[Q] Should I use ART instead of Dalvik?

Search This thread

DRatJr

Device info:
Nexus 5 (hammerhead / sprint)
Android 4.4.2 Kit kat
Stock Rooted

Now, I have read this thread and a couple of others so I have a very basic understanding of ART and Dalvik. (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2536979). I see a lot of people using ART though, and I am wondering whether or not I should use it? The biggest thing I see is users asking whether or not a certain app/mod is compatible with ART. Is this a big issue with ART and custom apps/mods? Also, if I select ART, will my apps automatically begin "converting" to ART?

Any other information would be helpful as well. Don't need info about what the two are, mainly info on if I switched to ART, stayed on dalvik, or wanted to try ART but wanted to go back to Dalvik (such as any problems I'd face?).

Thanks!

ShahzaadT

Oct 15, 2013
Cape Town
You can switch to ART and when you do the phone will reboot and the apps will start to upgrade when you boot. Some apps are not compatible with ART as its still a work in process but the speeds on ART are impressive. You can always switch back to Dalvik and the phone will reboot again upgrading the apps back to dalvik

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
You can try it if you like. I don't see a noticeable difference. I haven't had issues with apps. It'll take awhile to boot the first time so let it do it's thing. You can always go back

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
I switched back to Dvalik after using ART for a couple of weeks to see the difference. It's definitely noticeable that ART is faster!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk