Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 40,644 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

**Sticky Roll-Up: All Guides and Info Threads Linked Here**

Tip us?

rootSU
Old
(Last edited by rootSU; 27th June 2014 at 03:44 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9987
Default **Sticky Roll-Up: All Guides and Info Threads Linked Here**

This thread is intended to be your master resource for all the important and "must-read" threads, here in the Nexus 5 forum. It contains links to threads we expect you to read before rooting as well as links to guides to do the things you're looking to do.
Please feel free to post in this thread to suggest threads be added to this list.

Please do not ask questions or ask for support here.

Skip to post 2 for the links to the "must read" threads

Hot topics

Words of "Wisdom"

As you may well know, the Android 5.0 developer preview is out. This doesn't mean you have to flash it. If you are not familiar with flashing factory images, fastboot and device recovery - the developer preview is not for you. We're happy to help new people learn new things, but lets stick to the tried and tested things first please.

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
(Last edited by rootSU; 19th July 2014 at 10:32 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9987
Section 1a - Pre-root reads:

A collection of threads we here at XDA would expect you to read and understand before rooting. Anything you don't understand, please read and re-read. Feel free to ask questions in the Q&A forum too. The below threads do include guides too. This is because it is always best to read the end-to-end process before following the steps. Please do not follow the guides! Just read them for information purposes. This will help you learn terminology and steps and help you better formulate an understanding of the way things work
  1. adb and fastboot. What is it? How can it help you? - basic information about adb and fastboot (by @rootSU) - READ FOR INFORMATION
  2. All you need to know about Android | Read this before you post/root ! - Understand the basics before you root (by @abaaaabbbb63 ) - READ FOR INFORMATION
  3. How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root - Set up ADB, Fastboot before you root (by @Chromium ) - READ FOR INFORMATION, DO NOT FOLLOW YET!
  4. How to flash a factory image | Return to stock | Unroot/SAVE your Nexus 5 - Understand how to undo whatever you do before you root (by @abaaaabbbb63 ) - READ FOR INFORMATION, DO NOT FOLLOW YET!

...and if you're ever unsure why we prefer you to not use toolkits or one-click root solutions, I hope this goes some way towards explaining

The Dangers of Tool Kits and One Click Root Methods + Mini Rant by @El Daddy

Section 1b - Pre-root follows:

These threads you should follow before rooting. They're designed to ensure you have adb and fastboot set up on your windows computer and that you are able to use them. The first thread should install everything you need (adb., fastboot and drivers) to be able to connect to your windows computer and carry out any of the root / unroot guides. Folllow the first thread and check it works by booting into the bootloader, connecting via USB, then typing "fastboot devices" into command prompt. If you don't see any devices, try installing the driver from thread 2....
  1. ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer - Really quick and easy way to install adb and fastboot (by @Snoop05) - INSTALL THIS BEFORE ROOT
  2. [ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver - A "bare" driver required for connecting your device(by @1wayjonny) - INSTALL THIS BEFORE ROOT if above fails
  3. Diagnosing USB Driver and ADB issues in Windows - Ensure ADB and fastboot WORK before you root (by @MaxRabbit ) - READ FOR INFORMATION, DO NOT FOLLOW unless both above fail

Section 2- Guides (Root specific):

A collection of root specific guides. Not just guides on how to root, but also guides for other tasks that require root.
  1. How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root - The preferred method. Allows you to learn and understand the basics (by @Chromium)
  2. How to Fix BSOD/No Bootloader - Fix for not booting / Black screen of death (by @wolfirotisha)
  3. Repairing corrupted /data partition - As it says. (by @cadbomb)
  4. Fix persist partition - No storage, IMEI lost, can't mount persist? (by @bitdomo)

Section 3- Guides (Root agnostic):

A collection of guides that you do not need to be rooted to follow.
  1. How to flash a factory image | Return to stock | Unroot/SAVE your Nexus 5 - Guide to unroot / refresh / save your Nexus 5 by flashing back to stock (by @abaaaabbbb63)
  2. How to flash factory images with LG Flashtool - Guide to unroot / refresh / save your Nexus 5 by flashing back to stock (by @bitdomo)

Section 4 - info (root specific):

A collection of info threads for rooted users.
  1. adb and fastboot. What is it? How can it help you? - basic information about adb and fastboot (by @rootSU)
  2. All-in-one beginners guide - Some tips for rooted users (by @xBeerdroiDx)
  3. All color related things! (FAQ, Calibration Guide, Development) - Useful resource for calibrating your screen colours etc (by @yorici)
  4. Undervolting thread - All Things related to undervolting (by @Tom540)

Section 5 - info (root agnostic):

A collection if info threads for non-rooted and rooted users.
  1. OTA Help-Desk - Understand how OTA's work and what this means if you are rooted (by @El Daddy)
  2. tips & tricks with important info to know - Tips and tricks for non-root and root users (by @samersh72)
  3. Diagnosing USB Driver and ADB issues in Windows - Help diagnosing connectivity issues (by @MaxRabbit)
  4. Storage: Data (info / loss / recovery / prevention) - Handy resource to explain how the N5' internal memory works in a data context (by @rootSU)

