Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Able to recover files from a failed Wipe Cache?

OP Nephilim-Giant

5th May 2014, 04:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

117 posts
Long story short, I was having trouble with my phone and Google called Google Support. They told me to wipe my cache and this would NOT delete any of my personal data on my phone. Thinking Google's tech support knows much more than me, I followed along. (BIG MISTAKE).

I'm wondering if there is anyway I can pull my data (mostly my camera data) and put that on my PC?
I can't access my gallery nor my camera (no external storage available)...
I can't even access any of the folders from my phone. The ONLY thing that I can access is: "Nexus 5\Internal storage\storage\emulated"

Does anybody know how I can either fix my phone? OR most importantly, pull the camera data off my phone? I had photos taken and images saved to my phone.

If anybody could help, that would be absolutely amazing! I'd TRULY appreciate any support!
5th May 2014, 04:44 PM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,972

25,198 posts
More
There is no data in /cache. Data is in /data and wiping cache doesn't affect this.

However a bad wipe of cache commonly seems to break /data but can usually be fixed by using fastboot to flash stock cache.img

If you never unlocked the bootloader though, you will not be able to flash cache.img. all you can do in that case is try to re-wipe cache until you get a successful one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

I've updated this thread with this info

[info] Storage: Nexus 5 Data (info / loss / recovery / prevention)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2534010

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th May 2014, 04:21 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

117 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

There is no data in /cache. Data is in /data and wiping cache doesn't affect this.

However a bad wipe of cache commonly seems to break /data but can usually be fixed by using fastboot to flash stock cache.img

If you never unlocked the bootloader though, you will not be able to flash cache.img. all you can do in that case is try to re-wipe cache until you get a successful one.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

I've updated this thread with this info

[info] Storage: Nexus 5 Data (info / loss / recovery / prevention)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2534010

I honestly can not thank you enough! You are absolutely AMAZING!! My phone was unusable the whole day and no signal!

My camera doesn't pick up the pics on the phone, BUT it's on there! I just transferred all my data to my computer!

Thank you SO SO SO SO SO much! Bless your heart
6th May 2014, 07:53 AM   |  #4  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,972

25,198 posts
More
Awesome!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread