Google Play Newsstand 3.3 Brings Material Design Makeover

In a clear break from the previous practice of delivering nearly weekly Google … more

App Review: Calculating Your Android Calculator Options

Sure, everyone has a default Calculator and its something that you dont think about … more

MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

There is a slight difference between Carrier and GPlay Nexus 5

3rd March 2014, 02:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 323

1,283 posts
More
First lets start by saying THERE are NO HARDWARE DIFFERENCE'S Just the matter of your carrier accepting the device

*Disclaimer : This information may change in the future and I'm not aware of any other CDMA carrier that does this in the UNITED States besides Sprint (If you do post and let us know). Most of the world is on GSM anyway right so this doesn't even matter to you

The Google Play Version allows you to go to Sprint and T-mobile

The T-Mobile Version or Carrier version will only work on other GSM Carriers while the Google play version allows you to go CDMA and GSM

Both of the Carrier and Google versions sold have the same internals and same everything else its just the matter of your carrier accepting it

If you're going to be using it for GSM only the carrier version is fine, however if you would like to use Sprint one day you would need the Google Play one or buy one from Sprint Themselves

Overall From Carrier and or Google Play Hardware/Software is the same its just the matter of your carrier accepting it

Another Difference is that Carrier purchased Nexus 5 GOOGLE WILL NOT RMA only LG can with their Limited 1 year warranty
THE RMA Process is Only available from Google If the device was purchased from them

So for best warranty service try to purchase from Google Play

So Mark...? How do I know this is true and not one of your BUll***** threads again?
Simple Try going to ting and or any BYOD Sprint MVNO or Sprint themselves in order for them to activate it the ESN/IEMI must be in their system the google play ordered device will show however the Carrier purchased one Example T-Mobile wont show

It may sound stupid as all Nexus 5's should be unlocked and can be used anywhere. As it should be but it isn't
This is an Error on Sprint's End. This was similar to the iPhone 4s being GSM unlocked however carriers such as Sprint/Verizon Locked it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled23.png
Views:	1466
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	2610318  
Last edited by markdapimp; 3rd March 2014 at 02:31 AM.
3rd March 2014, 07:17 AM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 11,688

22,661 posts
More
I'm not quite sure what this thread is about.

CDMA carriers have to have your ESN in their database for the phone to work on their network. They have all the Google play ESN's and all their own carrier ESN but they don't have other carriers' ESN so you have to ask them to add it. Is that what this is about?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
3rd March 2014, 08:19 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 323

1,283 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

CDMA carriers have to have your ESN in their database for the phone to work on their network. They have all the Google play ESN's and all their own carrier ESN but they don't have other carriers' ESN so you have to ask them to add it. Is that what this is about?

Yep, you can go Sprint to T-Mobile but you cant go to T-Mobile to Sprint
3rd March 2014, 08:43 AM   |  #4  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 11,688

22,661 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp

Yep, you can go Sprint to T-Mobile but you cant go to T-Mobile to Sprint

Do they refuse to add the ESN when you call them up?
6th March 2014, 02:11 PM   |  #5  
Flag Saint Louis
Thanks Meter: 194

798 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

I am confused as well.
6th March 2014, 02:48 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 709

1,392 posts
More
Sprint seems pretty horrific with dealing in ESN's anyways. 6 support calls and a friend of mine could still not activate my old e4gt. They knew it wasn't blacklisted for stolen or funds due. They knew the exact date the phone was last activated but it wasn't until I told him to tell them the old number that they are like oh that hasn't been released from the line (which no longer exists). You would think you would get a clear and concise message trying to activate a device that is attached to another account not cryptic errors people are asking if they have ever seen before. One support staff actually asked him "are you sure its a sprint phone".

We already know AT&T doesn't exactly deal as well with the N5 as we would like to.
6th March 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 7,625

10,708 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMotorsports

We already know AT&T doesn't exactly deal as well with the N5 as we would like to.

Really?

I bought the play store edition, popped in my sim card and that was it...

Sent from my Nexus 5
6th March 2014, 03:32 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 709

1,392 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost

Really?

I bought the play store edition, popped in my sim card and that was it...

Sent from my Nexus 5

Thats the best way to do it too. You already had service right? Possibly previously owned an LTE device? But its been encountered many a time they won't provision the account with LTE if the device ESN isn't in the system. But if you have an AT&T device available to activate on its no big deal. Already have service even better. Not an issue for say ST Byod or something.
6th March 2014, 04:34 PM   |  #9  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 409

846 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahseller

I am confused as well.

Here is what I understand

Google version=bought from google play

T-Mobile version=bought from tmobile

Hardware wise, they are exactly the same.

However, sprint only has the ESN of the Google version (and their sprint version)

When op tries to activate the tmobile version on sprint, sprint (or ting) was unable to verify the ESN and refused.

Gsm providers are fine because you just pop the Sim in and it'll work (baring other stuff like imei blocking or att not allowing your Sim card to access LTE but allow 3g)
6th March 2014, 04:58 PM   |  #10  
Flag Saint Louis
Thanks Meter: 194

798 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperWastage

Here is what I understand

Google version=bought from google play

T-Mobile version=bought from tmobile

Hardware wise, they are exactly the same.

However, sprint only has the ESN of the Google version (and their sprint version)

When op tries to activate the tmobile version on sprint, sprint (or ting) was unable to verify the ESN and refused.

Gsm providers are fine because you just pop the Sim in and it'll work (baring other stuff like imei blocking or att not allowing your Sim card to access LTE but allow 3g)

But couldn't you just obtain that, give to sprint, they enter it, and then call it did?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread