Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,012 Members 54,108 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Arrrggh - The unit powers on but the screen $&?@#! won't turn on .

Tip us?

GMTN
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question [Q] Arrrggh - The unit powers on but the screen $&?@#! won't turn on .

Phone was at about 70 % plugged in at the time.
I went to check on something and the screen wouldn't turn on. It vibrates when I hold down the power buttons.

Initially I thought it was corrupted somehow so I flashed it using adb, fastboot command. I think I've flashed it properly . I even did it again for the heck of it using wugfresh. I can see it on the PC as Nexus 5.

Now I realize that it's probably the screen. It was dropped in water a few months ago but it's been okay since I replaced the battery. I pull the battery and plugged it in, there was no white battery charging indicator.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
Asus Transformer - KatKiss Rom KK 4.4.3 v29
HP Touchpad - ICS CM9
Samsung Tab 2 7.0 Stock
Samsung Galaxy s1 - SuperNexus Rom 4.2.2
Kobo Vox - Piece of garbage
Nook HD+ , Stock, Nova Prime
Apple Ipad 2
BlackBerry Playbook

bitdomo
Old
Thanks Meter 610
Disassemble phone to check morherboard and screen for corrosion. Try to clean the connection points if possible. Depending on the problem you may have to buy a new screen or motherboard or both.
The Following User Says Thank You to bitdomo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johmama
Old
Thanks Meter 274

DONATE TO ME
Can you see the internal storage through your computer and manipulate files and whatnot?

One thing you can try that isn't intrusive is to try a Slimport adapter and seeing if you can get the screen to show on a TV/monitor. If you can, that pretty much confirms it's the screen, and you can proceed to do what the above post suggests.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johmama For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GMTN
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo View Post
Disassemble phone to check morherboard and screen for corrosion. Try to clean the connection points if possible. Depending on the problem you may have to buy a new screen or motherboard or both.
I took it apart and noticed a tiny bit of corrosion through the magnifying glass and cleaned as best as I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johmama View Post
Can you see the internal storage through your computer and manipulate files and whatnot?

One thing you can try that isn't intrusive is to try a Slimport adapter and seeing if you can get the screen to show on a TV/monitor. If you can, that pretty much confirms it's the screen, and you can proceed to do what the above post suggests.
I can see the internal storage. There's nothing on it because I did a stock re-install but I can see all the folders.

The Slimport adapter is a good idea to confirm if it's a screen issue. I'll look into it to see if it works just by plugging it in . If so, I'll grab one off e-flea.
Asus Transformer - KatKiss Rom KK 4.4.3 v29
HP Touchpad - ICS CM9
Samsung Tab 2 7.0 Stock
Samsung Galaxy s1 - SuperNexus Rom 4.2.2
Kobo Vox - Piece of garbage
Nook HD+ , Stock, Nova Prime
Apple Ipad 2
BlackBerry Playbook