Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,086 Members 54,273 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

adb Nexus tool kit help

Tip us?

x Chowder
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question adb Nexus tool kit help

Night folks
I have an Nexus 5. I'm trying to update the OS to 4.4.4 using NEXUS TOOL KIT (Last released version). But When the tool kit makes its way by cheking my ADB STATUS it gets an error saying I must turn on Debugging opitions and stuff but i've aready done that! and all the other procedures and still I cant get it to work!

My device:
Nexus 5 D821
Ktu84M
Xposed
franco Kernel

Please Guys, if u can help on something. Let me know

x Chowder

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by x Chowder View Post
Night folks
I have an Nexus 5. I'm trying to update the OS to 4.4.4 using NEXUS TOOL KIT (Last released version). But When the tool kit makes its way by cheking my ADB STATUS it gets an error saying I must turn on Debugging opitions and stuff but i've aready done that! and all the other procedures and still I cant get it to work!

My device:
Nexus 5 D821
Ktu84M
Xposed
franco Kernel

Please Guys, if u can help on something. Let me know

x Chowder
As many people will soon comment, toolkits aren't recommended by people on here. Short explanation: they don't teach people the process which keeps people from solving simple issues. Seeing as you're using a custom kernel I would flash the factory image of 4.4.4. There's also a thread currently in the general forum about an auto updater which might help me you out as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsychDrummer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10015
Rooted users should flash a rooted stock zip. It's the easiest and quickest method. Link in my signature under resources section

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

x Chowder
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank u very much guys. So I'm supposed to flash the ROM through recovery. Will my data be wiped?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA mobile app

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10015
Quote:
Thank u very much guys. So I'm supposed to flash the ROM through recovery. Will my data be wiped?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA mobile app
If its the one from my signature under the resources section, its just a rom It doesnt wipe. Flashing zips via recovery doesnt wipe the data unlike flashing factory images. In fact factory images only wipes data if you flash the userdata.img (which happens if you use the flash-all.bat) but if yo just flash system.img and boot.img, it doesnt wipe anything, although rooted users are best using the zip anyway
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

x Chowder
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
If its the one from my signature under the resources section, its just a rom It doesnt wipe. Flashing zips via recovery doesnt wipe the data unlike flashing factory images. In fact factory images only wipes data if you flash the userdata.img (which happens if you use the flash-all.bat) but if yo just flash system.img and boot.img, it doesnt wipe anything, although rooted users are best using the zip anyway
Sorry to ask but, What is ODEX and DEODEX ?? Does it have anything to do w/ AOSP?

Sorry mate but I'm sort of a complete noob

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10015
Quote:
Sorry to ask but, What is ODEX and DEODEX ?? Does it have anything to do w/ AOSP?

Sorry mate but I'm sort of a complete noob
Stock is odexed

When you install an app from play, those apps default settings are stored dalvik-cache however apps that come with a ROM use .odex files instead.

With a deodexed ROM , the apps that come with the ROM also use dalvik-cache.

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beekay201
Old
Thanks Meter 1118
Quote:
Stock is odexed

When you install an app from play, those apps default settings are stored dalvik-cache however apps that come with a ROM use .odex files instead.

With a deodexed ROM , the apps that come with the ROM also use dalvik-cache.

Adding some more info, deodexed ROM's or apps allow for easier theming, with a (questionable or not) small performance loss.
hammerhead/omni-KTU84M/stock#3.4.0/M8974A-2.0.50.1.13
maguro/aosp-KRT16O/custom#3.0.101/XXLJ1
manta/stock-KRT16S/custom#3.4.39
tf201/cm10-NIGHTLY#20120820/stock#2.6.39.4
XDA forum rules here
bug report? logcat and /proc/kmsg, or it "never happened".
How TO Ask questions on the Internet
aosp-maguro READFIRST here (credit: efrant)
aosp-gnex READSECOND here (credit: efrant)

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10015
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekay201 View Post
Adding some more info, deodexed ROM's or apps allow for easier theming, with a (questionable or not) small performance loss.
True. I ALWAYS go for deodexed as it's easier for theming and mods, This excludes xposed however. There may be a small perormance hit being deodexed, but customisation wins out for me.
That said, those wanting stock experience should stick with odexed

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 737
Quote:
True. I ALWAYS go for deodexed as it's easier for theming and mods, This excludes xposed however. There may be a small perormance hit being deodexed, but customisation wins out for me.
That said, those wanting stock experience should stick with odexed
Performance difference is way too slight to notice on the Nexus 5, it's only a bit noticeable on low-end/old devices. Might as well be going for deodexed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.