Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,356 Members 38,892 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ROK Mobile for T-mobile Nexus 5 (or any tmo phone)

Tip us?

faaaaq
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Info 2 ROK Mobile for T-mobile Nexus 5 (or any tmo phone)

Posting this simply because it took me forever to find this info, and ROK support kept telling me to update PRL and Profile...not something you can access on a GSM-programmed phone (at least I can't, not even on Stock rom).

Got my phone activated yesterday after waiting a week for my SIM. Was using my FreedomTalk VoIP minutes on my Nexus to talk to support so when they said to reboot and everything should be set, i just hung up on them and rebooted. Everything worked but data. Gave it a day, still no go. Called and they said we needed to manually reprogram the phone...so I needed to call back from a different phone (not possible at the moment). I told him I couldnt and he said to shut down, turn on after 60 seconds, update PRL and Profile, and see if that works. Obviously it did not. After much Googling I found this article on ROK's own site and it resolved my issue of not having data services.

https://rokmobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-...Mobile-devices

Follow that and boom, data will start working immediately.

bstringy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default So how is it??

How is it?? any different from the service directly through Tmobile? Are you able to compare dn/up speed side by side with another Tmobile phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faaaaq View Post
Posting this simply because it took me forever to find this info, and ROK support kept telling me to update PRL and Profile...not something you can access on a GSM-programmed phone (at least I can't, not even on Stock rom).

Got my phone activated yesterday after waiting a week for my SIM. Was using my FreedomTalk VoIP minutes on my Nexus to talk to support so when they said to reboot and everything should be set, i just hung up on them and rebooted. Everything worked but data. Gave it a day, still no go. Called and they said we needed to manually reprogram the phone...so I needed to call back from a different phone (not possible at the moment). I told him I couldnt and he said to shut down, turn on after 60 seconds, update PRL and Profile, and see if that works. Obviously it did not. After much Googling I found this article on ROK's own site and it resolved my issue of not having data services.

https://rokmobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-...Mobile-devices

Follow that and boom, data will start working immediately.

codesplice
Old
Thanks Meter 957
I'm having a hell of a time getting data to work on my Nexus 4. I configured my APN using the settings from ROK's site but still no dice:

Quote:
Name: ROK Mobile
APN: wholesale
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy: <Not set>
MMS Port: <Not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN Type: default,supl,mms,admin
You wouldn't happen to have any other tips, would you?

faaaaq
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
I'm having a hell of a time getting data to work on my Nexus 4. I configured my APN using the settings from ROK's site but still no dice:

You wouldn't happen to have any other tips, would you?
Unfortunately no. After doing the steps I provided, it ended up my data STILL wasnt working...or at least it wasnt connecting properly. I was constantly popping from 3g to H, with no actual connection. Did not have time to call for assistance so i dealt with it. After a week or so, data magically started working. I am going to guess they are just stupid slow to fully enable data. Sprint use to be like that a few years ago in my area. Would take at least 2 days for data (and sometimes MMS) to start working fully. If it is STILL not working for you, I would call them, or complain on their Facebook. They will likely respond very quickly.

bstringy, nothing special so far other than the staff is EXCELLENT. Tech support is a PITA, they arent that tech-savvy, and most have heavy latin accents (i think they are based in Cali). But if you deal with their PR people on Facebook, or email directly to their support email (for general questions) they are excellent. I currently have an active email thread going with one of the head PR/Marketing guys. He was happy to see me supporting them (on my Facebook) and wanted more feedback. I also heard there will be chat tech support soon (AWESOME) which is the one thing i was waiting for.

My speeds are much slower than they were on TMO or Sprint, currently getting 6megs down at my apartment and about 7 at my office. I am not entirely sure I am actually connecting to 4G, tho. I am usually home on my WIFI (60meg) so I dont often use the mobile data for much of anything.

(sorry for late response, even though I told it to, it decided to not notify me that people responded..)
The Following User Says Thank You to faaaaq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

codesplice
Old
(Last edited by codesplice; 8th August 2014 at 02:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 957
Yeah, my data eventually started working - after two threads of email exchanges, four calls to support, and waiting two weeks after initial activation. LTE speeds (for me) were on par with what I get on T-Mobile - 16-20Mbps or so.

I then got throttled after 5GB (and only alerted to that possibility after having used 4.75GB - not much of a threshold there). Nice of them to update their FAQ with their throttling policy a week and a half after I activated under the assumption that "unlimited" actually meant "unlimited" (since a limit wasn't spelled out anywhere, and their support had previously told another user in no uncertain terms Our service is strictly unlimited we do not throttle).

Fun fact: the morning that my data started working, I sent them an email asking if it was possible to disable the voicemail service (since I wanted to use the service with Google Voice). Three days go by; no response. I replied to the autoresponder saying "nevermind, I'd rather just cancel at this point" and got a response less than an hour later - first month and activation fees refunded, and mountains of apologies.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, but my experience was quite disappointing - though, to be fair, I probably expected too much.

Back to my $30 5GB plan on T-Mobile

faaaaq
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Support is currently iffy, I think the company rushed to get itself set up. Once they add in their chat support option I think that will solve any issues with support being crap. First time I called support, to get my phone activated, the guy told me to do something my TMO N5 cannot do... He works tech support exclusively for cellphones and cellphone service, he should have known that... All other correspondence thru email and facebook have been great, tho.

I would go back to my $30 TMO plan, but my mother likes to ramble, as does my father, so 100 minutes doesn't go far..
The Following User Says Thank You to faaaaq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sexymotherfakir
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Fun fact: the morning that my data started working, I sent them an email asking if it was possible to disable the voicemail service (since I wanted to use the service with Google Voice). Three days go by; no response. I replied to the autoresponder saying "nevermind, I'd rather just cancel at this point" and got a response less than an hour later - first month and activation fees refunded, and mountains of apologies.
Does this mean that they don't support conditional call forwarding? I had e-mailed their CS a little bit after they sent out invites and never got a response.

The lack of response on that, the activation fee they were charging, and the fact that there was no way I'd get my SIM in the mail before my billing cycle was up kinda killed my initial interest. But they had sent me an e-mail offering to mail me a SIM and in the e-mail they say no activation fee, so I went ahead and had them mailed me one. That was 11 days ago(I was suppose to get it in 4 days,) it's suppose to be delivered Monday which I only know because they gave FedEx an incorrect address which caused FedEx to call me and ask for the right address which gave me a chance to ask for the tracking information.

But to make a long story short, pretty much the only fault I have with T-Mobile's $30 plan is the lack of conditional call forwarding.

faaaaq
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
My SIM card came fairly quick, but they never informed me of it being sent or gave me a ticket number. The activation fee was waived for all customers, and all new customers do not have to pay one. So far I am not thrilled with the service itself, but all but phone suppotr has been awesome, the price is good for my area for full unlimited (throttled doesnt bother me, I dont do anything that would make me go over 5gigs in a month tother than when im at hoem on WIFI, and if i do go over I can deal with beign throttled), and I do like their music service, altho it is still quite buggy. They are young, I can excuse their issues. I have already gotten minor perks for being patient and somewhat "loyal," so as long as they keep going in the direction they look to be headed, they will be an excellent company.

Also, I work IT currently, and thought about offering to work for them since their phone IT pales in comparison to the service I currently provide my callers haha.

codesplice
Old
Thanks Meter 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexymotherfakir View Post
Does this mean that they don't support conditional call forwarding? I had e-mailed their CS a little bit after they sent out invites and never got a response.
I never got a straight response, but all signs point to no. Google Voice recognizes the number ROK gave me as a T-Mobile Prepaid number, and gave me the message that T-Mobile Prepaid does not support conditional forwarding. I also tried registering the conditional forward both through the Google Voice app, and by manually dialing the function code which would normally enable it.

Sexymotherfakir
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I never got a straight response, but all signs point to no. Google Voice recognizes the number ROK gave me as a T-Mobile Prepaid number, and gave me the message that T-Mobile Prepaid does not support conditional forwarding. I also tried registering the conditional forward both through the Google Voice app, and by manually dialing the function code which would normally enable it.
That's what I was worried about. Generally speaking CCF doesn't work with T-Mobile Prepaid but some MVNOs do have support(PTel and Solavei to name two.) I was hoping Rok would be one that did. My billing cycle is up tomorrow and I'll have used a whole 10 minutes of airtime and less than 4 GB of data so unlimited doesn't matter much to me. That saying I would switch for CCF. I guess I'll be holding off on Rok and doing another $30 month of T-Mobile.