Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

4.4.3 Released, I'm on a 4.4.2 ROM. (Noob Question)

OP VaccaThreeSixteen

15th June 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #11  
Dawnut's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Burgas
Thanks Meter: 6
 
29 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVickers

Thinking about it now it sounds a little better. Use TiBu to backup my apps and make a backup of my internal storage on my computer to drag and drop back later. This wouldn't break root or re-lock bootloader will it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

No, when done flashing the rom, if the rom comes rooted, I recommend installing SuperSU from the play store. It is a standart root app and pretty good one too. Otherwise, it won't affect neither your root or bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
15th June 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #12  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,446
 
4,235 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVickers

Thinking about it now it sounds a little better. Use TiBu to backup my apps and make a backup of my internal storage on my computer to drag and drop back later. This wouldn't break root or re-lock bootloader will it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

No Sir, it won't!

Edit: Ugh.. Getting ninja'd a lot of times recently
VaccaThreeSixteen
15th June 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #13  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

Factoring reset/data reset from a custom recovery won't touch /sdcard. All your personal files will be fine.



Why do you want to lengthen the process?? Wipe, format system, flash PA, gapps. Done!

oh, really? Awesome! What do you mean by format system? I've never came across this. Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
15th June 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #14  
Dawnut's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Burgas
Thanks Meter: 6
 
29 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVickers

oh, really? Awesome! What do you mean by format system? I've never came across this. Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Boot into recovery > Wipe > Format system. The path should be something like this. It wipes EVERYTHING, including internal storage. So backup!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
15th June 2014, 04:00 PM   |  #15  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,446
 
4,235 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVickers

oh, really? Awesome! What do you mean by format system? I've never came across this. Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you're using Philz, Go to mounts and storage and format system from there. It won't wipe your sdcard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnut

Boot into recovery > Wipe > Format system. The path should be something like this. It wipes EVERYTHING, including internal storage. So backup!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Formatting /system doesn't wipe internal storage. It just formats the /system partition.
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2014, 04:03 PM   |  #16  
Dawnut's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Burgas
Thanks Meter: 6
 
29 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

Formatting /system doesn't wipe internal storage. It just formats the /system partition.


Um, sorry about that, got a little carried away [emoji28] Thanks for noticing.
15th June 2014, 04:07 PM   |  #17  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,446
 
4,235 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnut

Um, sorry about that, got a little carried away [emoji28] Thanks for noticing.

Hah, happens! I see everybody's loving the new SwiftKey app! 👻

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #18  
Dawnut's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Burgas
Thanks Meter: 6
 
29 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

Hah, happens! I see everybody's loving the new SwiftKey app! 👻

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

I am using the integrated swype thing in the AOSP keyboard, but guess it's the same
15th June 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #19  
Beamer9408's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 172
 
929 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
The PA zip will actually format /system before it install the new ROM over your system. I'm old school and still format system manually through recovery but if you don't know where that is in the recovery version I wouldn't sweat it. If you have problems after boot you may need to go in and figure out how to do it yourself but like I said most ROMs on the forum format /system before installing new system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
15th June 2014, 06:33 PM   |  #20  
Pirateghost's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 8,061
 
10,991 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer9408

The PA zip will actually format /system before it install the new ROM over your system. I'm old school and still format system manually through recovery but if you don't know where that is in the recovery version I wouldn't sweat it. If you have problems after boot you may need to go in and figure out how to do it yourself but like I said most ROMs on the forum format /system before installing new system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes it formats system but if there is anything in addon.d directory it will bring over some undesirables at times. Best to manually wipe system to keep it clean.

#stayparanoid

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes