Section 1a - Pre-root reads:
A collection of threads we here at XDA would expect you to read and understand before rooting. Anything you don't understand, please read and re-read. Feel free to ask questions in the Q&A forum too. The below threads do include guides too. This is because it is always best to read the end-to-end process before following the steps. Please do not follow the guides! Just read them for information purposes
. This will help you learn terminology and steps and help you better formulate an understanding of the way things work
- adb and fastboot. What is it? How can it help you? - basic information about adb and fastboot (by @rootSU) - READ FOR INFORMATION
- All you need to know about Android | Read this before you post/root ! - Understand the basics before you root (by @abaaaabbbb63 ) - READ FOR INFORMATION
- How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root - Set up ADB, Fastboot before you root (by @Chromium ) - READ FOR INFORMATION, DO NOT FOLLOW YET!
- How to flash a factory image | Return to stock | Unroot/SAVE your Nexus 5 - Understand how to undo whatever you do before you root (by @abaaaabbbb63 ) - READ FOR INFORMATION, DO NOT FOLLOW YET!
...and if you're ever unsure why we prefer you to not use toolkits or one-click root solutions, I hope this goes some way towards explaining
The Dangers of Tool Kits and One Click Root Methods + Mini Rant
by @El Daddy
Section 1b - Pre-root follows:
These threads you should follow before rooting. They're designed to ensure you have adb and fastboot set up on your windows computer and that you are able to use them. The first thread should install everything you need (adb., fastboot and drivers) to be able to connect to your windows computer and carry out any of the root / unroot guides. Folllow the first thread and check it works by booting into the bootloader, connecting via USB, then typing "fastboot devices" into command prompt. If you don't see any devices, try installing the driver from thread 2....
Section 2- Guides (Root specific):
- ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer - Really quick and easy way to install adb and fastboot (by @Snoop05) - INSTALL THIS BEFORE ROOT
- [ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver - A "bare" driver required for connecting your device(by @1wayjonny) - INSTALL THIS BEFORE ROOT if above fails
- Diagnosing USB Driver and ADB issues in Windows - Ensure ADB and fastboot WORK before you root (by @MaxRabbit ) - READ FOR INFORMATION, DO NOT FOLLOW unless both above fail
A collection of root specific guides. Not just guides on how to root, but also guides for other tasks that require root.
Section 3- Guides (Root agnostic):
- How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root - The preferred method. Allows you to learn and understand the basics (by @Chromium)
- How to Fix BSOD/No Bootloader - Fix for not booting / Black screen of death (by @wolfirotisha)
- Repairing corrupted /data partition - As it says. (by @cadbomb)
- Fix persist partition - No storage, IMEI lost, can't mount persist? (by @bitdomo)
A collection of guides that you do not need to be rooted to follow.
Section 4 - info (root specific):
- How to flash a factory image | Return to stock | Unroot/SAVE your Nexus 5 - Guide to unroot / refresh / save your Nexus 5 by flashing back to stock (by @abaaaabbbb63)
- How to flash factory images with LG Flashtool - Guide to unroot / refresh / save your Nexus 5 by flashing back to stock (by @bitdomo)
A collection of info threads for rooted users.
Section 5 - info (root agnostic):
- adb and fastboot. What is it? How can it help you? - basic information about adb and fastboot (by @rootSU)
- All-in-one beginners guide - Some tips for rooted users (by @xBeerdroiDx)
- All color related things! (FAQ, Calibration Guide, Development) - Useful resource for calibrating your screen colours etc (by @yorici)
- Undervolting thread - All Things related to undervolting (by @Tom540)
A collection of info threads for non-rooted and rooted users.
Section 6 - Resources
- OTA Help-Desk - Understand how OTA's work and what this means if you are rooted (by @El Daddy)
- tips & tricks with important info to know - Tips and tricks for non-root and root users (by @samersh72)
- Diagnosing USB Driver and ADB issues in Windows - Help diagnosing connectivity issues (by @MaxRabbit)
- Storage: Data (info / loss / recovery / prevention) - Handy resource to explain how the N5' internal memory works in a data context (by @rootSU)
A collection of useful resources
Section 7 - Indexes:
- [MODEM] [EFS] Nexus 5 Flashable Modems and EFS Backup (KTU84M). - upgrade your radio and backup your efs (by @autoprime)
- Back To Dalvik From Art (Flashable Zip) - a zip that prepares you for returning to Dalvik (by @@wells)
- Stock OTA URLs - Manually download OTA files (by @oldblue910)
- New GPU Drivers for Nexus 5 || Compatible with Android 4.4. - Latest Qualcomm graphics drivers (by @caspboy)
- Dalvik+bionic library optimization - Flashable - Optimisations for Dalvik runtime and bionic (by @jphilippon)
- Stock 4.4.4 KTU84P ODEX & DEODEX + SuperSU + Busybox -pre rooted stock, recovery flashable (forget OTA's rooted people) (by @vomer)
- Recovery Zip collection a collection of recovery zips (by @jd1639)
Section 8 - Known issues
- ROMs, Kernels, MODs, Recoveries, Themes - Links to everything custom (by @benkxda)
Section 9 - Discussions
- The Defects thread - A collection of "known" defects (by @dehsA)
- Light Bleed - Light bleeding from around the edges of the screen (by @undercover)
- LCD Density - Discussion about re-sizing graphical element (by @2sl0w)
- User Benchmark Thread - With Added Competition!. - Compare your **** in the shower (by @Dan1909)
- [Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot battery issues here! - Get help with your battery issues (by @KJ )
- Android "L" Developer Preview Discussion - general discussion (by @ El Daddy )
- Android "L" Developer Preview Help, Troubleshooting, Q&A - questions and troubleshooting (by @ El Daddy )
- Dedicated Runtime Thread (ART vs Dalvik) Discussions surrounding the use and differences between ART and Dalvik (by @aeppacher