Post Reply

You won't be able to swap the G2 battery into the Nexus 5

OP Warrimonk

3rd November 2013, 08:04 PM   |  #1  
Warrimonk's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 112
 
202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Hey fellow XDA'ers

I have seen a few people suggesting the possibility of swapping the LG G2 battery into the Nexus 5, which reminds me of the Atrix HD. You could swap the 1780 battery out of the Atrix HD and throw in the 3300mah battery from the Razr MAXX, almost doubling the battery life. The batteries were almost the same size except for an increased thickness.

Naturally I also dreamed of putting a beefier battery into my (soon to be arriving) Nexus 5, however I come to you now to destroy those dreams.

I pulled up some old FCC battery pictures of the LG G2 battery, model BL-T7, and the Nexus 5 battery, the BL-T9.

As you can see in the attached pictures, there are 2 major issues that will prevent a battery swap from happening:

LG G2 BL-T7

55mm wide
67mm long

Nexus 5 BL-T9

57mm wide
60mm long

The LG G2s battery is 2 millimeters thinner, however it is also 7 millimeters wider. This is a rather large difference, and looking at photo 3, there is no way in hell you are going to get another 7mm of height.

Secondly, the placement of the cable where the battery attaches to the phone is very offset. You would need some sort of extender in order to get the connector to reach, would would be another chore in itself.

LG G2 battery:


Nexus 5 battery:


Nexus 5 with cover removed:


I realize my measurements might not be perfect, but I highly doubt they are more than 1-2mm off.

It really is too bad... because it looked like the N5 has a few mm of thickness to spare.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Warrimonk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd November 2013, 08:06 PM   |  #2  
wideasleep1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 484
 
1,476 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrimonk

Hey fellow XDA'ers

I have seen a few people suggesting the possibility of swapping the LG G2 battery into the Nexus 5, which reminds me of the Atrix HD. You could swap the 1780 battery out of the Atrix HD and throw in the 3300mah battery from the Razr MAXX, almost doubling the battery life. The batteries were almost the same size except for an increased thickness.

Naturally I also dreamed of putting a beefier battery into my (soon to be arriving) Nexus 5, however I come to you now to destroy those dreams.

I pulled up some old FCC battery pictures of the LG G2 battery, model BL-T7, and the Nexus 5 battery, the BL-T9.

As you can see in the attached pictures, there are 2 major issues that will prevent a battery swap from happening:

LG G2 BL-T7

55mm wide
67mm long

Nexus 5 BL-T9

57mm wide
60mm long

The LG G2s battery is 2 millimeters thinner, however it is also 7 millimeters wider. This is a rather large difference, and looking at photo 3, there is no way in hell you are going to get another 7mm of height.

Secondly, the placement of the cable where the battery attaches to the phone is very offset. You would need some sort of extender in order to get the connector to reach, would would be another chore in itself.

LG G2 battery:


Nexus 5 battery:


Nexus 5 with cover removed:


I realize my measurements might not be perfect, but I highly doubt they are more than 1-2mm off.

It really is too bad... because it looked like the N5 has a few mm of thickness to spare.


One word. Okay.. two....Duct Tape!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wideasleep1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd November 2013, 08:12 PM   |  #3  
bleuxeon's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Near COGNAC (FR)
Thanks Meter: 202
 
593 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideasleep1

One word. Okay.. two....Duct Tape!

wich means?
3rd November 2013, 09:25 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
dallas, tx
Thanks Meter: 243
 
1,321 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
These two are whole different phone 2300mah vs 3000mah battery Why would it? God damn ppl In here

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digweed4me For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd November 2013, 09:40 PM   |  #5  
Warrimonk's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 112
 
202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by digweed4me

These two are whole different phone 2300mah vs 3000mah battery Why would it? God damn ppl In here

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Did you not read my entire post? The Razr MAXX battery fit into the Atrix HD. 1780mah vs 3300mah. You say "God damn ppl in here", but you are one of those people. Learn to read next time before you insult people.
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Warrimonk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd November 2013, 09:46 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrimonk

Did you not read my entire post? The Razr MAXX battery fit into the Atrix HD. 1780mah vs 3300mah. You say "God damn ppl in here", but you are one of those people. Learn to read next time before you insult people.

I appreciate you posting this. This will be my first phone in years that doesn't have a removable battery and I'm really worried I won't be able to keep the phone long for that reason. I was wondering if there were any options to improve the battery (physically) and you eliminated one possibility.
3rd November 2013, 09:47 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
dallas, tx
Thanks Meter: 243
 
1,321 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrimonk

Did you not read my entire post? The Razr MAXX battery fit into the Atrix HD. 1780mah vs 3300mah. You say "God damn ppl in here", but you are one of those people. Learn to read next time before you insult people.

Both are non removable battery Why would you think like that?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to digweed4me For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd November 2013, 09:50 PM   |  #8  
1stx2's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 94
 
375 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmobileman

I appreciate you posting this. This will be my first phone in years that doesn't have a removable battery and I'm really worried I won't be able to keep the phone long for that reason. I was wondering if there were any options to improve the battery (physically) and you eliminated one possibility.

This is going to be my first phone without a removable battery also. I think I can get by with something like down below.


I plan on getting one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NF...110_SY165_QL70

Or maybe this. ( its probably to big to carry around everyday tho).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009US...r=8-1&pi=SY200

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by 1stx2; 3rd November 2013 at 09:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1stx2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd November 2013, 09:52 PM   |  #9  
Warrimonk's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 112
 
202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by digweed4me

Both are non removable battery Why would you think like that?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

So were the batteries in my other example and it worked. They kept the battery width and length the same but increased the thickness.

You can still remove a non-removable battery. It just isn't easy enough for the average user to do. I made this post to address the modding community that likes to do hacks such as this.

Look here for proof : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1906371
3rd November 2013, 10:02 PM   |  #10  
princem131's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 63
 
378 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stx2

This is going to be my first phone without a removable battery also. I think I can get by with something like down below.


I plan on getting one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NF...110_SY165_QL70

Or maybe this. ( its probably to big to carry around everyday tho).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009US...r=8-1&pi=SY200

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I have a similar model of the second battery you posted that I use a lot when traveling. Prior to my extended battery on my S3 I used it somewhat regularly. Last forever so nice to keep in my car or bag. Probably be using this more frequently now. Coming from a 4500 mah battery to 2300 its gonna suck having to think about battery again.

A physical hack to mitigate the lack of mah caught my eye

Positive Vibrations
Last edited by princem131; 3rd November 2013 at 10:18 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to princem131 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 5 General by ThreadRank