Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,969 Members 37,802 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

PSA: Google is offering a one time replacement on a cracked screen/water damage.

Tip us?

madquack
Old
(Last edited by madquack; 5th September 2014 at 10:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 431
Default PSA: Google is offering a one time replacement on a cracked screen/water damage.

YMMV, but it appears as though Hammerhead devices you've purchased from Google Play Store that are cracked or ones that have suffered water damage are able to be replaced completely free. They'll put a hold on your debit/credit card, mail you a replacement and you send the old/broken/damaged one back.

Note: This is one time replacement is only available for folks who purchased their phones in the US and from the Google Play Store!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comme...repair_policy/

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/st...blsvoinmwqxs0k
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to madquack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kilowatt95
Old
Thanks Meter 23
If only they had implemented this earlier!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

kwPhone6: Google Nexus 5 D821: Android 4.4.4 Stock ROM, Franco kernel r61, PhilZ touch recovery
kwPad2: LG G Pad 8.3 V500: SlimKat 4.4.2 Linaro (Infected_ build), PhilZ touch recovery
kwPhone5: Galaxy S III i9305: SlimKat 4.4.4, PhilZ touch Recovery
kwPad ASUS Transformer Eee Pad TF101: SlimKat 4.4.2, TWRP

---RETIRED---
kwPhone4: iPhone 4, kwPhone3: Samsung Tocco, kwPhone2: Nokia N73, kwPhone: Samsung SGH-X680

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,610
It seems Google doesn't have any more brand new devices and are getting rid of all the refurbished ones too before the next release. Lol.
@simms22 maybe you should give Google a call and see if they'll actually replace it

ふかつどう
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.

koolthing
Old
Thanks Meter 3
too bad it's only for US :/

mistahseller
Old
Thanks Meter 193
only to US customers and only to people who bought from the PlayStore.

I will be getting one because I was working out and accidentally set a weight down on my phone inside the towel and I damaged the digitizer and smeared the color.

madquack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 431
I am thoroughly impressed, the entire process took about seven minutes! My "new" (refurbished) phone shall be at my doorstep tomorrow! Not bad El Goog, not bad at all!

AHomelessGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 21
took 1 day for my phone to come in from Texas (I'm in NJ) ...everything is looking good for my replacement
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Device: Nexus 5
Nexus 7 2nd Generation
Samsung Galaxy SII (retired)
The Following User Says Thank You to AHomelessGuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mymusicathome
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Judging buy other Google services only around 2 years till we might see this in Canada then lol

seanowns
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I received my refurbished n5 within 12 hours of calling. Funny how she told me 7 to 14 days. Totally free, one time etc. Thank you Google!

meatwad0222
Old
Thanks Meter 54
so i got nowhere in the chat.

Conor D 6:13 PM
Hi Alex! Thanks for getting in touch with Google. My name is Conor.
me 6:13 PM
hi conor how are you today
Conor D 6:14 PM
I understand that you heard a rumor, and want to replace your Nexus 5 correct?
I'm doing well thank you, how are you today?
me 6:14 PM
im great i did if that was possible
Conor D 6:14 PM
I'd be happy to look into this for you. May I ask what is wrong with the Nexus 5?
me 6:15 PM
cracked screen, i heard that google may be replacing these at no charge. i thought it may be to good to be true but i needed to ask...lol
Conor D 6:15 PM
Ah I see.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to issue you a warranty replacement for your device because the damage was caused by situations not covered by our warranty policy.

any suggestions