XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Underwhelmed by Nexus 5

Tip us?

ausaras
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Underwhelmed by Nexus 5

Order Nexus 5 as soon as it came out. I had high hopes for N5 from what I see on the internet. Great hardware spec and rather handsome looking.

My previous android phones were Acer Liquid, HTC Sensation, and HTC One S. I was choosing between blue HTC One and white Nexus 5 to replace my One S. Nexus 5's price and top spec won out.

When I finally held it in my hand, I thought "Ok, it doesn't feel as solid compared to One S but still not bad".

Then I started playing with it. Very smooth and fast, and the screen is gorgeous!

But after a month with it, I have an itching regret about getting it.

First is the speaker...I am no audiophile but damn...N5's speaker is really bad compared to One S. I turned the volume down to the last volume step and it is still pretty loud for me. I even edited framework.jar to increase the volume steps from 7 to 15 but even after this, it still sounded the same at the last volume step. I think the sound range of N5 speaker is very limited or something. One S speaker was able to sound very quiet but still clear.

Second is the battery life...drains very fast compared to One S. This could be due to the Full HD screen of N5 or relatively new KitKat. Another interpretation would be...Google is more honest about reporting the true battery life :P

Third is the LED...I think N5 has the ugliest looking LED on a phone I have seen. It's hard to describe but it is not fully rounded and with some other color mixed in on the peripheral of the LED.

I hope I don't come off as blasting N5 but with N5, I can tolerate it but not love it like my previous phones. Probably the last time I will get a LG built Nexus...from what I gather N4 also had horrible speaker and not so stellar battery life.

But getting a Nexus is about getting the latest Android. I really hope Google will go with someone else for Nexus 6, or I hope HTC's next year flagship will sell well so that there is more developer support.
The Following User Says Thank You to ausaras For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mr_mojorisen
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Bummer. I'm really happy with mine. Well good luck to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_mojorisen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

svengalis
Old
Thanks Meter 21
cant put mine down. really love how it looks and feels. also its super fast with the nova launcher.

ben503
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Battery life is good to me. I'm all stock and not rooted. I will believe you have good battery life once I seen your screenshots from the HTC.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386899622309.jpg
Views:	2988
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	2451579   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386899652074.jpg
Views:	2989
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2451581   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386899673469.jpg
Views:	2982
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2451583  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben503 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mymusicathome
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Coming from a GS4 and never regretted the UPGRADE for a second

Sent from my HammerHead

capathy21
Old
Thanks Meter 49
No reason regretting your purchase. No one is ever stuck with a phone when they have one that is worth some money. Sell the N5 and you will make more than enough to get a HTC ONE or trade someone strait up. It sounds like you are a HTC fan and not really fond of stock android and that is okay.

Have you heard the speakers after the 4.4.2 update? They sound MUCH better to me.
Nexus 5-Black
4.4.2 Rooted
TWRP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to capathy21 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fcng
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Default Legit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaras View Post
Order Nexus 5 as soon as it came out. I had high hopes for N5 from what I see on the internet. Great hardware spec and rather handsome looking.

My previous android phones were Acer Liquid, HTC Sensation, and HTC One S. I was choosing between blue HTC One and white Nexus 5 to replace my One S. Nexus 5's price and top spec won out.

When I finally held it in my hand, I thought "Ok, it doesn't feel as solid compared to One S but still not bad".

Then I started playing with it. Very smooth and fast, and the screen is gorgeous!

But after a month with it, I have an itching regret about getting it.

First is the speaker...I am no audiophile but damn...N5's speaker is really bad compared to One S. I turned the volume down to the last volume step and it is still pretty loud for me. I even edited framework.jar to increase the volume steps from 7 to 15 but even after this, it still sounded the same at the last volume step. I think the sound range of N5 speaker is very limited or something. One S speaker was able to sound very quiet but still clear.

Second is the battery life...drains very fast compared to One S. This could be due to the Full HD screen of N5 or relatively new KitKat. Another interpretation would be...Google is more honest about reporting the true battery life :P

Third is the LED...I think N5 has the ugliest looking LED on a phone I have seen. It's hard to describe but it is not fully rounded and with some other color mixed in on the peripheral of the LED.

I hope I don't come off as blasting N5 but with N5, I can tolerate it but not love it like my previous phones. Probably the last time I will get a LG built Nexus...from what I gather N4 also had horrible speaker and not so stellar battery life.

But getting a Nexus is about getting the latest Android. I really hope Google will go with someone else for Nexus 6, or I hope HTC's next year flagship will sell well so that there is more developer support.
Fair assessment as everyone is different. I think you should stick to HTC if you want excellent hardware. The Nexus program is all about software and how Google perceives what Android should be to the end user (speed, quick updates, no bloatware). There will always be sacrifices (hardware) to achieve the price point Google must accomplish. After the 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 depending when you received your OTA, the volume is quite loud but of course not as loud as the HTC One. The LED is brighter then the N4 version.

Mootarjim
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default I'll trade straight up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcng View Post
Fair assessment as everyone is different. I think you should stick to HTC if you want excellent hardware. The Nexus program is all about software and how Google perceives what Android should be to the end user (speed, quick updates, no bloatware). There will always be sacrifices (hardware) to achieve the price point Google must accomplish. After the 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 depending when you received your OTA, the volume is quite loud but of course not as loud as the HTC One. The LED is brighter then the N4 version.
I have an HTC One (Verizon) that I dropped as soon as the Nexus 5 came out. There's no looking back for me, as I previously had a Nexus 4 and left it for the One. I'm back on T-Mobile, and back with the Nexus line, and I love it. So if you're really looking to dump your N5 and get back to HTC, send me a PM. I'll trade you straight up. My HTC One is Mint.

rayiskon
Old
Thanks Meter 1009
I've owned a few htc and samsung phones, also a galaxy nexus and a nexus 4, and for me the nexus 5 is the best device (looks+performance) i ever owned. Period.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

JamieFL
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I somewhat agree with you. My first N5 had the speaker problem. I returned it and my replacement sounds good now. It is plenty loud, but I would like a little bit better sound quality. Instead of one speaker and one faux speaker, two speakers would have been nice. My battery lasts me all day with even heavy use. By far, the biggest battery hog is the screen. I use Lux for better brightness controls, and Tasker to turn on/off wifi, data, GPS, and other battery thieves automatically. See my screen shot.

As stated by others, having a Nexus is more about the operating system and not the hardware. I use a Nexus for all the custom mods and Roms. You can't have a better device than the latest Nexus for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-04-20-38-48.png
Views:	1829
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	2451699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-12-21-54-12.jpg
Views:	1835
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	2451700  
Propaganda has to be popular to the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.
Adolf Hitler

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Ronald Regan

If you wish to succeed in the world, promise everything, deliver nothing.
Napoleon Bonaparte

The most dangerous man to government is one able to think... Almost inevitably he concludes that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable.
H. Mencken

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe