5,604,219 Members 48,959 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it alright to root the device before unlocking boot loader later?

Tip us?

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Actually it is true. You must unlock the nexus 5 bootloader to root
I guess theoretically you could root without unlocking the bootloader, but it would probably require a substantial amount of hacking. The phone I had before the N5 was like that, it was an AT&T Galaxy S4, and the bootloader was locked down, but it was still rootable with a CF script. Of course this is moot seeing as the Nexus is easily unlockable.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7493
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I guess theoretically you could root without unlocking the bootloader, but it would probably require a substantial amount of hacking. The phone I had before the N5 was like that, it was an AT&T Galaxy S4, and the bootloader was locked down, but it was still rootable with a CF script. Of course this is moot seeing as the Nexus is easily unlockable.
Lots of other phones can be rooted without unlocking the bootloader. Some don't even have locked bootloaders and yes, in theory an exploit could be found that roots this phone, however - in this nexus 5 thread, the op has asked a question and does not want an answer pertaining to theory or other devices.

When im answering nexus 5 specific threads, I shouldn't have to put a disclaimer that I am talking about the nexus 5. It is a given. Theory and other phones does not help the op root his nexus 5

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Wakamatsu
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
If you relock, then in the future you'll have to wipe your phone.
Not if you use this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1.bootunlocker

Unlocking the bootloader the first time requires fastboot, however.
Samsung Captivate I896
Rom: Slim Bean 4.2.2 build 7
Kernel: Semaphore 3.0.0sc
Modem: I9000BVJJV3

cmstlist
Old
Thanks Meter 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakamatsu View Post
Not if you use this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1.bootunlocker

Unlocking the bootloader the first time requires fastboot, however.
Nonetheless there are instances where this will not be an option. It is entirely conceivable to accidentally flash yourself into a corner where you have stock or otherwise unusable recovery, and a non-bootable system partition. Should this happen, the only way to save your data would be if you already have an unlocked bootloader so you can reflash custom recovery and get in at your data.

Wakamatsu
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Nonetheless there are instances where this will not be an option. It is entirely conceivable to accidentally flash yourself into a corner where you have stock or otherwise unusable recovery, and a non-bootable system partition. Should this happen, the only way to save your data would be if you already have an unlocked bootloader so you can reflash custom recovery and get in at your data.
Funny you should post. I just derped root on my phone. With bootloader locked and with stock recovery, my only option to reroot is fastboot. =\
Samsung Captivate I896

cmstlist
Old
Thanks Meter 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakamatsu View Post
Funny you should post. I just derped root on my phone. With bootloader locked and with stock recovery, my only option to reroot is fastboot. =\
Yeah... it happens.

In my case I had a situation with my Galaxy Nexus where its internal memory had a tendency to self-corrupt and render the phone into a mean boot-looping machine. Due to to the already-unlocked bootloader I was still able to get in and save my text messages. I would have been able to save my files photos and app data too but I unwittingly flashed over userdata.img which blanked my internal storage including nandroid backup.

I have never had warranty issues with the bootloader so that is not a concern. I recognize though that an unlocked bootloader is a potential security risk if someone steals your phone.

Wakamatsu
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
I recognize though that an unlocked bootloader is a potential security risk if someone steals your phone.
That's why I have it set up the way I did. Worked a little too well.
Samsung Captivate I896