Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,990 Members 37,769 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] System app vs User app functionality

Tip us?

wardawgmalvicious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by helioXverse View Post
Here, this should might be what you're looking for.

http://ricston.com/blog/explaining-b...onsystem-apps/

Hope it helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
Very helpful, thank you! Just what I was looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wardawgmalvicious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy5876 View Post
System apps get stored in /system partition. User apps in /data partition. System partition is read only so system Apks cannot be uninstalled except by mounting rw. Finally updates for system apps land in /data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
I appreciate that, so it seems to me system apps get no more functions or advantages over user apps. Am I correct?

handy5876
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Android apps will get no more permissions then what is coded in the app by the dev and accepted by user at time of installation. There is no difference in permissions for user and system apps. System apps come installed so you don't have any choice.
Note that these permissions pertain to android specific permissions like internet connectivity etc. Unix su permissions are different and both user and system apps can request superuser privileges.

So the bottom line is no difference in functionality. Only one diff system apps will survive factory reset.
My Android Apps - Android Play Store Link
Website - Think Sparks
My Dev devices - MDPI - Tablet Karbonn ST8, HDPI - HTC Desire with JB 4.1, XXHDPI - Nexus 5 Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to handy5876 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wardawgmalvicious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy5876 View Post
Android apps will get no more permissions then what is coded in the app by the dev and accepted by user at time of installation. There is no difference in permissions for user and system apps. System apps come installed so you don't have any choice.
Note that these permissions pertain to android specific permissions like internet connectivity etc. Unix su permissions are different and both user and system apps can request superuser privileges.

So the bottom line is no difference in functionality. Only one diff system apps will survive factory reset.
I appreciate your response, a wealth of knowledge. Thank you very much!