XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4.2 Kit Kat Radio??? Still Bad?

Tip us?

shotta35
Old
Thanks Meter 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0p8uzz View Post
You're not the only one, quite a lot have noticed it too, myself included. Just no one has provided any solid instructions/links to flash the radio back for those that don't dabble in this sort of stuff on a daily basis.
Not so complicated really.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2514095

Go there and read some.

If you have a custom recovery then download the ZIP file. If you have the normal recovery (meaning you haven't modified your phone at all) then download the IMG file.

KRT16M was the standard 4.4 modem (.17).

So once you have that you have to setup ADB (google it) and then flash the modem to your phone by putting your phone in bootloader mode (google it) and then type:

fastboot flash radio MODEMNAME.img

Make sure you put the file you download in the same folder as fastboot from ADB and you'll be all set.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shotta35 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

richport29
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotta35 View Post
Not so complicated really.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2514095

Go there and read some.

If you have a custom recovery then download the ZIP file. If you have the normal recovery (meaning you haven't modified your phone at all) then download the IMG file.

KRT16M was the standard 4.4 modem (.17).

So once you have that you have to setup ADB (google it) and then flash the modem to your phone by putting your phone in bootloader mode (google it) and then type:

fastboot flash radio MODEMNAME.img

Make sure you put the file you download in the same folder as fastboot from ADB and you'll be all set.
Doesn't work. Looks like the boot loader must be unlocked for the ADB fastboot way to work. I get FAILED (remote: not supported in locked device)
The Following User Says Thank You to richport29 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdawg0024
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by richport29 View Post
Doesn't work. Looks like the boot loader must be unlocked for the ADB fastboot way to work. I get FAILED (remote: not supported in locked device)
This is correct you need to have an unlocked bootloader to Flash the radio.img via the bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your device.
Sent from Beyond

richport29
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg0024 View Post
This is correct you need to have an unlocked bootloader to Flash the radio.img via the bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your device.
Decided to do it. And the result, well worth it. I went with the .15 radio and the improvement over .23 is significant. I went from barely having a LTE connection (1 bar dropping to no connection, 110-115db) to (1-2 bars -100db-105db). Very pleased.

m0biusace
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Its the hardware, not the radio. I've tried the 4.4 and 4.4.2 radio. My Nexus 5 consistently gets 3-6dbm less than my Moto X on LTE.

richport29
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0biusace View Post
Its the hardware, not the radio. I've tried the 4.4 and 4.4.2 radio. My Nexus 5 consistently gets 3-6dbm less than my Moto X on LTE.
Try the .15 modem.

t0p8uzz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0biusace View Post
Not really, my signal was superb before 4.4.1 landed ... going to flash back .15 later

n1oty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Flashed back to .17 radio

I kept 4.4.2, but flashed back to the .17 radio. Using T-Mobile in eastern Mass and the latest radio that came with 4.4.2 switched to HSPA+ in areas that had been solid LTE. Not good. I flashed the radio that I had originally (.17) and which gave me such superb results. Going back to my original radio has resulted in two improvements that I noted in my area. First, my known LTE connection areas are back. The radio doesn't "shift" to HSPA+ from LTE as readily. Second, the .17 radio shows consistently stronger signals from the cell towers when measured in dBm with the Network Signal Info app.

I am curious if anyone has compared the .17 radio performance to the .15 radio performance? I am pleased for now with being back on .17, so do not contemplate loading .15 unless there is consensus that .15 is that much better. Thoughts?

John

t0p8uzz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Unlocked the bootloader and flashed .17 modem back on ... going to see how it compares to .23 and make sure my signal is back to normal over the next few days, if not then i'll flash .15 on and take it from there

Appreciate your help

m0biusace
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by richport29 View Post
Try the .15 modem.
.15 modem doesn't help either.