Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,436 Members 45,025 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sprint spark now active in Houston

Tip us?

lilotimz
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon72 View Post
So why do they show the map for coverage lol. And how can you tell? Must be a site that lists it I take it.

Oh and what the heck is this Turbo crap lol
Sprint LTE maps... I laugh at them and you should too. Overstates coverage for everything though it is getting a little bit more accurate with LTE 800 being deployed but it's still a crapshoot. Look at the 1x map and then decrease it a little bit and you'll have the LTE coverage map as PCS LTE is always weaker than 1xRTT 1900.

I, and a very few select others over @ s4gru.com, have access to to a very recent engineering map from clearwire that has what sites are live as part of the Phase 1 TDD-LTE deployment and deployment schedules (& time frames) for some markets.

Some of us have been actually running around Phase 1 sites (Phase 2A {1st half 2014} are just beginning) getting engineering screens. In fact I just went to another one just a 2 hours ago...

[311-490 / 311-870 = TDD-LTE B41, 310-120 = PCS LTE or eSMR LTE]

No one actually is sure what exactly the turbo area is. We assume it's just areas where the actual Band 41 sites got upgraded backhaul to spit out the 50-60 mbps peak speeds. Many sites are still running on old clearwire wimax backhaul which tops at 10-20 mbps per sector.
The Following User Says Thank You to lilotimz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deakelem
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
Sprint LTE maps... I laugh at them and you should too. Overstates coverage for everything though it is getting a little bit more accurate with LTE 800 being deployed but it's still a crapshoot. Look at the 1x map and then decrease it a little bit and you'll have the LTE coverage map as PCS LTE is always weaker than 1xRTT 1900.

I, and a very few select others over @ s4gru.com, have access to to a very recent engineering map from clearwire that has what sites are live as part of the Phase 1 TDD-LTE deployment and deployment schedules (& time frames) for some markets.

Some of us have been actually running around Phase 1 sites (Phase 2A {1st half 2014} are just beginning) getting engineering screens. In fact I just went to another one just a 2 hours ago...

[311-490 / 311-870 = TDD-LTE B41, 310-120 = PCS LTE or eSMR LTE]

No one actually is sure what exactly the turbo area is. We assume it's just areas where the actual Band 41 sites got upgraded backhaul to spit out the 50-60 mbps peak speeds. Many sites are still running on old clearwire wimax backhaul which tops at 10-20 mbps per sector.

Hmmm Interesting.. Thanks for the info I have no clue what turbo is.. Sounds very 80sish haha.

Im convinced that at after hours that cell site would push much more than 70mbps like I got earlier.. All the office buildings nearby including my office cause some congestion.. I just still have a hard time believing 1.9 has that throughput alone

Only site I've found around that has those speeds and not sure it matters but I'm running .15 modem

lilotimz
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakelem View Post
Hmmm Interesting.. Thanks for the info I have no clue what turbo is.. Sounds very 80sish haha.

Im convinced that at after hours that cell site would push much more than 70mbps like I got earlier.. All the office buildings nearby including my office cause some congestion.. I just still have a hard time believing 1.9 has that throughput alone

Only site I've found around that has those speeds and not sure it matters but I'm running .15 modem
Anything over 37.5/12 is B41 TDD-LTE (aka spark) as LTE 800 / 1900 runs 5x5 mhz FDD-LTE and are incapable of going over the aforementioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to lilotimz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deakelem
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
Anything over 37.5/12 is B41 TDD-LTE (aka spark) as LTE 800 / 1900 runs 5x5 mhz FDD-LTE and are incapable of going over the aforementioned.
Tomorrow I'm gonna do some.speedtest after I disable both bands and only use 1.9 I want to see if that has any affect. Also take some pictures of the tower.. Its a tiny tower with only a few panels small panels too doesn't look like it's providing any 3g/CDMA either judging by my weak 3g strength

deakelem
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakelem View Post
Tomorrow I'm gonna do some.speedtest after I disable both bands and only use 1.9 I want to see if that has any affect. Also take some pictures of the tower.. Its a tiny tower with only a few panels small panels too doesn't look like it's providing any 3g/CDMA either judging by my weak 3g strength
I confirmed using the engineering screen that that tower mentioned in the op is putting out 41

My phone was connected to band 41 and pushing 70mbps

timsterzzz
Old
Thanks Meter 35
I just came off a 10 day roadtrip over the southeast, including 4 days in the Tampa market. I tried prl updates with the suggested settings, but never could get Spark like speeds or even connect on band 41. Funny think was that the fastest Sprint speeds I found were at my house in the central Arkansas area. Coverage is really bad here on Sprint, but I live next to a tower getting 32/8 on 1900.

THEGAMEPLAY94
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I have found a way to consistently connect to band 41 lte aka spark. It is risky though. By flashing the .15 radio and enabling all the bands with band 41 as the first priority you can connect much more easily. The downfall is that on sites without an e/CSFB upgrade which tells your phone to fall back to 3g for a call, it won't kick you off lte so you could be unknowingly without service but you'll have LTE data. More can be found on this at s4gru but I thought I'd let you guys know about the .15 baseband.
[Insert funny signature]

MrObvious
Old
Thanks Meter 259
Can someone find which towers are spark active in Wichita Kansas?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

deakelem
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGAMEPLAY94 View Post
I have found a way to consistently connect to band 41 lte aka spark. It is risky though. By flashing the .15 radio and enabling all the bands with band 41 as the first priority you can connect much more easily. The downfall is that on sites without an e/CSFB upgrade which tells your phone to fall back to 3g for a call, it won't kick you off lte so you could be unknowingly without service but you'll have LTE data. More can be found on this at s4gru but I thought I'd let you guys know about the .15 baseband.
This is exactly how I got the 41 band near work. .15 modem with all bands enabled priority 0 0 1.

Fortunately there are less and less towers not ecsfb