Search This thread

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Southeast
Samsung Galaxy S21+
AIO Wireless is an AT&T MVNO
i tried using their AIO Basic Plan witch is for basic phones only
http://www.aiowireless.com/shop.html
i could call and text but data was disabled.

I am referring to using an AT&T sim on AT&T account, not MVNO.
What people used to do was get a non-smart phone data plan, unlimited for $10/mo, then change to smart phone. Different reports came of AT&T identifying these non-AT&T phones as smart phones, vs. other cases where AT&T did not identify the non-AT&T phone as a smart phone. So I was just wondering about the Nexus 5 since AT&T doesn't carry it and doesn't sell it.

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
I am referring to using an AT&T sim on AT&T account, not MVNO.
What people used to do was get a non-smart phone data plan, unlimited for $10/mo, then change to smart phone. Different reports came of AT&T identifying these non-AT&T phones as smart phones, vs. other cases where AT&T did not identify the non-AT&T phone as a smart phone. So I was just wondering about the Nexus 5 since AT&T doesn't carry it and doesn't sell it.

All AT&T MVNO share like a IMEI database sort of how T-Mobile shares their blacklisted IMEI with AT&T
if a AT&T MVNO blocks it so does AT&T they share the database on witch to block.. it doesn't hurt to try though

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Southeast
Samsung Galaxy S21+
All AT&T MVNO share like a IMEI database sort of how T-Mobile shares their blacklisted IMEI with AT&T
if a AT&T MVNO blocks it so does AT&T they share the database on witch to block.. it doesn't hurt to try though

You lost me. Why would MVNO block a phone? Say I buy a Nexus 5 from Google, can I not use it with StraightTalk for example? Why would it be blocked?

divinewisdom

Nov 23, 2009
You lost me. Why would MVNO block a phone? Say I buy a Nexus 5 from Google, can I not use it with StraightTalk for example? Why would it be blocked?

He is just saying it as an example. Someone reports the phone as lost or stolen, it can be blacklisted across carrier.

Back to your original question, yes you will be detected as a smart phone. Google/LG shares imei database with att. Just like nexus 4 and gnex.

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany
The AIO thing is different I think in that data is blocked not because you are on a smartphone but it's blocked on that plan.

AT&T can easily identify said phones as a Nexus as they share a similar IMEI. I don't know if LG/Samsung send AT&T a list of their IMEIs but either way it's not hard for AT&T to add it to their list based on just 1 sample.

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Southeast
Samsung Galaxy S21+
The AIO thing is different I think in that data is blocked not because you are on a smartphone but it's blocked on that plan.

AT&T can easily identify said phones as a Nexus as they share a similar IMEI. I don't know if LG/Samsung send AT&T a list of their IMEIs but either way it's not hard for AT&T to add it to their list based on just 1 sample.

Pardon the ignorance, but what is AIO?

The basis for my question is, and the example that I brought earlier, the same phone but different model; Galaxy S2 has its international unlocked version, but also AT&T sells its own version of S2. This is not the case with the Nexus - it only comes unlocked, AT&T does not sell the Nexus, this is why I am questioning this.

Thanks.

Landara

Feb 21, 2011
Brunswick, GA
I have AIO and it works flawlessly. Just gotta manually put in your APN just like with any other carrier and an unlocked GSM phone.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Pardon the ignorance, but what is AIO?

The basis for my question is, and the example that I brought earlier, the same phone but different model; Galaxy S2 has its international unlocked version, but also AT&T sells its own version of S2. This is not the case with the Nexus - it only comes unlocked, AT&T does not sell the Nexus, this is why I am questioning this.

Thanks.

Aio is a pre-paid wireless carrier which is wholly owned and operated by AT&T. It uses AT&T personnel, networks, towers, etc...

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Southeast
Samsung Galaxy S21+
I have AIO and it works flawlessly. Just gotta manually put in your APN just like with any other carrier and an unlocked GSM phone.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Aio is a pre-paid wireless carrier which is wholly owned and operated by AT&T. It uses AT&T personnel, networks, towers, etc...

OK, but I am not talking about AIO or MVNO, I am talking about an AT&T sim card on an AT&T family plan (outside contract). You have a 'dumb' phone on your family plan, you add non smart-phone data for $10. You take the sim and put it in a smart phone that was not purchased from AT&T, is not AT&T phone and AT&T doesn't even sell it (e.g. Nexus 5). Will AT&T network - again, I am on AT&T, not AIO - identify it as a smart phone. Looking to hear from people with experience on this. With my personal experience they did not identify other phones in similar situation, even phones that they sell. I am just curious about the Nexus 5 in particular.

Thanks.

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
OK, but I am not talking about AIO or MVNO, I am talking about an AT&T sim card on an AT&T family plan (outside contract). You have a 'dumb' phone on your family plan, you add non smart-phone data for $10. You take the sim and put it in a smart phone that was not purchased from AT&T, is not AT&T phone and AT&T doesn't even sell it (e.g. Nexus 5). Will AT&T network - again, I am on AT&T, not AIO - identify it as a smart phone. Looking to hear from people with experience on this. With my personal experience they did not identify other phones in similar situation, even phones that they sell. I am just curious about the Nexus 5 in particular.

Thanks.

They will identify it.. How can a billion dollar company not spot this.. of course they would identify it and try squeeze more money from you

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
See third and last post
http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Nexus-5-on-Att/td-p/3840723#.Ur43I_RDuSo
The Nexus 5 is a huge device and they will pick it up

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

Because they don't always identify it...it's a fact.

Even if they don't pick it up, eventually you will get blocked and they will tell you to upgrade your plan

Edit: XDA isn't the place to ask this question not that many people have that plan you want try Howardforums
Edit2: i asked for you.

Last edited:

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Here's your answer

qyzyhyja.jpg

Like what I said about aio. Its at&ts network just different name brand they control it and boom same effect.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

soldiersinx

Jul 25, 2011
My wife originally had the nexus 4 on the non-smartphone data plan on att and was never detected. I just upgraded her to the nexus 5 and now they automatically added a data plan for her :( I was looking at my account and it is not registering as any type of phone yet though.

Last edited: