Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,721 Members 52,119 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] APK and Aptoide Files

Tip us?

ohhdavid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default [Q] APK and Aptoide Files

For some reason, on my Nexus 5 (also it seems on KitKat in general because I had this issue on a buddies Nexus 4) it seems that when I download an APK file (or if I try to click a link to install an app from Aptoide via Chrome) the downloaded file does not work right. For Aptoide files pops up a notification that says it can not open that type of file. For APK's, it oddly enough initiates a popup for Nova launcher to restore settings from another launcher to Nova. Please, do not suggest that I uninstall Nova.. that may possibly solve the symptom of opening up Nova when I click an APK but doesn't solve the problem. With Nova uninstalled, it just says 'can not open file' like the Aptoide files.

FYI Aptoide files, pre-KitKat on my old Nexus 4, would open up Aptoide and install the app I clicked on in the browser as it is designed. Obviously, APK files would bring up the built-in installer.

Suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?

neilgoldsworthy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhdavid View Post
For some reason, on my Nexus 5 (also it seems on KitKat in general because I had this issue on a buddies Nexus 4) it seems that when I download an APK file (or if I try to click a link to install an app from Aptoide via Chrome) the downloaded file does not work right. For Aptoide files pops up a notification that says it can not open that type of file. For APK's, it oddly enough initiates a popup for Nova launcher to restore settings from another launcher to Nova. Please, do not suggest that I uninstall Nova.. that may possibly solve the symptom of opening up Nova when I click an APK but doesn't solve the problem. With Nova uninstalled, it just says 'can not open file' like the Aptoide files.

FYI Aptoide files, pre-KitKat on my old Nexus 4, would open up Aptoide and install the app I clicked on in the browser as it is designed. Obviously, APK files would bring up the built-in installer.

I'm having the same Nova/APK issue - on my GS3 (d2att) running CM 10.2 if I download an APK file then tap to open it from the notification bar or the Downloads app, it brings up the same Nova message you are getting. However, if I open the file from within the File Manager app it loads correctly. Very strange - wish I knew how to correct this without removing Nova...
The Following User Says Thank You to neilgoldsworthy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brandalz
Old
Thanks Meter 0

ohhdavid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Bump... Anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

tidsoptimist
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhdavid View Post

Same problem here. "Solved" it by installing the apk thru root browser. Still not sure why it's behaving like this..

Moscow Desire
Old
Senior Moderator - Resident Troll Killer
Thanks Meter 5896

DONATE TO ME
Default Thread closed

The application in question, is used basically like a client server app, similar to torrents. Unfortunately, although it can be used for good purposes, it also allows paid apps to be distributed, thus constituting "warez", which of course is against XDA rules.

Thread closed.

MD

Want to avoid a vacation to the Frostlands? Then Follow the XDA Rules Here

Though I walk among the trolls, I fear them not, for I am the Troll King
Killen dem Trolls since 2011
Acer Iconia A701***A501***ExPlay X-Tremer***HTC Desire***Desire S
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe