Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,145 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Advantage of Location battery saving setting?

Tip us?

floepie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 338
Default [Q] Advantage of Location battery saving setting?

As far as I can see, the only advantage to the location battery saving mode is that it deactivates your device's GPS. If that's the only savings, then I tend to just leave it on its high accuracy setting. It's sort of a pain to be reminded of this when flipping on the maps or navigation apps which require GPS. And, I don't have that take over the GPS in rogue fashion. Are there other advantages of the location battery saving mode besides simply deactivating GPS?
XDA needs a "2nd Post Wiki" automatically generated in each thread. Such a thread wiki has proven effective on other sites to cut down on useless thread clutter and questions which have been answered repeatedly. The idea is simple. A community-editable wiki is inserted immediately beneath the OP to address current issues relating to the topic. Most OP/devs don't have the time to continually update their OP to address ongoing issues. Let's let the community do that for them!

tylerdurden83
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie View Post
As far as I can see, the only advantage to the location battery saving mode is that it deactivates your device's GPS. If that's the only savings, then I tend to just leave it on its high accuracy setting. It's sort of a pain to be reminded of this when flipping on the maps or navigation apps which require GPS. And, I don't have that take over the GPS in rogue fashion. Are there other advantages of the location battery saving mode besides simply deactivating GPS?
Not that I know of. But GPS is a nasty battery drain depending on how many apps will do background requests of where you are (NlpWakeLock), which will go though the GPS if you have it set on high accuracy. It also kinda depends on how fast your gps can locate you, so if you are near a window it will consume less. Overall, I'd discourage you to leave it on, and if you really cant stand to turn it on when you need it, buy Tasker and make profiles to auto turn it on when needed

floepie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden83 View Post
Not that I know of. But GPS is a nasty battery drain depending on how many apps will do background requests of where you are (NlpWakeLock), which will go though the GPS if you have it set on high accuracy. It also kinda depends on how fast your gps can locate you, so if you are near a window it will consume less. Overall, I'd discourage you to leave it on, and if you really cant stand to turn it on when you need it, buy Tasker and make profiles to auto turn it on when needed
I don't know if that's accurate. That is, when the device has a wakelock and it has to do with those location nlp wakelocks, I don't believe the GPS is activated. GPS is only on when you see the icon in the notification bar as far as I'm aware. For instance, if I select "device only" or turn location completely off, I don't see the nlp wakelocks. I can only best guess that those background location services from Google only use your cell tower proximity to approximate location. In my experience, I don't detect any difference whatsoever between "high accuracy" and "battery saving" mode other than the nuisance of having to flip on GPS for maps, navigation, etc. when in battery saving mode.
XDA needs a "2nd Post Wiki" automatically generated in each thread. Such a thread wiki has proven effective on other sites to cut down on useless thread clutter and questions which have been answered repeatedly. The idea is simple. A community-editable wiki is inserted immediately beneath the OP to address current issues relating to the topic. Most OP/devs don't have the time to continually update their OP to address ongoing issues. Let's let the community do that for them!

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1193
Quote:
I don't know if that's accurate. That is, when the device has a wakelock and it has to do with those location nlp wakelocks, I don't believe the GPS is activated. GPS is only on when you see the icon in the notification bar as far as I'm aware. For instance, if I select "device only" or turn location completely off, I don't see the nlp wakelocks. I can only best guess that those background location services from Google only use your cell tower proximity to approximate location. In my experience, I don't detect any difference whatsoever between "high accuracy" and "battery saving" mode other than the nuisance of having to flip on GPS for maps, navigation, etc. when in battery saving mode.
I recommend setting location to device only. That's the only way to subdue the Nlp wakelocks. Battery drain is irrelevant unless you are using your GPS for hours a day. Battery drain is actually worse with wifi and network assistance because of the wakelocks.

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: BaNkS

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror

floepie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder View Post
I recommend setting location to device only. That's the only way to subdue the Nlp wakelocks. Battery drain is irrelevant unless you are using your GPS for hours a day. Battery drain is actually worse with wifi and network assistance because of the wakelocks.
Right, I'd just as soon keep it there. But, when I switch to device only, within 24 hours I get massive wakelocks from Search in the form of "entries refresh". When this happens, Google Now goes a bit berzerk in that it loses connection and can't refresh. Very strange.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10063
Quote:
There's an xposed module that puts the old gps active icon back in the status bar for kitkat. I find it quite useful.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.