[Q] Straight Talk vs TMobile vs Ting vs ???

What's the best cheap provider?

• Straight Talk

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • Ting

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

wstout12

Nov 8, 2013
Ting has a lot of support for bringing the Nexus 5 into the network. Surely any XDA-er should be able to activate an N5 (but only the one from Google Play, not from cell phone companies) with the help from on-line Ting support. Still some hurdles, but not enough that I'm not considering an N5 and giving up on my Windows Phone on T-Mobile (everyone keeps calling me in the holiday season and burning through my 100 minutes -- Skype okay to great outgoing, but no real viable incoming option on WP8 - incoming Skype via G-Voice to Skype number to T-Mobile number bad when driving and crashes when trying to answer sometiimes even with good wifi). Prior experience with Ting (Ting support is fantastic) and current experience with daughter's and wife's phone on Ting is very good, with the usual Sprint issues. Ting roams for voice which is important for upstate NY areas.

I have been using a Nexus 5 on Ting for a while now, works very nicely. Another thing I like about Ting is that it will roam on other CDMA carriers for voice and texting. I live in an area that is mainly CDMA so it works nicely for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Get a plan at aiowireless.com. They're owned and operated by AT&T and have great service. I've used them for 2 months now and don't regret switching from T-Mobile. I get way better coverage and LTE nearly everywhere. T-Mobile's LTE is still in infancy and only in a few markets across the USA.

AT&T is trying to buy Leap Communications which owns Cricket. If government regulators allow them to do so, AT&T will be merging Aio with Cricket. Same service, new name. Though Cricket has been viewed as a "cheap and crappy" pay as you go service for many years, if owned and operated by AT&T, I think it'll really boost it's way into competing with the bigger dogs now that it'll have better coverage and service to offer.
    www.lycamobile.us and www.gosmartmobile.com also have better deals, especially for pay-as-you-go users.
    Curious what opinions are...
    What is the best cheap provider?

I see there are some big threads about TMobile, but searching around the net, I see a lot of people who seem to like Straight Talk.
    Anyone use Ting?

Any opinions? Any first hand experiences?

Thanks

I've heard too many complaints about Smart Talk to consider them a first option. They're good for basic AT&T-area coverage I guess, but not very heavy data usage. T-Mobile has less coverage but is much better about data.
    Curious what opinions are...
    What is the best cheap provider?
    Thanks
    One son switched his galaxy nexus from ST ATT to ST TMob in Dec. His coverage (Orlando, FL/UCF) improved and dl speed went from 6 to 11/12MB . In June, I switched him to TMob $30 (100 min) plan. Coverage seems the same, but now he has 5GB high speed data. I keep extra $ in the account in case he needs more minutes but he hasn't yet.
    I moved two Iphones (4s) from ST ATT to GoPhone in July. The other three of us live in a rural south Florida area with decent coverage about 100 feet from our house. We usually get a signal inside the house. Local coverage/signal the same; however, I no longer have to constantly (weekly at times) re-negotiate the data connections and mms just works. (ST never fully supported GSM Iphones. ) I considered aio but went with gophone. ATT installed the sims and made certain everything was working. All I paid for was the first month ($60.+sales tax), no sim or activation fee. Since then, I have gotten refills for $54./month--no tax.
    I have a Nexus 4 and am still on ST ATT. I was waiting on my last 90 day purchase to run out before moving to GoPhone, when they actually became transparent with their data policy. I just purchased another 30 days and a new LTE sim in anticipation that one day, Google will actually make the Nexus 5 available. After I experience LTE through ST, I will decide to stay or go.
    My Orlando area son will take my n4 as he will be on LTE with it. I will get ATT LTE when in covered areas with n5.
    We have no experience with other prepay. We had been Sprint customers for 12 years until we no longer were able to receive a signal in our house (tried TMob with same results). I do thank Sprint for not caring about our situation since it made me consider prepay. The best thing about prepay is you can leave if you don't like it. If you watch forums (howardforums is great for carrier info), you can find out when good deals are available. Last month I picked up TMob micro sim for a buck as I was considering trying them again. As I mentioned, ATT did gophone set up for free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Got 1 question, if you switch to tmo prepaid, would you be able to keep your number? And how long it takes for number transfer?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

You can transfer your number. Typically it takes up to 8 hours for everything to work. It took me 2 weeks to even get texting working. Once it kicked in though, I had no issues sending/receiving texts to and from people. It was a bit frustrating going 2 weeks without texts. I was surprised when I switched to Aio wireless and it only took 2 hours for me to send and receive SMS and MMS.