XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [4.4.2] Nexus 5 stuck on boot

Tip us?

colia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] [4.4.2] Nexus 5 stuck on boot

I'm not sure what info is relevant here so I'll just include everything I can think of.

I was on 4.4 until about 12 hours ago, when I got the update notification for 4.4.2. I am completely stock and have no provider at the moment while I wait for my contract w/verizon to expire. The phone was working fine for the past 11 hours.

My phone was at about 60% and working fine when I tried to install the facebook app. Upon opening the app, the phone went black/unresponsive. I plugged it in and tried to hard reset it-- the google logo would show up but nothing else for 5~10 minutes when I would try to restart the phone. If I pressed the power button down for ~10 seconds, the screen would blink off, but then immediately turn on again to the google logo screen without me pressing the button to turn it back on.

After about 20 minutes of this, I went into bootloader and tried a factory reset. It finished really fast and I clicked the option for reboot. The phone didn't reboot, though, and was frozen.

I hard rebooted and was able to get past the google screen and the 4 colored dots showed for about 10 seconds, and then froze. I hard reset again, and tried wiping the cache. This is the message I am seeing now:

Erasing...

E: Error in /cache/recovery/log
(Read only file system)
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

-- Wiping Cache...
E: Failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)
Formatting /cache...
And it's been like that for half an hour. I don't know if it's actually doing something, the blue completion bar isn't updating and looks frozen.

If you have any advise on how I can restore my phone to working condition, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

Fulbring
Old
Thanks Meter 10
So your on a stock ROM? Seems like you were in a boot loop and then you did something that erased your internal card. (That's what it sounds like anyways) Its not a big issue tho, you can fix it. You have no root what so ever right? If yes. Then just flash a stock ROM through the BOOTLOADER. There is a tutorial for that on the website.

BTW did your Recovery look like this?

Currently Using: Nexus 5 (32GB) [★ Carbon ROM-Nightly★ , ROOTED]

Incoming Devices: Lenovo Thinkpad 8 Tablet!

Retired Devices: Nexus 7 (2013) ,Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Snap, Samsung Galaxy S 4G, Samsung Galaxy Mini, HTC Panache, iPad Mini, iPad 2, Toshiba Thrive

colia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulbring View Post
So your on a stock ROM? Seems like you were in a boot loop and then you did something that erased your internal card. (That's what it sounds like anyways) Its not a big issue tho, you can fix it. You have no root what so ever right? If yes. Then just flash a stock ROM through the BOOTLOADER. There is a tutorial for that on the website.

BTW did your Recovery look like this?
Yes, it looks exactly like that. I will try to flash a stock rom like you said in the morning. Thanks for the reply!

Fulbring
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colia View Post
Yes, it looks exactly like that. I will try to flash a stock rom like you said in the morning. Thanks for the reply!
Cool. So that option that says "Apply update through ADB" side load the stock ROM through that using ADB again and you should be fine!

Retired Devices: Nexus 7 (2013) ,Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Snap, Samsung Galaxy S 4G, Samsung Galaxy Mini, HTC Panache, iPad Mini, iPad 2, Toshiba Thrive

colia
Old
(Last edited by colia; 11th December 2013 at 04:52 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Cool. So that option that says "Apply update through ADB" side load the stock ROM through that using ADB again and you should be fine!
Okay, I'm having some problems. I tried to side load image-hammerhead-krt16m.zip with the command in command prompt:
[adb sideload image-hammerhead-krt16m.zip]

It sent successfully, but I have a lot of error messages on my phone:
http: i.imgur.com/xqZ0K5k.jpg

The important one seems to be
"Failed to set up expected mounts for install; aborting
Installation aborted"

And when I restart and try to boot, it gets to the animated dots and doesn't progress from there. When I go back into recovery, it still says [KOT49H] so I don't think sideloading worked.

Fulbring
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Are you sideloading Android 4.4.2? If yes, then your doing it wrong. You have to load 4.4 on it, you should erase everything first and then do a clean load. I think there are some files that are corrupt preventing from the current sideload from working.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

colia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Are you sideloading Android 4.4.2? If yes, then your doing it wrong. You have to load 4.4 on it, you should erase everything first and then do a clean load. I think there are some files that are corrupt preventing from the current sideload from working.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
No, I'm loading [image-hammerhead-krt16m.zip] which is supposed to be 4.4 that I got from developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead

Synyster06Gates
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
No, I'm loading [image-hammerhead-krt16m.zip] which is supposed to be 4.4 that I got from developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead
Can you boot into fastboot?

If so, follow this guide (make sure drivers are installed)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2513701

It looks to me like in the beginning your cache.img was corrupted, so you could get away with just flashing the cache.img from the above files, but now I would just do the entire thing.
Nexus 5 - AICP
T-Mobile GS3 T999L - Dandroid - GONE
ATT GS3 i-747 - Intergalactic 3.0 - GONE
HTC Inspire 4G - many different ROMs - GONE

dawerdrew
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default i have this problem

Quote:
i am with this problem.... please can u tell me the steps to solve this problem or where i can found the steps to solve this...

thank for ur time