Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Not able to connect to data network

OP kahdusa

8th January 2014, 01:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I bought a Nexus 5 from the US and am using it in India on a vodafone carrier. 2g calls work fine.
3g data does not. When i turn data on, it turns to H - > 3g -> and no signal and the cycle continues. I have tried replacing the sim twice to no avail. Is this a modem problem ? Should I flash to a different one ?
8th January 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 590

3,105 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahdusa

I bought a Nexus 5 from the US and am using it in India on a vodafone carrier. 2g calls work fine.
3g data does not. When i turn data on, it turns to H - > 3g -> and no signal and the cycle continues. I have tried replacing the sim twice to no avail. Is this a modem problem ? Should I flash to a different one ?

Hmm. Sounds strange. You running any custom software? Have Preferred Network Type on the best selection for your network? Have the correct APNs? Those are usually the main culprits of issues like this.
8th January 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #3  
Flag Droid
Thanks Meter: 218

888 posts
More
My nexus kept changing between H and 3g and I couldn't figure out why. Eventually the reason behind it was my preferred network type got changed to 3g instead of LTE. So I would check that first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda premium
8th January 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #4  
NYC & Germany
Thanks Meter: 455

1,570 posts
More
So the radio is crashing?

How about doing a *#*#4636#*#* and then selecting menu (3 dots) and do radio selection and then choose EURO frequencies and see if that helps?
10th January 2014, 04:23 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Thumbs up
Looks like I might have a solution for this, which I will try later in the day. This is definitely an issue with the carrier and not with the phone itself. The carriers themselves do not support the phone, hence you would need to get your sim card activated on a known good phone and then once its activated, use it on the nexus 5. I will confirm this tonight.
10th January 2014, 04:29 AM   |  #6  
Forum Moderator
Flag Roseville, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,588

3,956 posts
More
Quote:

The US version has different radio bands than the international version. That could be why you are having issues.

North America (D820) model:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

Rest of World (D821) model:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8
LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain-N-Panic

My nexus kept changing between H and 3g and I couldn't figure out why. Eventually the reason behind it was my preferred network type got changed to 3g instead of LTE. So I would check that first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda premium

That switching is intended. The phone idles on UMTS and when data is called it switches to HSPA as indicated by the icons. It's not supported in all T-Mobile markets, but it is on mine and presumably yours.
Last edited by El Daddy; 10th January 2014 at 04:38 AM.
10th January 2014, 07:58 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 3

57 posts
Quote:

Looks like I might have a solution for this, which I will try later in the day. This is definitely an issue with the carrier and not with the phone itself. The carriers themselves do not support the phone, hence you would need to get your sim card activated on a known good phone and then once its activated, use it on the nexus 5. I will confirm this tonight.

Please PM me if the issue is resolved.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread