Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,106 Members 40,715 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Share your N5 Performance tips!

Tip us?

crayonhead
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
but why go through the trouble of taking it apart for thermal paste? first off, heat does not hurt the phone. i like getting my phone hot, that means its working. and if it gets too hot, thermal shutdown. and personally, i keep thermal throttle disabled at all times. that means no thermal throttle when it warms up(the same that you are trying to achieve with thermal paste, but without the headache).
Honestly? Just for ****s and giggles. I know I could do that, but learning to take apart a phone and put it back together is more rewarding for me.

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21062
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayonhead View Post
Honestly? Just for ****s and giggles. I know I could do that, but learning to take apart a phone and put it back together is more rewarding for me.
cool.
me, i just like phone to be the fastest around, whichever phone i have at the time. and they all are
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

howard bamber
Old
Thanks Meter 173
I was hoping for a page with a wide range of build tips, kernels, but it seems based on one with an obsession with boot times. It you use an app which makes only 3~4 things boot it will be fast. Grt. I'm using Bigxies stock 4.4,with Elementalx latest kernel. Fast? Yes how can a nexus 5 be slow? It's fluid which is a must. No spinning wheels waiting to load. Whether you like it or not stock kk is now a great ROM. When we were stuck with ICS and b4 there was a need for custom roms. All kk needs is debloating and things like GPU updates. Kernels are another thing. That's where real improvements can be made. If you are still obsessed with benchmarks, etc Elementalx with its set and forget attitude won't be for you but I love it as it's fast, stable and needs no babysitting

#64268gkyJL#8653%dhjGUKVS357.
The Following User Says Thank You to howard bamber For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

galaxys
Old
Thanks Meter 540
For me, Speed thrills!
LGNexus5(art+purity+codeblue+twrp) & LGGPad8.3(gpe)<LGNexus4sold <HTCSensationsold <HTCNexus1sold <HTCHermessold <LG5250sold <MotorolaStarTacvault.
The XDA Cheerleaders hope your devices are winners! Happy Flashing!

Galaxys Enterprises: Fashion is a Passion - Life in the Cardio Fast Lane - High Energy EDM Mix - Travel is a Universal High!

crayonhead
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard bamber View Post
I was hoping for a page with a wide range of build tips, kernels, but it seems based on one with an obsession with boot times. It you use an app which makes only 3~4 things boot it will be fast. Grt. I'm using Bigxies stock 4.4,with Elementalx latest kernel. Fast? Yes how can a nexus 5 be slow? It's fluid which is a must. No spinning wheels waiting to load. Whether you like it or not stock kk is now a great ROM. When we were stuck with ICS and b4 there was a need for custom roms. All kk needs is debloating and things like GPU updates. Kernels are another thing. That's where real improvements can be made. If you are still obsessed with benchmarks, etc Elementalx with its set and forget attitude won't be for you but I love it as it's fast, stable and needs no babysitting

Decided to leave my nexus 5 alone and focus on my Galaxy Skyrocket (Fried Radio, JB) for performance improvements.

The only thing I changed was Franco kernal to ElementalX. As you said, stock KK is a large improvement over ICS, which I agree (Galaxy Tab 7 with ICS here. Painful.). I've also checked, and it's more of a toss up of what you want more, performance or battery life. i ended up choosing battery life instead for my nexus 5. I forget to throw it on a charger more often than not. After going back to my Galaxy Skyrocket for a day, I've realized that I'm much happier as long as the performance is past that 'noticeable lag" barrier.
Nexus 5 - Rooted, ElementalX 1.00, Stock, Xposed
Galaxy S2 Skyrocket - Rooted, Paranoid Android 4.44
Samsung Galaxy Tab P1010 - Hard Bricked

der_sascha
Old
Thanks Meter 90
I recommend root device with custom kernel and greenify
And the dalvik and bionic tweaks find in this forum for nexus 5
if you on Paranoid Android custom rom test ART

howard bamber
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
im just curious, do you know what the build.prop lines that youre using do?
I'd say that's a no

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21062
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard bamber View Post
I'd say that's a no

yea, thats the problem. people should know what they post generally. if they dont know what it does, they shouldnt post it.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22

Vortex1969
Old
Thanks Meter 604
Quote:
ok, i just tested my bootup speed, without any build.prop tweaks, and it booted up in 15 seconds from right before the google logo to booted up. i dont think it makes any difference to me if its 12 seconds or 15 seconds, lol.
@simms22 wow you have been holding out on us I never knew that boot time made my phone faster.[emoji6]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex1969 View Post
@simms22 wow you have been holding out on us I never knew that boot time made my phone faster.[emoji6]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
lol.
and oddly, i reboot my phone multiple times a day, sometimes 10-20 times(when flashing stuff and being experimental), and i never cared about boot times. i did find a benchmark in the play store for boot times. i tried it, lowest i got was 17 seconds, highest was 21 seconds. 20 seconds average to boot up, i can care less about boot times. if it was like 60 seconds, id consider thinking about it.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22

The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]