Section 6 - Resources

A collection of useful resources
  1. [MODEM] [EFS] Nexus 5 Flashable Modems and EFS Backup (KTU84M). - upgrade your radio and backup your efs (by @autoprime)
  2. Back To Dalvik From Art (Flashable Zip) - a zip that prepares you for returning to Dalvik (by @@wells)
  3. Stock OTA URLs - Manually download OTA files (by @oldblue910)
  4. New GPU Drivers for Nexus 5 || Compatible with Android 4.4. - Latest Qualcomm graphics drivers (by @caspboy)
  5. Dalvik+bionic library optimization - Flashable - Optimisations for Dalvik runtime and bionic (by @jphilippon)
  6. Stock 4.4.4 KTU84P ODEX & DEODEX + SuperSU + Busybox -pre rooted stock, recovery flashable (forget OTA's rooted people) (by @vomer)

Section 7 - Indexes:
  1. ROMs, Kernels, MODs, Recoveries, Themes - Links to everything custom (by @benkxda)

Section 8 - Known issues
  1. The Defects thread - A collection of "known" defects (by @dehsA)
  2. Light Bleed - Light bleeding from around the edges of the screen (by @undercover)

Section 9 - Discussions
  1. LCD Density - Discussion about re-sizing graphical element (by @2sl0w)
  2. User Benchmark Thread - With Added Competition!. - Compare your **** in the shower (by @Dan1909)
  3. [Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot battery issues here! - Get help with your battery issues (by @KJ )
  4. Android "L" Developer Preview Discussion - general discussion (by @ El Daddy )
  5. Android "L" Developer Preview Help, Troubleshooting, Q&A - questions and troubleshooting (by @ El Daddy )
  6. Dedicated Runtime Thread (ART vs Dalvik) Discussions surrounding the use and differences between ART and Dalvik (by @aeppacher
    )
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
(Last edited by rootSU; 16th June 2014 at 11:34 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9987
Reserved 2
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1896

DONATE TO ME
Fantastic Thread! You could also add these which I could think of:

1. [Tutorial] How to flash factory images with LG Flashtool
2. [MODEM] [EFS] Nexus 5 Flashable Modems and EFS Backup (KTU84M)
3. [Guide]How to Fix BSOD/No Bootloader //This is the 2nd bootloader method.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
(Last edited by rootSU; 16th June 2014 at 11:34 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9987
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak View Post
Fantastic Thread! You could also add these which I could think of:

1. [Tutorial] How to flash factory images with LG Flashtool
2. [MODEM] [EFS] Nexus 5 Flashable Modems and EFS Backup (KTU84M)
3. [Guide]How to Fix BSOD/No Bootloader //This is the 2nd bootloader method.
Good call. Will do.

Done!
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1896

DONATE TO ME
Here are some which could make the OP more resourceful:

1. New GPU Drivers for Nexus 5 || Compatible with Android 4.4 || Updated 5.30.14 //Latest GPU Drivers Straight from Qualcomm.
2. Nexus 5 User Benchmark Thread - With Added Competition! //Could be a long shot
3. LCD Density
4. Back To Dalvik From Art (Flashable Zip) //If you ever get into a bootloop whilst changing to art on stock rom.
5. [REF] Nexus 5 Stock OTA URLs

PS: The BB coding for Flashable Modems and EFS Backup is borked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9987
Quote:
Here are some which could make the OP more resourceful:

1. New GPU Drivers for Nexus 5 || Compatible with Android 4.4 || Updated 5.30.14 //Latest GPU Drivers Straight from Qualcomm.
2. Nexus 5 User Benchmark Thread - With Added Competition! //Could be a long shot
3. LCD Density
4. Back To Dalvik From Art (Flashable Zip) //If you ever get into a bootloop whilst changing to art on stock rom.
5. [REF] Nexus 5 Stock OTA URLs

PS: The BB coding for Flashable Modems and EFS Backup is borked.

Changed the layout a bit and added a couple of extra sections

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1896

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Changed the layout a bit and added a couple of extra sections
Oooh Yeaaaah! May be you could add separators in between the sections? (an image of a horizontal line)

Edit: Something like these may be: http://designshack.net/postimages/faders_final.gif or http://www.ptreyescountryinn.com/wp-...es/break-b.png
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9987
Quote:
Oooh Yeaaaah! May be you could add separators in between the sections? (an image of a horizontal line)

Edit: Something like these may be: http://designshack.net/postimages/faders_final.gif or http://www.ptreyescountryinn.com/wp-...es/break-b.png
I've already got a preferred one I use which is this:

I just haven't got round to it yet. I'll do it now

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1896

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
I've already got a preferred one I use which is this:

I just haven't got round to it yet. I'll do it now
OP is looking well organized m8! But the images look damn ugly on Tapatalk tbh..Lol.

Great work! Will add it to my sigg as well.

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!