5,605,311 Members 39,076 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] is there an app to monitor the charging power?

Tip us?
 
EarlZ
Old
#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 271
Posts: 5,659
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
They don't represent what's being taken in though. More like what's being used

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Try plugging a charger in and it will show you the current charged amount, with out a charger it shows how much is getting used.
Nexus 5 32GB D820
Stock ROM, Franco Kernel
 
rootSU
Old
#12  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7512
Posts: 18,124
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlZ View Post
Try plugging a charger in and it will show you the current charged amount, with out a charger it shows how much is getting used.
Actually no, it will show you the differential between what is being used and what is being charged, which would be a negative or positive number. That's not what we're looking for. We want the charging only

If you want to find what we're looking for, an app should be showing us something like this:

Usb 2: 475-500mA
Usb 3: 875-900mA
AC: 1200mA

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
 
jefftheworld
Old
#13  
jefftheworld's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 73
Posts: 66
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
If you cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/uevent the value next to POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW seems to be random. Whether plugged in or not it gives me a random signed number (positive or negative). This _could_ be a differential but on my Nexus S this returned input current, so I don't believe that's what it is.

That makes me think that google has done some shifting around of the function as clearly even their own composite functions don't return correct values.
Check out my three free albums on Google Music! Enjoy!
 
EarlZ
Old
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 271
Posts: 5,659
Join Date: Jun 2010
Sorry, I dont get it.

When plugged into the wall outlet it shows me a reading of 1100mAH, plugged into my power bank it shows me between 600-700mAH..

The Galaxy charging app on the note2 which shows me 1699mAH as my charge rate while the app I mentioned above shows me 1500+

To me that is already a charge rate indicator.

Keep us posted if you find something, id be interested on it too so I can check how much a power bank actually charges before deciding to get a new one. I've been testing a few ones and alot of them only show a charge rate of 200-300mAH aside from the one I have at 600-700mAH
Nexus 5 32GB D820
Stock ROM, Franco Kernel
 
rootSU
Old
#15  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7512
Posts: 18,124
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
If you cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/uevent the value next to POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW seems to be random. Whether plugged in or not it gives me a random signed number (positive or negative). This _could_ be a differential but on my Nexus S this returned input current, so I don't believe that's what it is.

That makes me think that google has done some shifting around of the function as clearly even their own composite functions don't return correct values.
This is my feeling too

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlZ View Post
Sorry, I dont get it.

When plugged into the wall outlet it shows me a reading of 1100mAH, plugged into my power bank it shows me between 600-700mAH..

The Galaxy charging app on the note2 which shows me 1699mAH as my charge rate while the app I mentioned above shows me 1500+

To me that is already a charge rate indicator.

Keep us posted if you find something, id be interested on it too so I can check how much a power bank actually charges before deciding to get a new one. I've been testing a few ones and alot of them only show a charge rate of 200-300mAH aside from the one I have at 600-700mAH
Do you have a nexus 5 specifically?

Galaxy charging app doesn't give me any useful result unlike on my s3.

Current Widget fluctuates massively between 100 and 600mA when NOT charging. When I plug a charger in, it fluctuates between a number that appears to be what the source provides minus the above fluctuating number.

Eg I plug my 1200mA wall plug, my numbers fluctuate between about 1100 and 500mA. I have it to.update every second and every second is massively software.

Perhaps my usb cable is "unstable" if you're getting the correct readings however all the usual locations of charge current in /sys/class/power_ supply no longer seem to contain the info

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...