android os wakelock.. only when connected to home wifi.

Search This thread

MarkGbe

Nov 30, 2010
Buffalo, NY
i've had this issue since ive had my nexus 4 on 4.3 and now it continues with my nexus 5 on 4.4

When i'm connected to my home wifi, 'android OS' will show on my battery usage as the highest offender, causing the phone to stay awake 90% of the time. This doesn't happen when im at work on the wifi and also doesn't happen when on mobile data.

Any ideas on this? i'm been messing around with wifi settings but no luck. i have a router and a separate wifi access point at home. Could it be the router?

Thanks

abtekk

Apr 1, 2011
London
i've had this issue since ive had my nexus 4 on 4.3 and now it continues with my nexus 5 on 4.4

When i'm connected to my home wifi, 'android OS' will show on my battery usage as the highest offender, causing the phone to stay awake 90% of the time. This doesn't happen when im at work on the wifi and also doesn't happen when on mobile data.

Any ideas on this? i'm been messing around with wifi settings but no luck. i have a router and a separate wifi access point at home. Could it be the router?

Thanks

Easy fix: Don't connect to home wifi! *lulz*

No really though, tried other ROMs? Could possibly be the router if it doesn't happen to other connections. What router is it?

MarkGbe

Nov 30, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Easy fix: Don't connect to home wifi! *lulz*

No really though, tried other ROMs? Could possibly be the router if it doesn't happen to other connections. What router is it?

I have not tried roms, its bone stock unrooted. I have a linksys wrt54g router(tomato) and a tplink wa901nd access point(stock firmware , tried openwrt with the same wakelock issues)

I'm thinking i might have to eliminate the access point to see if the issues goes away or not, then maybe replace the router.

abtekk

Apr 1, 2011
London
I have not tried roms, its bone stock unrooted. I have a linksys wrt54g router(tomato) and a tplink wa901nd access point(stock firmware , tried openwrt with the same wakelock issues)

I'm thinking i might have to eliminate the access point to see if the issues goes away or not, then maybe replace the router.

Connect to them both individually, just see if the issue persists. Maybe the router is sending messages to Android?

littleemp

May 18, 2011
I think I'm getting this as well. If I'm connected to Wifi and leave my phone on standby it will drain 8-12% per hour, but if I leave it on mobile data it will drain only 0.5-1% per hour. I'm going to download BetterBatteryStats and see if I can find the process causing this.

alistairs1

Oct 23, 2012
wlan_rx_wake

A fairly common and problematic cause of this can be identified by wlan_rx_wake being the highest wakelock keeping the phone awake as seen in betterbatterystats or similar.

There is a great thread listing all the likely causes:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2519294

But whether you can isolate which cause or whether you can do anything about it is another story. For me it eventually turned out to be traffic generated from Windows machine on my network, I followed the advice to Disable IPv6, IP Helper service, shell hardware detection service and the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service on each Windows PC and my stay awake time from Android OS plummeted from hours to minutes which I can deal with.