XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why 4:3 photos?

Tip us?

orthonovum
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default Why 4:3 photos?

Why does the camera show a full screen image....but when you take the picture its 4:3? Is there a setting somewhere to make it do 16:9 photos? On my other android phones I don't see black bars on the left and right of the photos I take

samomamo
Old
Thanks Meter 223
I would like to know too

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda premium

maxal
Old
Thanks Meter 136
+1
Asus Vivotab tf810c Windows 8.1.1
HTC One unlocked+rooted+S-Off 4.4.2
Nexus 5 unlocked+rooted 4.4.2

kaizeru
Old
Thanks Meter 0
maybe we can make a petition to google or awesome devs here to make us a hack to switch to 16:9 ?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7409
16:9 would be great.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Archie411
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthonovum View Post
Why does the camera show a full screen image....but when you take the picture its 4:3? Is there a setting somewhere to make it do 16:9 photos? On my other android phones I don't see black bars on the left and right of the photos I take
The camera viewfinder actually crops the image.

I don't think its possible to switch to a 16:9 ratio with the default app.

connect(dot)dpreview.com/post/2158701905/google-nexus-nexus5-smartphone-camera-review?page=3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N5_zps7e4c34e2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	2441077  

matteventu
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthonovum View Post
Because at Google developers are idiots.

Why is the photo preview 16:9 and the photo 4:3? Why has they put the sh!tty Chromium webview instead of the super-smooth and Flash-supporting AOSP webview? Why doesn't the phone record 60fps or 4K videos? Why has they integrated SMS in Hangouts in two separated threads? Why are there both Gallery and G+ Photos apps? Why is the Gallery icon so so so damn ugly? Why does the new Maps app lag so terribly also on a S800/2GB phone?

I do not think that such problems are so difficult to solve for a company like Google. If they want to solve them.
Excuseme for my poor english
HTC Polaris - Galaxy Ace Plus - HTC Desire - Acer Liquid MT - Nexus S - Galaxy Ace 2 - Moto G - Xperia T - Galaxy Nexus - Nexus 5