Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more
Thread Closed

[Q] APK and Aptoide Files

OP ohhdavid

26th November 2013, 07:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 20

157 posts
More
For some reason, on my Nexus 5 (also it seems on KitKat in general because I had this issue on a buddies Nexus 4) it seems that when I download an APK file (or if I try to click a link to install an app from Aptoide via Chrome) the downloaded file does not work right. For Aptoide files pops up a notification that says it can not open that type of file. For APK's, it oddly enough initiates a popup for Nova launcher to restore settings from another launcher to Nova. Please, do not suggest that I uninstall Nova.. that may possibly solve the symptom of opening up Nova when I click an APK but doesn't solve the problem. With Nova uninstalled, it just says 'can not open file' like the Aptoide files.

FYI Aptoide files, pre-KitKat on my old Nexus 4, would open up Aptoide and install the app I clicked on in the browser as it is designed. Obviously, APK files would bring up the built-in installer.

Suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?
3rd December 2013, 02:14 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhdavid

For some reason, on my Nexus 5 (also it seems on KitKat in general because I had this issue on a buddies Nexus 4) it seems that when I download an APK file (or if I try to click a link to install an app from Aptoide via Chrome) the downloaded file does not work right. For Aptoide files pops up a notification that says it can not open that type of file. For APK's, it oddly enough initiates a popup for Nova launcher to restore settings from another launcher to Nova. Please, do not suggest that I uninstall Nova.. that may possibly solve the symptom of opening up Nova when I click an APK but doesn't solve the problem. With Nova uninstalled, it just says 'can not open file' like the Aptoide files.

FYI Aptoide files, pre-KitKat on my old Nexus 4, would open up Aptoide and install the app I clicked on in the browser as it is designed. Obviously, APK files would bring up the built-in installer.

I'm having the same Nova/APK issue - on my GS3 (d2att) running CM 10.2 if I download an APK file then tap to open it from the notification bar or the Downloads app, it brings up the same Nova message you are getting. However, if I open the file from within the File Manager app it loads correctly. Very strange - wish I knew how to correct this without removing Nova...
The Following User Says Thank You to neilgoldsworthy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd December 2013, 02:42 PM   |  #3  
Flag Bogor
Thanks Meter: 0

31 posts
More
24th December 2013, 12:44 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 20

157 posts
More
Bump... Anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
10th January 2014, 11:34 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

35 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhdavid

Same problem here. "Solved" it by installing the apk thru root browser. Still not sure why it's behaving like this..
10th January 2014, 02:29 PM   |  #6  
Senior Moderator - Resident Troll Killer
Flag Somewhere in a Deep Cave on the Troll Kings Throne
Thanks Meter: 6,116

7,343 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thread closed
The application in question, is used basically like a client server app, similar to torrents. Unfortunately, although it can be used for good purposes, it also allows paid apps to be distributed, thus constituting "warez", which of course is against XDA rules.

Thread closed.

MD
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread