5,606,201 Members 33,172 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tethering - Your Carrier Knows and May Charge You

Tip us?

krabman
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Starting in 4.1.2 Android started flagging tethered traffic, a "feature" added at carrier request. These flags are how your carrier knows you're tethering, there is no need to inspect packets. What they do with the information is up to them, charge for data, send warning, stop service, etc. Seems that most simply ignore it if it isn't a lot of data. I tether on AT&T fairly often but it's light use and have yet to hear a word about it from them.

Valdeck
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taubin View Post
A lot of people here don't live in the UK, and don't have the option of paying just 15 for tethering. Most places in the states charge an arm and leg for tethering, and it's usually limited to a few hundred megs.
Unless your talking about prepaid plans like straight talk or something tethering is not hard to find on a plan. T-mobile is referring friendly as is att with a newer share everything plan. Granted they are more costly than something like straight talk but the prices are similar between gsm carriers minus tmobile.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nutpants
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyman7035 View Post
i wished i had unlimited LTE cap! i only get 6gb with tethering allowed on rogers LTE network in toronto,canada, i'd gladly pay 100-150 bucks a month for UNLIMITED LTE, i'd cancell my home internet( which is 45Mb/s unlimited for around 70bucks cdn.
Check out sask tel
They used to have a "no questions asked plan" around 100$, unlimited long-distance north America unlimited internet Canada (they did slow you down after 10 gigs) they dropped the plan but you can build the same deal with their add-ons to a regular plan. Check fine print on the plans for speed limiting as it changes.
Manitoba provincial phone company has some similar plans also. Telus,Rogers, and bell not so much.

frarredo
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
In the us with att I have never had that issue. I Dont think carriers are aware of tethering. But I have used an excess of 3gb through tethering and I did get a warning about being throttled. But I grandfathered into an unlimited so I Dont care about my usage!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

promiseofcake
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by frarredo View Post
I Dont think carriers are aware of tethering.
If only we lived in a world where this were true.

XxKillerKev7xX
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyman7035 View Post
i wished i had unlimited LTE cap! i only get 6gb with tethering allowed on rogers LTE network in toronto,canada, i'd gladly pay 100-150 bucks a month for UNLIMITED LTE, i'd cancell my home internet( which is 45Mb/s unlimited for around 70bucks cdn.
Im in Toronto also who's your internet provider for that package?

frarredo
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by promiseofcake View Post
If only we lived in a world where this were true.
I really Dont think they do. Or else they would have for sure forced me to sign up for a tethering plan.

That or they Dont care... Which I doubt. Haha

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RussianBear
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 268
Refer to this post to find out how to prevent them (T-MO in my case) from knowing (at least for now):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=70

You will need to download some sort of database editor (SQlite).
The Following User Says Thank You to RussianBear For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marcelopg
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianBear View Post
Refer to this post to find out how to prevent them (T-MO in my case) from knowing (at least for now):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=70

You will need to download some sort of database editor (SQlite).
In Brazil no carriers have been charging for it, but they forbid the practice in contract. Just in case, I'm going to do this.

Thank you.

socaltyger
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I was able to do the db edit mentioned to get T-Mobile hotspot to work as well on both my nexus 5 and 4.

For what it's worth, everything was fine with the stock hotspot feature in 4.3 jellybean on my nexus 4. But when the 4.4 KitKat was updated, the T-Mobile redirect started happening. Hopefully the db edit won't get patched.