Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,827 Members 53,357 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4.3 Update

Tip us?

HerrJuancho
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Question [Q] 4.4.3 Update

Hello everybody.

First of all, I'm not sure whether this is the place to post this kind of questions. My apologies in advance. Here is my problem.

I rooted my nexus 5 nearly after a month of having bought it using the nexus root toolkit. Today I received the 4.4.3 OTA, and somewhere I read that it would fail most likely. I also read read that I should set survival mode in SuperSU (a pro option) in order to retain root access, which I couldn't. I tried to update via the OTA thinking it would fail, and it worked, only that I lost my root access.

Is there an easy way to regain root access? I don't want to wipe and re-install everything. There are only a few apps I use that need root access, however it would be nice to have them back, nevertheless.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Now I am able to record video hassle-free, no more static noise in the background
Phones:
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc (LT15i): Vengeance 1.32 | Viper Xperia 4.5 | Unlocked Bootloader | Smartwatch | BB 72
Samsung Galaxy 5 (GT-I5500): CM 7.1
Other devices:
iPod Touch 3rd Gen: Jailbroken
NDSi with M3i Zero adapter and 4 gb microSD

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrJuancho View Post
Hello everybody.

First of all, I'm not sure whether this is the place to post this kind of questions. My apologies in advance. Here is my problem.

I rooted my nexus 5 nearly after a month of having bought it using the nexus root toolkit. Today I received the 4.4.3 OTA, and somewhere I read that it would fail most likely. I also read read that I should set survival mode in SuperSU (a pro option) in order to retain root access, which I couldn't. I tried to update via the OTA thinking it would fail, and it worked, only that I lost my root access.

Is there an easy way to regain root access? I don't want to wipe and re-install everything. There are only a few apps I use that need root access, however it would be nice to have them back, nevertheless.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Now I am able to record video hassle-free, no more static noise in the background
So dump SuperSU zip on the phone (link in sig), and flash it with recovery.

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: jajb

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerowinder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HerrJuancho
Old
(Last edited by HerrJuancho; 6th June 2014 at 01:40 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder View Post
So dump SuperSU zip on the phone (link in sig), and flash it with recovery.
Thanks for your reply. I have already SuperSU on my phone, but when I press it it says there are some binaries missing. Busybox doesn't update the binaries since it has no root access and says the device might be improperly rooted. My recovery is TWRP, so I can actully flash root files or such.

Edit: I just tried to boot into recovery and it didn't work quite well. There is a fallen android guy with a red triangle. So I don't have recovery either it seems.
Phones:
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc (LT15i): Vengeance 1.32 | Viper Xperia 4.5 | Unlocked Bootloader | Smartwatch | BB 72
Other devices:

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrJuancho View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have already SuperSU on my phone, but when I press it it says there are some binaries missing. Busybox doesn't update the binaries since it has no root access and says the device might be improperly rooted. My recovery is TWRP, so I can actully flash root files or such.

Edit: I just tried to boot into recovery and it didn't work quite well. There is a fallen android guy with a red triangle. So I don't have recovery either it seems.
Download TWRP 2.7.1.0 from here: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/hammerhead

Reboot to bootloader, fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Flash SuperSU with TWRP.

If you do not understand these instructions, I highly suggest reading this sticky: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...oader-t2507905

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: jajb

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerowinder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HerrJuancho
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder View Post
Download TWRP 2.7.1.0 from here: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/hammerhead

Reboot to bootloader, fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Flash SuperSU with TWRP.

If you do not understand these instructions, I highly suggest reading this sticky: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...oader-t2507905
Thanks for the help. I'll try that as soon as I can.
Phones:
Other devices: