Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

[Q] Advantage of Location battery saving setting?

OP floepie

31st January 2014, 10:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 363

1,743 posts
More
As far as I can see, the only advantage to the location battery saving mode is that it deactivates your device's GPS. If that's the only savings, then I tend to just leave it on its high accuracy setting. It's sort of a pain to be reminded of this when flipping on the maps or navigation apps which require GPS. And, I don't have that take over the GPS in rogue fashion. Are there other advantages of the location battery saving mode besides simply deactivating GPS?
31st January 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 156

875 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie

As far as I can see, the only advantage to the location battery saving mode is that it deactivates your device's GPS. If that's the only savings, then I tend to just leave it on its high accuracy setting. It's sort of a pain to be reminded of this when flipping on the maps or navigation apps which require GPS. And, I don't have that take over the GPS in rogue fashion. Are there other advantages of the location battery saving mode besides simply deactivating GPS?

Not that I know of. But GPS is a nasty battery drain depending on how many apps will do background requests of where you are (NlpWakeLock), which will go though the GPS if you have it set on high accuracy. It also kinda depends on how fast your gps can locate you, so if you are near a window it will consume less. Overall, I'd discourage you to leave it on, and if you really cant stand to turn it on when you need it, buy Tasker and make profiles to auto turn it on when needed
31st January 2014, 02:51 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam

1,743 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden83

Not that I know of. But GPS is a nasty battery drain depending on how many apps will do background requests of where you are (NlpWakeLock), which will go though the GPS if you have it set on high accuracy. It also kinda depends on how fast your gps can locate you, so if you are near a window it will consume less. Overall, I'd discourage you to leave it on, and if you really cant stand to turn it on when you need it, buy Tasker and make profiles to auto turn it on when needed

I don't know if that's accurate. That is, when the device has a wakelock and it has to do with those location nlp wakelocks, I don't believe the GPS is activated. GPS is only on when you see the icon in the notification bar as far as I'm aware. For instance, if I select "device only" or turn location completely off, I don't see the nlp wakelocks. I can only best guess that those background location services from Google only use your cell tower proximity to approximate location. In my experience, I don't detect any difference whatsoever between "high accuracy" and "battery saving" mode other than the nuisance of having to flip on GPS for maps, navigation, etc. when in battery saving mode.
31st January 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,261

3,156 posts
More
Quote:

I don't know if that's accurate. That is, when the device has a wakelock and it has to do with those location nlp wakelocks, I don't believe the GPS is activated. GPS is only on when you see the icon in the notification bar as far as I'm aware. For instance, if I select "device only" or turn location completely off, I don't see the nlp wakelocks. I can only best guess that those background location services from Google only use your cell tower proximity to approximate location. In my experience, I don't detect any difference whatsoever between "high accuracy" and "battery saving" mode other than the nuisance of having to flip on GPS for maps, navigation, etc. when in battery saving mode.

I recommend setting location to device only. That's the only way to subdue the Nlp wakelocks. Battery drain is irrelevant unless you are using your GPS for hours a day. Battery drain is actually worse with wifi and network assistance because of the wakelocks.
31st January 2014, 09:26 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam

1,743 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

I recommend setting location to device only. That's the only way to subdue the Nlp wakelocks. Battery drain is irrelevant unless you are using your GPS for hours a day. Battery drain is actually worse with wifi and network assistance because of the wakelocks.

Right, I'd just as soon keep it there. But, when I switch to device only, within 24 hours I get massive wakelocks from Search in the form of "entries refresh". When this happens, Google Now goes a bit berzerk in that it loses connection and can't refresh. Very strange.
31st January 2014, 10:32 PM   |  #6  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 12,170

23,178 posts
More
Quote:

There's an xposed module that puts the old gps active icon back in the status bar for kitkat. I find it quite useful.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread