5,599,135 Members 34,889 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Safe Mode

Tip us?

OuncE718
Old
(Last edited by OuncE718; 22nd January 2014 at 02:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 255
Default Safe Mode

For those of you who don't know, Safe Mode is similar to what you find on a Windows computer. If your phone seems to have some sort of Malware, Virus or even an annoying bootloop then you can put the phone in Safe Mode to remove the app that you suspect is causing havoc. Its a great tool for anyone with major software issues.

HOW TO GET INTO SAFE MODE: Press and hold the POWER button then you will see 3 options (technically 5 but who's counting). Press and hold POWER OFF until the Safe Mode option pops up and your phone will reboot in Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode you will see a water mark that indicates that you've successfully done it correctly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390399149677.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2532204Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390399176404.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	2532207Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390399216778.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	2532209
HOW TO GET OUT OF SAFE MODE: Simply POWER DOWN your phone like you normally would and then POWER ON and your good to go.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390399259921.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2532211Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1390399372798.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2532219

sent from my neXus 5
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to OuncE718 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johmama
Old
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
Hey, this is very interesting. As Nexus users, I trust most of us shouldn't need to use it due to recent nandroid backups we should all be keeping, familiarity with adb we should all have, acute awareness of sketchy looking apps we should all possess, and the end-all fix of factory image installation readily available.

But still, this is interesting. I booted up in to it to experiment. I tried launching Pandora and it worked at first. It got to the splash screen and even a screen after that; one telling me about a new feature of Pandora, but then it force closed after about 3 seconds. I was kind of surprised it even got that far. I wonder how far, programmatically, it got. That feature screen I saw might have been downloaded prior to me booting up into Safe Mode, was cached, and meant to be seen the next time I launched the app. Either way, it was interesting. I also noticed all non-system apps were removed from the app drawer. The only way I could launch Pandora is because it left the icon on the tray at the bottom of my home screen. I find that interesting because it was programmed to remove the icons from the app drawer, but not from the home screen? Also: its claim of all third-party apps being disabled is technically incorrect. It just disables all non-system apps. I have SuperSU, Cerberus, and AOSP browser installed as system apps and they are intact in Safe Mode. Under normal circumstances, I suppose the claim could hold some substance. Although, with carriers and their bloatware apps, the term "third-party" kinda gets skewed...

Anyway, whoa. Back to the original post. Nice find, OP. It's pretty cool that Android has such a state.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johmama For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

OuncE718
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johmama View Post
Hey, this is very interesting. As Nexus users, I trust most of us shouldn't need to use it due to recent nandroid backups we should all be keeping, familiarity with adb we should all have, acute awareness of sketchy looking apps we should all possess, and the end-all fix of factory image installation readily available.

But still, this is interesting. I booted up in to it to experiment. I tried launching Pandora and it worked at first. It got to the splash screen and even a screen after that; one telling me about a new feature of Pandora, but then it force closed after about 3 seconds. I was kind of surprised it even got that far. I wonder how far, programmatically, it got. That feature screen I saw might have been downloaded prior to me booting up into Safe Mode, was cached, and meant to be seen the next time I launched the app. Either way, it was interesting. I also noticed all non-system apps were removed from the app drawer. The only way I could launch Pandora is because it left the icon on the tray at the bottom of my home screen. I find that interesting because it was programmed to remove the icons from the app drawer, but not from the home screen? Also: its claim of all third-party apps being disabled is technically incorrect. It just disables all non-system apps. I have SuperSU, Cerberus, and AOSP browser installed as system apps and they are intact in Safe Mode. Under normal circumstances, I suppose the claim could hold some substance. Although, with carriers and their bloatware apps, the term "third-party" kinda gets skewed...

Anyway, whoa. Back to the original post. Nice find, OP. It's pretty cool that Android has such a state.
Yeah, the SAFE MODE feature should only work for SYSTEM APPS and not 3rd party ones. Its a great feature for anyone having bootloops with apps such as SETCPU (if you mess with the minimum CPU speed and you run into constant bootloop).

I'm glad I could contribute my find with others in this community.

sent from my neXus 5

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7431
I've learned something today, thanks

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2640
I'd heard of Safe Mode but never knew how to get into it. Thanks a lot!
Google Nexus 5 (LG-D821) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.2 (KOT49H) | Bootloader: HHZ11d | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: M8974A-1.0.25.0.23 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!!

RoyJ
Old
Thanks Meter 871
I Knew about this since my Droid X. Never had to use it though. Thanks for sharing.
*Click for device info

ROM: All of them at least once
KERNEL: Bricked Stable
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.3.6.4
Other Devices: Galaxy Nexus

OuncE718
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
I've learned something today, thanks

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
I'd heard of Safe Mode but never knew how to get into it. Thanks a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ View Post
I Knew about this since my Droid X. Never had to use it though. Thanks for sharing.
You all are very welcome. Remember each one teach one!

sent from my neXus 5

ldubs
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Cool I had heard about this also but didn't know how to get into it... Thanks!

sent from my hammerhead

Insert witty, pithy, androidy statement here

varuntis1993
Old
(Last edited by varuntis1993; 24th January 2014 at 05:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 36
Default new way

This trick I knew from before but day before yesterday I found a new one....here it is
so just power off you device and then power it on, then let the google logo go and after the boot animation starts just keep pressing the volume down button until u get back to the lock screen and there it is.