FORUMS

HTC Delivering Ads Straight to Sense Home

HTC’s 2015 has been a year marked by a desperate search for revenue.The HTC One M9 … more

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Share your N5 Performance tips!

92 posts
Thanks Meter: 33
 
By tadgerloks, Member on 6th April 2014, 04:37 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
18th July 2014, 07:12 PM |#41  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

but why go through the trouble of taking it apart for thermal paste? first off, heat does not hurt the phone. i like getting my phone hot, that means its working. and if it gets too hot, thermal shutdown. and personally, i keep thermal throttle disabled at all times. that means no thermal throttle when it warms up(the same that you are trying to achieve with thermal paste, but without the headache).

Honestly? Just for ****s and giggles. I know I could do that, but learning to take apart a phone and put it back together is more rewarding for me.
 
 
18th July 2014, 07:19 PM |#42  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 25,042
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayonhead

Honestly? Just for ****s and giggles. I know I could do that, but learning to take apart a phone and put it back together is more rewarding for me.

cool.
me, i just like phone to be the fastest around, whichever phone i have at the time. and they all are
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th July 2014, 01:43 PM |#43  
howard bamber's Avatar
Senior Member
Southport
Thanks Meter: 193
 
More
I was hoping for a page with a wide range of build tips, kernels, but it seems based on one with an obsession with boot times. It you use an app which makes only 3~4 things boot it will be fast. Grt. I'm using Bigxies stock 4.4,with Elementalx latest kernel. Fast? Yes how can a nexus 5 be slow? It's fluid which is a must. No spinning wheels waiting to load. Whether you like it or not stock kk is now a great ROM. When we were stuck with ICS and b4 there was a need for custom roms. All kk needs is debloating and things like GPU updates. Kernels are another thing. That's where real improvements can be made. If you are still obsessed with benchmarks, etc Elementalx with its set and forget attitude won't be for you but I love it as it's fast, stable and needs no babysitting

#64268gkyJL#8653%dhjGUKVS357.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howard bamber For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th July 2014, 05:00 PM |#44  
galaxys's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vegas & Cosmos
Thanks Meter: 725
 
More
For me, Speed thrills!
20th July 2014, 07:31 AM |#45  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard bamber

I was hoping for a page with a wide range of build tips, kernels, but it seems based on one with an obsession with boot times. It you use an app which makes only 3~4 things boot it will be fast. Grt. I'm using Bigxies stock 4.4,with Elementalx latest kernel. Fast? Yes how can a nexus 5 be slow? It's fluid which is a must. No spinning wheels waiting to load. Whether you like it or not stock kk is now a great ROM. When we were stuck with ICS and b4 there was a need for custom roms. All kk needs is debloating and things like GPU updates. Kernels are another thing. That's where real improvements can be made. If you are still obsessed with benchmarks, etc Elementalx with its set and forget attitude won't be for you but I love it as it's fast, stable and needs no babysitting

#64268gkyJL#8653%dhjGUKVS357.

Decided to leave my nexus 5 alone and focus on my Galaxy Skyrocket (Fried Radio, JB) for performance improvements.

The only thing I changed was Franco kernal to ElementalX. As you said, stock KK is a large improvement over ICS, which I agree (Galaxy Tab 7 with ICS here. Painful.). I've also checked, and it's more of a toss up of what you want more, performance or battery life. i ended up choosing battery life instead for my nexus 5. I forget to throw it on a charger more often than not. After going back to my Galaxy Skyrocket for a day, I've realized that I'm much happier as long as the performance is past that 'noticeable lag" barrier.
24th July 2014, 09:46 AM |#46  
der_sascha's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 128
 
More
I recommend root device with custom kernel and greenify
And the dalvik and bionic tweaks find in this forum for nexus 5
if you on Paranoid Android custom rom test ART
24th July 2014, 06:10 PM |#47  
howard bamber's Avatar
Senior Member
Southport
Thanks Meter: 193
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

im just curious, do you know what the build.prop lines that youre using do?

I'd say that's a no

#64268gkyJL#8653%dhjGUKVS357.
24th July 2014, 06:17 PM |#48  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 25,042
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard bamber

I'd say that's a no

#64268gkyJL#8653%dhjGUKVS357.

yea, thats the problem. people should know what they post generally. if they dont know what it does, they shouldnt post it.
24th July 2014, 07:40 PM |#49  
Vortex1969's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8,308
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

ok, i just tested my bootup speed, without any build.prop tweaks, and it booted up in 15 seconds from right before the google logo to booted up. i dont think it makes any difference to me if its 12 seconds or 15 seconds, lol.

@simms22 wow you have been holding out on us I never knew that boot time made my phone faster.[emoji6]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
24th July 2014, 07:45 PM |#50  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 25,042
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex1969

@simms22 wow you have been holding out on us I never knew that boot time made my phone faster.[emoji6]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lol.
and oddly, i reboot my phone multiple times a day, sometimes 10-20 times(when flashing stuff and being experimental), and i never cared about boot times. i did find a benchmark in the play store for boot times. i tried it, lowest i got was 17 seconds, highest was 21 seconds. 20 seconds average to boot up, i can care less about boot times. if it was like 60 seconds, id consider thinking about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes