5,605,311 Members 39,448 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Video] Nexus 5 scratch test

Tip us?

MerkurMan
Old
Thanks Meter 13
The whole screen protector debate is a double edged sword. There are pros and cons to each, and neither is perfect.

1. While you might not scratch the screen, you will wear away the oleophobic coating on the glass. I've rocked a SP on my N4 since day 1, and since it leaves a sizable gap around the edge of the screen, I can see where the coating is now missing on that unprotected part. When I do remove the SP every now and then to replace it, it's amazing to see how easily finger oils stick to the outer edge of the screen and not under the protected section. I can almost feel a lip with my fingernail. You might not notice the difference over time, but I'd rather maintain that coating, and should I wish to go naked one day or one week (which I often do), it looks and feels like a brand new device. I also don't baby my phone, keeping it in my pocket all day at work in a manufacturing shop with a lot of dust and debris in the air, and where I'm constantly moving.

2. Sure, the SP wears out quicker than the coating does, but they're replaceable. I rocked my Gnex naked for a year and it has a myriad of small scratches and one or two deeper ones that are noticeable with the screen on. Wish I'd protected it, but the curved screen just made dry SPs look ridiculous, and I don't use wet ones.

3. Sapphire screens may not ever come to fruition, and if they do, there will be additional drawbacks. Sapphire is extremely hard and resistant to scratches, but it's also very brittle and susceptible to shattering. It works for watch crystals and iPhone home buttons, because they're relatively small and can be made extremely thick. But a phone display is much larger and thinner, and I don't know how manufacturers will overcome that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerkurMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Carbajal3009
Old
Thanks Meter 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuMMoD View Post
But will it blend?
Lol we have to see a blend test op!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

hmanxx
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Well I owned nexus one ,nexus s, galaxy nexus , nexus 4 and now nexus 5 .all without screen protector. I never get into problem of screen scratches . my phone is always in a sleeve while keeping it in my pant .

Typically I used the phone for close to a year till next nexus phone come out..

I have a tailored made leather pocket that I used since galaxy nexus which fit for nexus 4 and nexus 5 .. that could be the reason of phone not subjected to scratches by sands or similar objects

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

edved
Old
(Last edited by edved; 30th November 2013 at 11:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Well the video is cool and all, but I gotta say the white Nexus 5 screen so far isn't very resilient when it comes to screen durability.

I've owned numerous phones including the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and now Nexus 5. All except for the 5 have held up really well.

I've got tons of micro-scratches and until now I haven't seen the need for a screen protector, but I think it's too late!

I gotta say the 5 is horrible! WTF! I thought it had Gorilla Glass 3. Gorilla 3 has gone soft

I've owned the phone for less than 2 weeks and it's got more micro scratches on it then my Nexus 4 did when I sold after 6 months of usage.

I must add that I love the phone and it is head and shoulders above the Nexus 4 which is anemic in comparison! No regrets!
edved

TheLastSidekick
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1680

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by edved View Post
Well the video is cool and all, but I gotta say the white Nexus 5 screen so far isn't very resilient when it comes to screen durability.

I've owned numerous phones including the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and now Nexus 5. All except for the 5 have held up really well.

I've got tons of micro-scratches and until now I haven't seen the need for a screen protector, but I think it's too late!

I gotta say the 5 is horrible! WTF! I thought it had Gorilla Glass 3. Gorilla 3 has gone soft

I've owned the phone for less than 2 weeks and it's got more micro scratches on it then my Nexus 4 did when I sold after 6 months of usage.
Haha woah what are you doing to the poor phone man? Mine has held up well with out a screen protector and no scratches. Granted I've only had it for almost 3 weeks. While I don't think these screens are weak at all, I'm almost positive dropping it face down on concrete will damage it..not going to test that though.

That's why I'm waiting for the Ballistic SGMax case series to come out for the Nexus 5 and it will, eventually.

Proud owner of LG Google Nexus 5.

edved
Old
(Last edited by edved; 30th November 2013 at 11:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
I'm doing the exact same thing I've done with every other phone which is using the thing! Nothing more. Nothing less.

In that respect it's been a huge letdown for sure, but it's head and shoulders above the Nexus 4.[COLOR="Silver"]
edved

Voulterx
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSidekick View Post
Haha woah what are you doing to the poor phone man? Mine has held up well with out a screen protector and no scratches. Granted I've only had it for almost 3 weeks. While I don't think these screens are weak at all, I'm almost positive dropping it face down on concrete will damage it..not going to test that though.

That's why I'm waiting for the Ballistic SGMax case series to come out for the Nexus 5 and it will, eventually.

Nice internet speed man

Badd_blood
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Although sharp objects don't scratch the glass, a simple drop on concrete will.

dmo580
Old
Thanks Meter 515
I use a screen protector because I know over time just 1 grain of sand getting in your pocket isn't impossible. I've had a sh!t ton of phones in my life and each time near the end of life (basically before I want to go out and splurge on a new phone) I take off the screen protector and let it run for a few months. Inevitable, it picks up scratches. My iPhone 5 has scratches after 9 months. It was a work phone so I said screw screen protectors. The NExus 4 I took off the screen protector after Google significantly cut prices over the summer.

My conclusion is that it's not too hard to get your screen scratched over time. However I hate plastic protectors too, so I use the Spigen Glas series. It's solid and it keeps your phone in good shape while feeling good.
LG Nexus 4 | CyanKang based on CM 10.2 Nightlies
Google Nexus 10 | CM 10.2 Nightlies
Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 | CM 10.2 Nightlies
HP TouchPad | CM 9 Nightly 12032012
Nexus S i9020a | CM 10.2 Nightlies
Motorola Milestone | CM 7.2 (16.06.2012)

Battery Testing - Non-BS, Non-Subjective Testing
The Following User Says Thank You to dmo580 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

funky_snowman
Old
Thanks Meter 44
"No scratches" to one person doesn't necessarily mean "no scratches" to another. A lot of people simply won't notice common micro scratches. They are often very hard to see, especially with the screen on. Though, once they catch the light a certain way they are an eye sore.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Nexus 4 16GB
iPhone 4 32GB