Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,506 Members 40,354 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Enabling SMS in your Car through Bluetooth?

Tip us?

jlrose2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Post Enabling SMS in your Car through Bluetooth?

I know that the Nexus 5 now supports Bluetooth MAP which enables your car system (I have UVO in mine) to read text messages. I can't get this working however and I'm wondering if the Hangouts SMS integration has somethings to do with it. Does anyone have their N5 transmitting text messages to their audio system in their car?

mdandashly
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrose2 View Post
I know that the Nexus 5 now supports Bluetooth MAP which enables your car system (I have UVO in mine) to read text messages. I can't get this working however and I'm wondering if the Hangouts SMS integration has somethings to do with it. Does anyone have their N5 transmitting text messages to their audio system in their car?
My bluetooth car stereo has the same functionality and i've never been able to get it to read texts or even give me a notification that I have a text message. Its unfortunate. I know it works with iPhone. The other troubling thing is that the voice dialer on the car automatically pulls up the old decrepit "Voice Dialer" when I'd prefer to use Google Now. I wish there was a way to make it use Google Now.

ptscon
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I just tested it on my Kenwood DNX unit which is supposed to use MAP but no luck, everything except for SMS works.

Do we know for sure that Nexus 5 has MAP profile enabled?

mdandashly
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
I just tested it on my Kenwood DNX unit which is supposed to use MAP but no luck, everything except for SMS works.

My stereo also uses MAP, but no luck. Are you able to get Google Now instead of voice dialer for voice calling?

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,792

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptscon View Post

I have a DNX and the only phone that has ever worked properly for me has been the atrix

Sent from my Nexus 5

crookdbill
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
I have a DNX and the only phone that has ever worked properly for me has been the atrix

Sent from my Nexus 5
Works perfectly on my Ford focus. Are you sending SMS messages? Or hangouts messages. Might make a difference?

ptscon
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crookdbill View Post
Works perfectly on my Ford focus. Are you sending SMS messages? Or hangouts messages. Might make a difference?
SMS option doesn't enable itself. The deck asks for permission to access phonebook and history but nothing regarding sms.

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,792

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by crookdbill View Post
I have had the dnx for 2 years and used tons of phones with it. The only one that the SMS ever worked on was my atrix2. I didn't check with my iPhone 5s, but maybe I will later tonight. So it doesn't matter what app it was doing the text messaging. I think its just a problem with the dnx and most devices.

I never said it didn't work at all for any device with any car.

Sent from my Nexus 5

ptscon
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Just updated my DNX7190 with latest bluetooth firmware from couple of weeks ago. Still no luck, SMS icon is greyed out. I'm guessing these Kenwood units do not fully support MAP.

bhulku123
Old
Thanks Meter 0
SMS+CAR App from market works great, I have tried on Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5 without any problem, It can read SMS, Whatsapp, Gmail, voicemail or can auto reply your pre configured message. Hope this helps