the attached pictures, there are 2 major issues that will prevent a battery swap from happening:

LG G2 BL-T7

55mm wide
67mm long

Nexus 5 BL-T9

57mm wide
60mm long

The LG G2s battery is 2 millimeters thinner, however it is also 7 millimeters wider. This is a rather large difference, and looking at photo 3, there is no way in hell you are going to get another 7mm of height.

Secondly, the placement of the cable where the battery attaches to the phone is very offset. You would need some sort of extender in order to get the connector to reach, would would be another chore in itself.

LG G2 battery:

Nexus 5 battery:

Nexus 5 with cover removed:

I realize my measurements might not be perfect, but I highly doubt they are more than 1-2mm off.

It really is too bad... because it looked like the N5 has a few mm of thickness to spare.

One word. Okay.. two....Duct Tape!
B/W Sidekick/Color Sidekick2/TMO MDA/TMO Dash/G1/Nexus 1/Sensation/SGS3/Nexus 4/Nexus 5/LG G3
Rockin Android before it was Cool!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wideasleep1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bleuxeon
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideasleep1 View Post
One word. Okay.. two....Duct Tape!
wich means?
RIP lost Galaxy S2
NEXUS 5, D821, black, 32Gb
Kernel : franco.Kernel
ROM : Paranoid

Nexus 7 2013 32Gb
Kernel : Glitch/ElementalX
ROM : Paranoid/Cleanrom testing

digweed4me
Old
Thanks Meter 235
These two are whole different phone 2300mah vs 3000mah battery Why would it? God damn ppl In here

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digweed4me For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Warrimonk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by digweed4me View Post
These two are whole different phone 2300mah vs 3000mah battery Why would it? God damn ppl In here

Did you not read my entire post? The Razr MAXX battery fit into the Atrix HD. 1780mah vs 3300mah. You say "God damn ppl in here", but you are one of those people. Learn to read next time before you insult people.
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to Warrimonk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scmobileman
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Did you not read my entire post? The Razr MAXX battery fit into the Atrix HD. 1780mah vs 3300mah. You say "God damn ppl in here", but you are one of those people. Learn to read next time before you insult people.
I appreciate you posting this. This will be my first phone in years that doesn't have a removable battery and I'm really worried I won't be able to keep the phone long for that reason. I was wondering if there were any options to improve the battery (physically) and you eliminated one possibility.

digweed4me
Old
Thanks Meter 235
Quote:
Both are non removable battery Why would you think like that?

The Following User Says Thank You to digweed4me For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

1stx2
Old
(Last edited by 1stx2; 3rd November 2013 at 09:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmobileman View Post
I appreciate you posting this. This will be my first phone in years that doesn't have a removable battery and I'm really worried I won't be able to keep the phone long for that reason. I was wondering if there were any options to improve the battery (physically) and you eliminated one possibility.
This is going to be my first phone without a removable battery also. I think I can get by with something like down below.

I plan on getting one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NF...110_SY165_QL70

Or maybe this. ( its probably to big to carry around everyday tho).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009US...r=8-1&pi=SY200

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Race In Paradise PW & RR

when life gets you down just crank up the music and have another beer..and if things doesn't get better.. well at least you had a beer
-from a guy on youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtommy306 View Post
Poor guy has no business modding a phone if he doesn't know that unlocked nexus is the KING of development!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1stx2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Warrimonk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by digweed4me View Post
Both are non removable battery Why would you think like that?

So were the batteries in my other example and it worked. They kept the battery width and length the same but increased the thickness.

You can still remove a non-removable battery. It just isn't easy enough for the average user to do. I made this post to address the modding community that likes to do hacks such as this.

Look here for proof : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1906371

princem131
Old
(Last edited by princem131; 3rd November 2013 at 10:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stx2 View Post
This is going to be my first phone without a removable battery also. I think I can get by with something like down below.

I plan on getting one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NF...110_SY165_QL70

Or maybe this. ( its probably to big to carry around everyday tho).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009US...r=8-1&pi=SY200

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
I have a similar model of the second battery you posted that I use a lot when traveling. Prior to my extended battery on my S3 I used it somewhat regularly. Last forever so nice to keep in my car or bag. Probably be using this more frequently now. Coming from a 4500 mah battery to 2300 its gonna suck having to think about battery again.

A physical hack to mitigate the lack of mah caught my eye

Positive Vibrations

The Following User Says Thank You to princem131 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]