XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Advise for rooting

Tip us?

bmaster7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Advise for rooting

Hello all and thanks in advance for your help. I just purchased a Nexus 5 on Sprint YIPPE. My main purpose for posting here is to see what is the best option for me. I want to stay as close to stock as possible. I am looking to get tether access on my phone, without being to invasive. I tried foxfi and could not get it to work on an unrooted phone. I also want to be able to get updates to KitKat when they are released. I am guessing that I just need to root, but do not have to unlock the bootloader?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7395
You cannot root without unlocking bootloader. Go to general and read stickies. There is a root thread and an ota thread. All you need to know is there

Edit > this is already in general. Please post questions in the q&a forum

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

jasonftfw
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaster7 View Post
Hello all and thanks in advance for your help. I just purchased a Nexus 5 on Sprint YIPPE. My main purpose for posting here is to see what is the best option for me. I want to stay as close to stock as possible. I am looking to get tether access on my phone, without being to invasive. I tried foxfi and could not get it to work on an unrooted phone. I also want to be able to get updates to KitKat when they are released. I am guessing that I just need to root, but do not have to unlock the bootloader?
unlock bootloader, root and then in superSU make sure to check survival mode. Keep everything stock if you want to get updates, but keep in mind OTA may not work, you may have to manually install updates. You can read more on that in this forum.