Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,363 Members 48,705 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Not able to connect to data network

Tip us?

kahdusa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Not able to connect to data network

I bought a Nexus 5 from the US and am using it in India on a vodafone carrier. 2g calls work fine.
3g data does not. When i turn data on, it turns to H - > 3g -> and no signal and the cycle continues. I have tried replacing the sim twice to no avail. Is this a modem problem ? Should I flash to a different one ?

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 490

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahdusa View Post
I bought a Nexus 5 from the US and am using it in India on a vodafone carrier. 2g calls work fine.
3g data does not. When i turn data on, it turns to H - > 3g -> and no signal and the cycle continues. I have tried replacing the sim twice to no avail. Is this a modem problem ? Should I flash to a different one ?
Hmm. Sounds strange. You running any custom software? Have Preferred Network Type on the best selection for your network? Have the correct APNs? Those are usually the main culprits of issues like this.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)

Pain-N-Panic
Old
Thanks Meter 196
My nexus kept changing between H and 3g and I couldn't figure out why. Eventually the reason behind it was my preferred network type got changed to 3g instead of LTE. So I would check that first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda premium

shotta35
Old
Thanks Meter 454
So the radio is crashing?

How about doing a *#*#4636#*#* and then selecting menu (3 dots) and do radio selection and then choose EURO frequencies and see if that helps?

kahdusa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Looks like I might have a solution for this, which I will try later in the day. This is definitely an issue with the carrier and not with the phone itself. The carriers themselves do not support the phone, hence you would need to get your sim card activated on a known good phone and then once its activated, use it on the nexus 5. I will confirm this tonight.

El Daddy
Old
(Last edited by El Daddy; 10th January 2014 at 03:38 AM.)
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3768
Quote:
The US version has different radio bands than the international version. That could be why you are having issues.

North America (D820) model:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

Rest of World (D821) model:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8
LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain-N-Panic View Post
My nexus kept changing between H and 3g and I couldn't figure out why. Eventually the reason behind it was my preferred network type got changed to 3g instead of LTE. So I would check that first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda premium
That switching is intended. The phone idles on UMTS and when data is called it switches to HSPA as indicated by the icons. It's not supported in all T-Mobile markets, but it is on mine and presumably yours.

psy_spy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Looks like I might have a solution for this, which I will try later in the day. This is definitely an issue with the carrier and not with the phone itself. The carriers themselves do not support the phone, hence you would need to get your sim card activated on a known good phone and then once its activated, use it on the nexus 5. I will confirm this tonight.
Please PM me if the issue is resolved.